The official BOS thread

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The official BOS thread
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 10:23 Quote
Thanks a ton! It's definetly not topping out anymore and most of the noise is gone. The spring is still bouncing around which is a little strange.

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 11:00 Quote
It could be that the spring has shrunk too much. BOS springs are known to shrinking over time (some people even had up to more than 10mm of shrinking on their).

Either you try to get a new one (look for the US distributor maybe), or just add some spacers on top of it (and it might be good to remove all those clicks of preload, then add some spacers so you still have some adjustment if it shrinks even more)

Btw when you say the spring is bouncing around, is it just shaking the fork out of the ground ? or just pumping it ?

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 12:04 Quote
Weird ... doesn't make any difference with teh preload fully in or out ?

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 12:25 Quote
Nope. It's like there's nothing holding it in place

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 12:36 Quote
Try to add some spacer (even like a piece of wood on top of the spring) just to see if it's that it has shrunk too much or if it's something else. If you pop the top of the left stanchion out, there should be some force pushing it upwards.

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 14:35 Quote
Ok I'll try that thanks

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 11:13 Quote
But i'm sure rockshox wasn't the most expensive on the market, and their customer service is so bad they are getting dropped like hell by importers yearly so are the service centres. before long no one will want anything to do with them and you will all be stuck with forks and shocks not worth shit
rydelean wrote:
jskiff wrote:
andyd2506 wrote:

Just being honest save your money, and for a different shock not worth it, Bos are f*cking useless jtech are unofficial service centre so can't do mods only basic service they may offer to do them but don't really have a clue on their systems, Bos have been dropped by 2 distributors and 3 official service centres in the UK in the last 18 months, what does that tell you?

It concerns me greatly have recently procured some devilles, but god they're good!
I just got some devilles their amazing but I did have to send them back to creation cycles cos the low speed compression knob got jammed but they fixed them and got some replacement knobs. Bear in mind they make top rate rally shocks and are a verry well known company, their still in the early stages of getting into the mtb seen + theirs a lot of riders running them this session. their coming out on stock bikes aswell now to so their doing well. Don't you lot remember rockshox when they first came along I blow up 3 pairs of judy dh's

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 16:00 Quote
I have just done an oil change (also took the stanchions out to clean the seals and lube them) on my idylle rare and the damping and rebound have gone to sh1t, I initially used some 5wt oil that is supposedly the same spec as the bos stuff, but the forks became really soft. After a bit of research I saw that some people suggested 7.5wt silkolene, tried this and the forks were still soft and the rebound is so slow you could go make a brew before they come back from a compression. My next thought is to buy some bos oil from jungle.. £35 a litre!! I have serviced loads of forks in the past, marzocchi, fox, rockshox, manitou and never had any problems... All the adjustments work, the air spring seems to work I just find it hard to believe that the secret bos oil is so special that 5wt maxima, 7.5 wt silkolene and 10wt rockshox are not even close to it

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 23:13 Quote
The BOS oil is 10WT, and I believe the Silkolene and Ipone oils are a lot more liquid than the stock oil. A friend serviced him with some 10WT Igol, and I believe he didn't have to adjust his settings ...

But even if you use some smoother oil, just adjust the settings by a few clicks and it should be good (unless you're at the end of the range...)

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 23:41 Quote
It is not 10WT, it is 7.5WT

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 0:09 Quote
Well the Novyparts oil is WT, and it's the closest you'll hear from the BOS oil. Same manufacturer, roughly the same specs, same smell and taste (a friend unscrew the wrong screw on his shock and had a nice taste of the oil in his mouth Big Grin ), so it may be 7.5, but as most oils on the market tend to be a bit too much liquid, I'd recommend 10WT anyway.

And anyway, it's just a matter of 2 or 3 clicks max, so why bother?

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 0:46 Quote
I have owned a bike shop reselling BOS products for the last 4 years. I have had R53 / Mad Elk Cycles / Jungle / Surf Sales as distributors, and for a while, where BOS had no UK distro, directly from BOS.

Have spoken to TFTuned and various other suspension tuning companies about it - it's 7.5WT.

It alters not just the compression, but also the progressiveness of the fork. I'm not claiming one is better than the other, but 7.5WT and appropriate oil levels, are factory / stock.

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 3:08 Quote
OK thanks the the responses. With 7.5 silkolene in them at the moment the compression is virtually not there, i can push the forks to full travel quite easily, and the rebound even at fully open is slow as anything....

As i said i have done dozens of different forks before and was careful with these as it was my first time... I'm pretty sure i didn't break anything, but the forks are useless / unrideable at the minute, If I were to use them the first small hit would blow through all the travel and then the forks would take 3 seconds to come back.

I have had them apart 3 or 4 times to check nothing was loose or misplaced..

Maybe its the air side, or something as simple as my shock pump being out of calibration? I guess if I was 50 psi low then the compression would be rubbish and the rebound slow?

I'm gonna get another shock pump and try that.

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 5:07 Quote
Using the same shock pump I pumped the fork up to 205psi, the rebound is so slow (even fully open) really not sure where i went wrong, or how to rectify this

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034562
Mobile Version of Website