The official BOS thread

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The official BOS thread
Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 3:00 Quote
Meerkat82 wrote:
Hi all.

Have noticed over the past few rides that my BOS idylle fcv rare have been super stiff when first compressing the forks. And now have no sag when i stand central on the bike and have to bunny hop hard on the spot to get a little movement happening.
They were perfect after a recent service and its only started happening the last 3 rides.
I tried dropping the psi down heaps and same result still had no sag or movement when standing still.
Did notice last ride that they felt a little harder than usual and was only using about 50% travel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Check your pressure. Did you put in the recommended pressure for your weight and stop, or did you Max the pressure and then drop it to the required pressure?
It does make a difference.
Bleed all the air out and start again and Max the pressure and drop it.
If it still does it then take it back to whoever serviced it.

Was the axle fitted correctly? Some people just tighten both sets of pinch bolts without letting the floating axle sit into its optimum position first.

Also it's worth making sure it is all lined up correctly.
They can twist easily causing bushing binding.
Check this by removing the front wheel and sliding the axle in and out. If it's not smooth and it binds then it's twisted.
If so, do this.
Leave the front wheel fitted.
Bleed all the air.
Loosen all crown bolts apart from one side on the lower crown.
Compress the stanchions to full depth.(push the top of the stanchions NOT the bars)
Gently twist the bars both directions and let them settle in the middle.
With the fork fully compressed, Re tighten the crown bolts making sure the stanchion tops are level.
Remove the wheel and make sure the axle slides in and out without friction, then refit the wheel.
Pump up the fork to Max pressure, then release to the required pressure.
When extended, remove the wheel again and check that the axle still slides in and out without any friction.
If it goes in smooth, it's all aligned.
If it doesn't, do it again!
Hope this helps....

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 16:44 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
Meerkat82 wrote:
Hi all.

Have noticed over the past few rides that my BOS idylle fcv rare have been super stiff when first compressing the forks. And now have no sag when i stand central on the bike and have to bunny hop hard on the spot to get a little movement happening.
They were perfect after a recent service and its only started happening the last 3 rides.
I tried dropping the psi down heaps and same result still had no sag or movement when standing still.
Did notice last ride that they felt a little harder than usual and was only using about 50% travel.

Check your pressure. Did you put in the recommended pressure for your weight and stop, or did you Max the pressure and then drop it to the required pressure?

Was the axle fitted correctly? Some people just tighten both sets of pinch bolts without letting the floating axle sit into its optimum position first.

Check this by removing the front wheel and sliding the axle in and out. If it's not smooth and it binds then it's twisted.
If so, do this.
Bleed all the air.
Compress the stanchions to full depth.(push the top of the stanchions NOT the bars)
With the fork fully compressed, Re tighten the crown bolts making sure the stanchion tops are level.
Remove the wheel and make sure the axle slides in and out without friction, then refit the wheel.
When extended, remove the wheel again and check that the axle still slides in and out without any friction.
Hope this helps....
Thanks Dan.
Followed your guide and there was a allignment issue which this fixed but pumping the fork back up it would only goto 200psi max which is where i usually run the psi and during this process i noticed air and oil bubbling from the rebound adjustment. And then same issue again the fork was full rigid and took 15 small compressions before i had movement in the forks. After seeing the air and oil bubbling im guessing there is a internal issue thats beyond my knowledge so will send the forks off to get inspected.
Thanks for the reply and will post results once i hear back from the service.

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 17:18 Quote
Meerkat82 wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
Meerkat82 wrote:
Hi all.

If so, do this.
Bleed all the air.
Hope this helps....
Thanks Dan.
Followed your guide and there was a allignment issue which this fixed but pumping the fork back up it would only goto 200psi max which is where i usually run the psi and during this process i noticed air and oil bubbling from the rebound adjustment. And then same issue again the fork was full rigid and took 15 small compressions before i had movement in the forks. After seeing the air and oil bubbling im guessing there is a internal issue thats beyond my knowledge so will send the forks off to get inspected.
Thanks for the reply and will post results once i hear back from the service.
Sounds like a dodgy o ring in the air spring.
Take it back to whoever serviced it!

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 11:12 Quote
Looks like sc. Me no want sc, me want dc

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 11:20 Quote
enzu wrote:
Looks like sc. Me no want sc, me want dc

photo

Is that more to your liking? Razz
Not sure if it`s a render of their new MTB or MX fork but it looks more like 200 than 300mm of travel

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 11:28 Quote
You had my curiosity but now you have my attention

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 23:36 Quote
DirtyLove wrote:
I brought them on here. Long story, but I was right; someone had tried to modify them The guy I got them off had no idea they'd been tampered with and gave me a full refund. Off topic, but Bos are a nightmare to deal with! They make out like they used the Devinci code to design their kit and you'll die, or cause the end of the world if you look inside your forks! In stark contrast, Sram tech have full guides on Youtube to help you service your forks
Blablablup123 wrote:
DirtyLove wrote:
So I brought some Idylle SC airs and they seem to have been f*cked up!

When fully compressed they don't fully extend again.

I think some tit has cut the air damper unit down

WTF

Here's an example of a dual crown version grabbed from a Youtube video with an extraflanged section with an O ring on the end
Original

I'm pretty p!ssed off and wan't to know if anyof you guys have a Idylle SC and can see if I'm right about this?

Where did you buy it?

This part of Idylle SC looks quite normal.
I had serviced couple and it looks like that.
Do You still have this problem ?

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 6:08 Quote
2014 Bos Deville 160
Guys, I hope someone can shed some light on this please.
The story so far, about 6 weeks ago the above fork developed a knocking noise on the damper side when rebounding anywhere within the stroke,although more noticeable at the start.
I took it to be serviced at my local suspension workshop and thought that would resolve the issue. But 4 strip downs and some new parts later I still have the same issue.

Something to throw into the mix here is my service manual for oil level check state 50mm,whilst suspension guy has information stating 75mm !! Which is correct? And also when checking oil level by bleeding damper (rebound set to slowest) the rebound rod is very stiff to pull out and in, is this normal ?
I have tried both oil levels with 50mm setting being slightly noisier but both cause a knocking.

I reset the air pressure balancing the chambers at regular intervals but now at a loss as to what to try to remove this problem.

Basically this is starting to make myself and suspension guy look foolish so any advice or set up tips to try would be most welcome.

Cheers

Mark

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:18 Quote
If I were in your situation I would pack it and send it to France to BOS.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
Yes it might come to that, but having dealt with Bos before I know it'll take about a month !

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 12:47 Quote
mm63mark wrote:
2014 Bos Deville 160
The story so far, about 6 weeks ago the above fork developed a knocking noise on the damper side when rebounding anywhere within the stroke,although more noticeable at the start.
I took it to be serviced at my local suspension workshop and thought that would resolve the issue. But 4 strip downs and some new parts later I still have the same issue.

Something to throw into the mix here is my service manual for oil level check state 50mm,whilst suspension guy has information stating 75mm !! Which is correct? And also when checking oil level by bleeding damper (rebound set to slowest) the rebound rod is very stiff to pull out and in, is this normal ?
I have tried both oil levels with 50mm setting being slightly noisier but both cause a knocking.

I reset the air pressure balancing the chambers at regular intervals but now at a loss as to what to try to remove this problem.

Basically this is starting to make myself and suspension guy look foolish so any advice or set up tips to try would be most welcome.

Cheers

Mark

not very loud knocking ?
Mostly in low temperature ?
on any set of damping ? Have You tried change LSC/HSC/rebound - knocking is still there ?

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
mm63mark wrote:
Yes it might come to that, but having dealt with Bos before I know it'll take about a month !
lol lol lol lol lol more like 6 months!lol lol lol lol

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 14:34 Quote
jergus wrote:
mm63mark wrote:
2014 Bos Deville 160

Cheers

Mark

not very loud knocking ?
Mostly in low temperature ?
on any set of damping ? Have You tried change LSC/HSC/rebound - knocking is still there ?

It's not really been that cold lately and never had a problem in the cold before,
It seems to get a bit worse if I speed up the rebound,but no difference with compression settings

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
So I have a 2014 Deville fork with 140mm of travel an I'm wondering would it be at all possible to increase the travel to say 150 or 160mm similar to a pike??

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014495
Mobile Version of Website