Drift Trike Central (builders and riders forum)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Drift Trike Central (builders and riders forum)
Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 19:22 Quote
DHFreerider74 wrote:
Hey guys I know this thread hasn't been active in a while but I will soon be starting my drift trike. I have 2 questions what is the best front wheel size and what are the most commonly used tubes for building the frame.
A 20" BMX wheel is a cheap and easy front wheel and is used quite commonly. As for tubing, just chop up and use an old BMX frame. Basically, just find a shit BMX and cannibalize it. All you will really need to source after that is the rear wheels and some sort of axle assembly (which you can probably just make).

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 22:06 Quote
And some other easy things, like a seat, bars,grips, stem (most of this can be used from the shit bmx you buy) but you can use an old tractor seat or a lawnmower seat, also need to find a brake but you can use a bmx v-brake on the front.

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 23:45 Quote
DHFreerider74 wrote:
Hey guys I know this thread hasn't been active in a while but I will soon be starting my drift trike. I have 2 questions what is the best front wheel size and what are the most commonly used tubes for building the frame.
I use 18 inch front wheel but thats just the size of wheel i found with pedals on it but 20 inch works great for ones using pegs, I ride both

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 1:15 Quote
recklessness wrote:
DHFreerider74 wrote:
A 20" BMX wheel is a cheap and easy front wheel and is used quite commonly. As for tubing, just chop up and use an old BMX frame. Basically, just find a shit BMX and cannibalize it. All you will really need to source after that is the rear wheels and some sort of axle assembly (which you can probably just make).

What I've seen was, grab 2 bigass bolts and nuts, not yours, and weld a washer to the top of it, now you have the surface to weld it to a bigger tube that would do the job for rear axle and support for the seat, put the wheel on the nut and tighen a nut to keep the wheel in place

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 12:45 Quote
jespinal wrote:
recklessness wrote:
DHFreerider74 wrote:

What I've seen was, grab 2 bigass bolts and nuts, not yours, and weld a washer to the top of it, now you have the surface to weld it to a bigger tube that would do the job for rear axle and support for the seat, put the wheel on the nut and tighen a nut to keep the wheel in place
thats what I did and that works best and keeps it strong and a lot lighter

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 15:39 Quote
Okay I have 2 frames to strip so that will be okay and I have a 20 inch sitting around so that is covered also. Anything you guys know of that will take rust of a threaded rod?

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 16:25 Quote
DHFreerider74 wrote:
Okay I have 2 frames to strip so that will be okay and I have a 20 inch sitting around so that is covered also. Anything you guys know of that will take rust of a threaded rod?
Any wire wheel that spins fast.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 22:22 Quote
recklessness wrote:
DHFreerider74 wrote:
Any wire wheel that spins fast.
i use a wire wheel bit on a drill

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 4:48 Quote
Alright thanks for the answers guys but I have 1 question left and I can not get this nut loose I have tried everything I can to try to get it loose any recommendations? I used a wire wheel to remove the rust worked fantastic thanks.

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 10:08 Quote
DHFreerider74 wrote:
Alright thanks for the answers guys but I have 1 question left and I can not get this nut loose I have tried everything I can to try to get it loose any recommendations? I used a wire wheel to remove the rust worked fantastic thanks.
try spraying WD40 on it or soak it in a bit of gasoline, if that doesnt work just get a new one cuz the threads might be damaged other wise

Posted: Aug 29, 2013 at 16:20 Quote
Penetrating oil and/or heat.

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 13:06 Quote
Anyone considered buying one online pre-made? I don't have mad hookups to welding equipment so I can't really make my own frame, I have sources for all the parts I need though... Or does anyone know of a place in the Kitchener area that does welding, or someone that does decent welding?

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 13:08 Quote
I ain't dropping 500 dorrah in a trike son

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 13:17 Quote
That is true, they will rip you off really bad, but if you're like me and don't have anywhere or anyone that welds it's kinda the only option.... I'm also in no hurry to make one as I have my DJ bike I'm saving for, my AM build to finish, the vintage fixie to do all before another project.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023847
Mobile Version of Website