Help and advice for freeride/DH bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Help and advice for freeride/DH bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 at 11:44 Quote
Hi guys.

New to the forum.

My mates looking to get back into downhill (uni degree finishing soon) and I perhaps stupidly have agreed to look into purchasing a suitable bike for this sort of riding too. He was regularly travelling round the country, Glentress Fort William etc a few years back competing at a junior level.
Iv had a few XC bikes in the past and have a fair bit of experience on trail riding Hamsterly Kielder etc, but havnt attempted anything as extreme as downhill biking up to now.

Im looking at buying a second hand frame and building the bike up. Think this way i should save some money and get a decent spec. Any parts that are subject to a lot of abuse i'll look to buy new. Drivetrain etc. Budget of probably around £1500. Im around 5 foot 9 and under 80kgs so im thinking a 15-16 inch frame is probably going to be the right size?

So far i have been looking at Giant Glory's or Orange 224's / patriots. I like the idea of having a lowish maintenace bike, which is why i was looking at the orange's, I believe them being single pivot helps with the maintenance side of things. My mate rides one of these so knows the ins and outs.

Any thing else i should be considering bike wise, or any advice. (other than a decent helmet!)

Thanks

Posted: Sep 8, 2013 at 14:17 Quote
Sounds like you have things planned out pretty well. I'd say 16 or 17 inch frame. I'd say the maestro suspension of the glory wins out over an orange bike though, having almost no brake jack on the glory is great imo.

Decent fullface helmet, cheap goggles, good knee pads that won't slip down when you're riding. You don't need a leatt or atlas brace to start with, you can get a cheap evs foam one and attatch it to your body armor if you need extra protection. Since you say that you haven't done anything this extreme yet, getting armor is probably a good idea.

Good luck!

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 22:24 Quote
sturdy wheels are a must

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013348
Mobile Version of Website