3 weeks diet and training feeling drained a lot ?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
3 weeks diet and training feeling drained a lot ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 26, 2013 at 3:35 Quote
Hi all I'm into 3weeks of my diet and training . I've lost almost a stone in weight . I don't eat breakfast just can not eat that time in the morning without feeling sick if I even think of food at that time. So for lunch I eat 1 banana 1 muller rice and to crackers with 1 point of water . I've been doing 1 hour on a rowing machin have a break then 1 hour more evry day for 3 weeks . I do have Friday as a rest day to give my body chance to recover ready for weekend rideing . So yesterday I went rideing and I just felt drained I had no push in me in fact I cut my ride 2 hours short as I felt so low.i take high 5 drink out with me so I know I'm getting plenty of water intake. Ok it Sunday and time to go rideing but I have to say today I just feel the same way drained and I just want to chill . I've never had this before I've allways had lots of get up and go more so for rideing . I have read that you can hit a 3 week wall when doing lots of exsercise ?? As the body adjust its self to what your doing . This problem is getting me down to be honest I thought I was doing really well and now slam. I'm doing all the correct things eating drinking I've not had a beer in 3 weeks . Any idears what this is or is this just as they say HIT 3 week wall ? If so how long can this go on for I'm really trying to push past this crap feeling. Thanks for any advice. Ps I do eat a tea time salads good heathy food

FL
Posted: May 26, 2013 at 15:26 Quote
It's could actually be your diet, although that could not be the answer. Trying to lose too much too fast can be detrimental to energy levels and progress. You say you lost 1 stone in 3 weeks, that works out to 4.66 pounds a week which translate to approximately a 2333.33 Kcal deficit each day, which is massive. Most doctors don't advise more than 2 lbs. of weight loss per week. It would depend at what weight you started, and percentage body fat, how much exercise you had previously been doing before these 3 weeks, and what you are doing now; exercise( intensity, frequency, duration), diet, and your overall health (sleep, stress).

A possible reason you're feeling tired and drained is because you have put your body into an overreached state. If you don't balance the proper macro-nutrients amounts you won't recovery properly from each day's exercise. Protein is often overlooked when people try to lose weight, however, if you don't consume enough your body will break down muscle and use it to synthesize required proteins. I bring this up because you mention bananas, rice, crackers, and salad, all have carbohydrates but lack much protein.

It is possible you could have hit a wall with exercise. If you have not been doing lots of exercise prior and then started doing 2 hours of rowing each day with riding on the weekends you may be doing too much too soon. Similar to rapid weight loss, rapidly increasing exercise either duration, intensity, or frequency (or a combination of these characteristics) can lead to incomplete recovery and the effects will build on itself and your fatigue will increase. This can lead to burnout which will be bad for both your exercise plan and weight lose plan.

In my opinion, it is most likely a combination of both. Rapid weight loss means there is less total energy in your system and is making it hard for you to recover form daily exercise. The effects of each aspect coupled would definitely cause you to feel drained. If you've rapidly lost 1 stone then you have lost a good deal of, most likely, body fat and weight lose will begin to slow down and get harder to maintain. I would suggest taking a full rest day or two, try to get more sleep (6 hours is a minimum I'd suggest more, as much as possible) and review your diet. Make sure your daily caloric intake, when balanced with exercise calorie burn, is greater than 1500 kcal, any lower and your risking putting yourself into whats referred to as survival mode. Also look into having a balanced macro-nutrient intake along with sufficient vitamins. Other than that, you also have to realize that the only way to lose weight is through maintaining a calorie deficit, which will cause feeling low energy just due to the fact that energy isn't readily available.

P.S. sorry for the long response, there are so many variables and so much more information.

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 3:02 Quote
octanejake wrote:
It's could actually be your diet, although that could not be the answer. Trying to lose too much too fast can be detrimental to energy levels and progress. You say you lost 1 stone in 3 weeks, that works out to 4.66 pounds a week which translate to approximately a 2333.33 Kcal deficit each day, which is massive. Most doctors don't advise more than 2 lbs. of weight loss per week. It would depend at what weight you started, and percentage body fat, how much exercise you had previously been doing before these 3 weeks, and what you are doing now; exercise( intensity, frequency, duration), diet, and your overall health (sleep, stress).

A possible reason you're feeling tired and drained is because you have put your body into an overreached state. If you don't balance the proper macro-nutrients amounts you won't recovery properly from each day's exercise. Protein is often overlooked when people try to lose weight, however, if you don't consume enough your body will break down muscle and use it to synthesize required proteins. I bring this up because you mention bananas, rice, crackers, and salad, all have carbohydrates but lack much protein.

It is possible you could have hit a wall with exercise. If you have not been doing lots of exercise prior and then started doing 2 hours of rowing each day with riding on the weekends you may be doing too much too soon. Similar to rapid weight loss, rapidly increasing exercise either duration, intensity, or frequency (or a combination of these characteristics) can lead to incomplete recovery and the effects will build on itself and your fatigue will increase. This can lead to burnout which will be bad for both your exercise plan and weight lose plan.

In my opinion, it is most likely a combination of both. Rapid weight loss means there is less total energy in your system and is making it hard for you to recover form daily exercise. The effects of each aspect coupled would definitely cause you to feel drained. If you've rapidly lost 1 stone then you have lost a good deal of, most likely, body fat and weight lose will begin to slow down and get harder to maintain. I would suggest taking a full rest day or two, try to get more sleep (6 hours is a minimum I'd suggest more, as much as possible) and review your diet. Make sure your daily caloric intake, when balanced with exercise calorie burn, is greater than 1500 kcal, any lower and your risking putting yourself into whats referred to as survival mode. Also look into having a balanced macro-nutrient intake along with sufficient vitamins. Other than that, you also have to realize that the only way to lose weight is through maintaining a calorie deficit, which will cause feeling low energy just due to the fact that energy isn't readily available.

P.S. sorry for the long response, there are so many variables and so much more information.
thanks that's a great response and it does hit on a lot that I maybe doing wrong. I've been researching this and their is lots of info and the most likely one is resting at least 2 days . I have found since I started 3 weeks ago that I get a thing called RLS/ restless leg syndrome during sleep this is somewhat apart of feeling drained but I've never slept well. I'm going to replane my diet after reading the above info. I've worked it out and I'm haveing less than 800 calories aday and that is not enough from what I've read . Thanks again

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 3:26 Quote
superbikes wrote:
octanejake wrote:

thanks that's a great response and it does hit on a lot that I maybe doing wrong. I've been researching this and their is lots of info and the most likely one is resting at least 2 days . I have found since I started 3 weeks ago that I get a thing called RLS/ restless leg syndrome during sleep this is somewhat apart of feeling drained but I've never slept well. I'm going to replane my diet after reading the above info. I've worked it out and I'm haveing less than 800 calories aday and that is not enough from what I've read . Thanks again
PS I've never had to do much to keep my weight down but that was before .im now 38 so things are a little harder I think I was 15 stone and had a very unhealthy deit lots of beer takeouts with the odd ride once a mounth. I've cut all that crap out now a that could explain why I lost so much so fast . I'm now 14 stone and I'm going to take your advice . I'm not expecting to loose the same weight as fast again . From what I've read I should be 12 stone for my hight which is 5 foot 9 . Ill be more than happy if I can achieve 12 stone but I am not goin to put myself under pressure to achieve this to fast . The way I see it is I'm on a good thing allready better life style . But have made mistakes in the way and diet plan . Thanks

FL
Posted: May 27, 2013 at 6:33 Quote
800 kcal per day is far too low to sustain. I'd suggest upping that to about 1500, those extra 700 will give you the extra energy to recover and maintain exercise, however it will take longer to drop pounds. 800 kcal will bring your body down to survival mode and you will start to become very drained feeling as your body will actually try to hold onto energy sources (it is a protective mechanism). As you found out such low intake will bring about feeling run-down/drained/exhausted, you don't want to get to such a level while trying to lose weight, it leads to burnout and illness and then, all to often, the regain of weight. With that said you have made good progress in 3 weeks, but although it may take longer to see results aiming for about 14 or so weeks to lose another 2 stone would be more achievable and allow you to feel less burnt and enjoy your rides and exercise.
As for RLS; do what you can to eliminate or reduce symptoms so you can achieve better sleep. You said you've cut alcohol so that's a start, also have a look at whether you consume enough vitamin B, iron, and folic acid (too little can cause RLS), try some stretching or yoga (relaxing the muscles and reducing stress can help) and also consider limiting caffeine (if you consume a lot of it). Better sleep is one of those all to often overlooked things that can dramatically improve many daily functions.

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 7:02 Quote
octanejake wrote:
800 kcal per day is far too low to sustain. I'd suggest upping that to about 1500, those extra 700 will give you the extra energy to recover and maintain exercise, however it will take longer to drop pounds. 800 kcal will bring your body down to survival mode and you will start to become very drained feeling as your body will actually try to hold onto energy sources (it is a protective mechanism). As you found out such low intake will bring about feeling run-down/drained/exhausted, you don't want to get to such a level while trying to lose weight, it leads to burnout and illness and then, all to often, the regain of weight. With that said you have made good progress in 3 weeks, but although it may take longer to see results aiming for about 14 or so weeks to lose another 2 stone would be more achievable and allow you to feel less burnt and enjoy your rides and exercise.
As for RLS; do what you can to eliminate or reduce symptoms so you can achieve better sleep. You said you've cut alcohol so that's a start, also have a look at whether you consume enough vitamin B, iron, and folic acid (too little can cause RLS), try some stretching or yoga (relaxing the muscles and reducing stress can help) and also consider limiting caffeine (if you consume a lot of it). Better sleep is one of those all to often overlooked things that can dramatically improve many daily functions.
thanks this is really helpfull . I've never really had to exercise in the past but as stated a very bad diet over many years has took it's toll . This is all new to me and can get very confusing as their is so much info out on the net .leaves you with the feeling of not being sure if your doing the right or wrong things. This week I'm defo going to rest and take in more colories then start training again . Can I buy somthing with vitamin b from a chemist ? I have to say and be honest the RLS is really starting to become a real problem. Since starting 3 weeks ago I've made sure I get to be by 11.30 max but my sleep keeps geting broken by RLS and most nights ill get to sleep at 230 . Tho I've not been eating enough colories this may play a big part with RLS .thanks

FL
Posted: May 27, 2013 at 13:26 Quote
Yea there is a lot of information and lots tends to come from unreliable sources that stretch the truth to sell a product, so be aware of that, just look for info that cites credible sources and/or do a little background digging on where and what information is being cited.

As for vitamin supplements, getting some wouldn't be a bad idea since while reducing calories you'll also have a hard time consuming all the minerals needed in the quantities needed. Search out a good quality multi-vitamin or a specific one you need more of, be sure to check that the product has passed whatever the federal regulations are for it. Similar to misquoted information, pharmaceutical companies don't necessarily need to specify exact quantities of ingredients in vitamins (at least here in the US).

For RLS, I'd say try the stretching, it can help. other options would be use hot and cold packs or baths, one after the other works as a contrast therapy which can help the muscles relax. Of course if it is really bad and you can't find a remedy you can always see a doctor.

Good luck. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll get through this plateau.

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 13:38 Quote
octanejake wrote:
Yea there is a lot of information and lots tends to come from unreliable sources that stretch the truth to sell a product, so be aware of that, just look for info that cites credible sources and/or do a little background digging on where and what information is being cited.

As for vitamin supplements, getting some wouldn't be a bad idea since while reducing calories you'll also have a hard time consuming all the minerals needed in the quantities needed. Search out a good quality multi-vitamin or a specific one you need more of, be sure to check that the product has passed whatever the federal regulations are for it. Similar to misquoted information, pharmaceutical companies don't necessarily need to specify exact quantities of ingredients in vitamins (at least here in the US).

For RLS, I'd say try the stretching, it can help. other options would be use hot and cold packs or baths, one after the other works as a contrast therapy which can help the muscles relax. Of course if it is really bad and you can't find a remedy you can always see a doctor.

Good luck. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll get through this plateau.
many thanks for your help regards super bikes :-)

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 5:33 Quote
Octanejake is giving you some solid information here, i can completely agree with it.

heres the simple fact, stress = stress. Dieting is a stress, exercising is a stress, traffic is a stress, jobs are a stress. Whats tough is the body cant decipher the difference between riding away as fast as you can from a bear or if your stuck in traffic and late for a meeting.

It sends the same response, in which your body will not be in equilibrium. This is means you need more recovery.

7-9 hours per sleep is recommended, and thats quality sleep (pitch black room, temp. at 65 degrees, a bit of white noise)

Training, so far your body most likely hasnt adapted, 3 - 2 hour sessions on the rower is quite a lot of volume, 6 hours/week. Not only that, but that is an overload to the energy systems, and since your on a diet (enegery system fuel) you have run out of gas and cannot kick start that engine.

my advice, FEAST! eat a shit ton of food one day. Not everyday, just one day when you feel like you can eat a cow Smile

p.s. - if you stay active, try a performance based diet. Food is looked at as a source of fuel and aid to help you see better gains. Protein for recovery, carbs for energy, vegetables / fruit for vitamins and minerals, fat for oxidization of stored body fats.

Definitely do some research, and i can agree with everything octane jake has said, 80% of the info out there is unreliable (due to how easy it is to become a 'professional')

Have some rules set in place so your never fatigued on riding days..
- rest day before a ride day
- stretch and eat well the night before a ride
- get 7-9 hours of quality sleep the night before

If your tired, no use pushing it if performance is minimal, its easier to get injured as well.

oh another not, about proper amount of caloric nutrients, calculate 15x(lean BW) = kcal maintence. If you wanna lose weight, eat 3-500 calories less.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 5:48 Quote
Thanks I've followed Octanejake advice and I have to say I feel so so much better I Allso do what you've suggested somedays I eat like a cow then mostly not alot but still good heathy stuff . Last week I rode 40 miles in 3 hours 15mins on a canal . I have not rode that kind of miles in years and I felt great . I don't know if 40 miles in 3 hours 15 is a good time but I was rideing a 150mm travel fullsus not the best bike for that. But slowly I'm getting my fitness back to what it was . Great help here and it's paying off . Thanks guys

Posted: Jul 5, 2013 at 16:29 Quote
make sure you have a protein with every meal.

Posted: Jul 5, 2013 at 21:09 Quote
octanejake wrote:

So I know you already folled the great advice here, but this stood out and wanted to agree. 800calories is not enough, you need to keep your calories actually above a certain number or your body will slow down its metabolism, taking in so little can be dangerous. It also stood out that while diet seems to be the obvious one I want to also add some things

For those biggest loser shows they use crazy low calories but its not only dangerous but not ideal either, you should aim for a consistent calorie defect each week or day, so if you do exercise more like a lot more you should eat a little more, this is to ensure you dont become malnutritioned, its better to progressively lose and stay healthy than put your health at risk or end up sick and gain weight. Secondly the aim for losing weight is to maintain muscle while you lose weight, reason is muscle mass is part of what controls out metabolism, more muscle you have the more you need to eat, with fast weight lose you lose muscle mass too, this mean that you slow down the metabolism, this than creates a cycles of more exercise and less food >less muscle again >slower metabolims >more exercise and you either cant loose more weight or you put your health in danger, so make sure you add resistance training in a few days a week to keep your muscle mass up while dropping that weight. This also ensures that your metabolism doesnt slow and you can keep losing weight without the dangerous cycled mentioned above.

Also 1day of rest a week is not enough if those other days are hard exercise, hard exercise takes more than 24hours to recover and while your body can do this for a short while and then super compensate you need to give it rest time otherwise you will over train, you can still train those days but don't go 100% each day, you can still burn lots of calories with slower easier recover rides for a decent distance.

You can also boost your body with juicing rather than pills, the pills isolate the substance and at times is not as well utilized as it is when it is eaten in the food, the food will also come with antioxidants which are very important, any stress on the body produces free radicals (including exercise) and anti oxidants help neutralize these. You will need to see what you are low in and than create a drink to suit with a good range

disclaimer, I am not qualified in anyway, all information can be found online and is my source. Any information I write cannot be taken as correct and if you do wish to use the information it is at your own risk. You should also always seek medical advice from a professional before proceeding with any diet or exercise changes.

Posted: Jul 6, 2013 at 2:45 Quote
slidways wrote:
octanejake wrote:

So I know you already folled the great advice here, but this stood out and wanted to agree. 800calories is not enough, you need to keep your calories actually above a certain number or your body will slow down its metabolism, taking in so little can be dangerous. It also stood out that while diet seems to be the obvious one I want to also add some things

For those biggest loser shows they use crazy low calories but its not only dangerous but not ideal either, you should aim for a consistent calorie defect each week or day, so if you do exercise more like a lot more you should eat a little more, this is to ensure you dont become malnutritioned, its better to progressively lose and stay healthy than put your health at risk or end up sick and gain weight. Secondly the aim for losing weight is to maintain muscle while you lose weight, reason is muscle mass is part of what controls out metabolism, more muscle you have the more you need to eat, with fast weight lose you lose muscle mass too, this mean that you slow down the metabolism, this than creates a cycles of more exercise and less food >less muscle again >slower metabolims >more exercise and you either cant loose more weight or you put your health in danger, so make sure you add resistance training in a few days a week to keep your muscle mass up while dropping that weight. This also ensures that your metabolism doesnt slow and you can keep losing weight without the dangerous cycled mentioned above.

Also 1day of rest a week is not enough if those other days are hard exercise, hard exercise takes more than 24hours to recover and while your body can do this for a short while and then super compensate you need to give it rest time otherwise you will over train, you can still train those days but don't go 100% each day, you can still burn lots of calories with slower easier recover rides for a decent distance.

You can also boost your body with juicing rather than pills, the pills isolate the substance and at times is not as well utilized as it is when it is eaten in the food, the food will also come with antioxidants which are very important, any stress on the body produces free radicals (including exercise) and anti oxidants help neutralize these. You will need to see what you are low in and than create a drink to suit with a good range

disclaimer, I am not qualified in anyway, all information can be found online and is my source. Any information I write cannot be taken as correct and if you do wish to use the information it is at your own risk. You should also always seek medical advice from a professional before proceeding with any diet or exercise changes.
hi thanks since I posted here I've lost another stone so I'm now at 13 stone yipeeee and feeling much lighter on my feet and really enjoying bikeing more like I used to . I've took the above advice and I've mixed it up a little bit to find what works better for me . I've stoped taking vitamin tablets and yes I've traded that for juices and I'm eating more fish meats . Only think I'd like to Chang but I think it's just who I am is to slow down when training I do go at it like a bull . And I've learned it's not the next day it gets me it's the day after that . I've had days where I'm shattered but not burned out . Well on my way to my 12 stone target and very pleased with myself and many thanks for all the help guys very very usefull :-)

FL
Posted: Jul 6, 2013 at 6:15 Quote
Hello again,

Congrats on the continuing weight loss. However after seeing you latest reply;

bigquotes think it's just who I am is to slow down when training I do go at it like a bull

This can become a dangerous game. Although you sound very committed to your training, weight loss, and health, always going all out will lead to plateauing. Sometimes referred to as "black hole training" it is when you go at an intensity that is hard, but not all out, and at the same time is too hard to recover well enough from before your next session. This type a consistent exercise prevents you from improving and can actually over time lead to a degradation in fitness. Here is a decent article to highlight black hole training: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/endurance-training/Beware-the-Black-Hole.html

Easy work out days are hard to follow, they seem too boring, not taxing, and lame. But I highly recommend a few easier days to go along with some really hard days and some moderate days (as well as full rest day[s] as needed). Although you can do all you workouts hard, you'll see more improvement in fitness performance if you don't always go hard.

Posted: Jul 6, 2013 at 6:42 Quote
octanejake wrote:
Hello again,

Congrats on the continuing weight loss. However after seeing you latest reply;

bigquotes think it's just who I am is to slow down when training I do go at it like a bull

This can become a dangerous game. Although you sound very committed to your training, weight loss, and health, always going all out will lead to plateauing. Sometimes referred to as "black hole training" it is when you go at an intensity that is hard, but not all out, and at the same time is too hard to recover well enough from before your next session. This type a consistent exercise prevents you from improving and can actually over time lead to a degradation in fitness. Here is a decent article to highlight black hole training: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/endurance-training/Beware-the-Black-Hole.html

Easy work out days are hard to follow, they seem too boring, not taxing, and lame. But I highly recommend a few easier days to go along with some really hard days and some moderate days (as well as full rest day[s] as needed). Although you can do all you workouts hard, you'll see more improvement in fitness performance if you don't always go hard.
thanks Today is my 3rd day of ridding in a row . So I'm going to not take my earphones and listen to heavy metal and try a have a more chilled out ride . I must admit I do need to slow it down and keep some back in reserve for some of the harder climbs . I think it's a thing I just carried on from a young age I was always told to slow down . But I'm defo going to slow it down no point in going like a bull to hert myself . Can not beleave the change in myself since I started I think I was one of those none beleavers in eating heathy and I was somewhat ignorant to it . But to anyone who is reading this please give it ago not all advice may apply to you but you can adjust this as you go to find what works for you . Many thanks :-)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014708
Mobile Version of Website