10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
Posted: May 1, 2014 at 19:05 Quote
I have the DH version and am using it on a 11-28t cassette. It'll work just fine. For myself, I needed a spacer to fine tune the shifting as it did not do well on its own.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2014 at 6:27 Quote
Awesome I'll give a try. Thanks for the info!

O+
Posted: May 12, 2014 at 15:00 Quote
I have a x0 9 speed twist shift setup 1x6 (pg950) with a single speed hub, so to do this do I just need the zee clutch rd and a spacer or do I need to run a 10sp chain with 10sp cassette too?

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 17:40 Quote
I do not have any experience with SRAM gripshift and zee stuff but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

What do you mean when you refer to "1x6 setup"?

Your question makes it sound like you may be missing the main points of the modification. The mod allows you to use all of your currnt 9 speed SRAM X# stuff with a 10speed zee derailleur. Does that help?

O+
Posted: May 12, 2014 at 18:35 Quote
agro wrote:
I do not have any experience with SRAM gripshift and zee stuff but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

What do you mean when you refer to "1x6 setup"?

Your question makes it sound like you may be missing the main points of the modification. The mod allows you to use all of your currnt 9 speed SRAM X# stuff with a 10speed zee derailleur. Does that help?

Yes, going to order one for the slope bike, right now I have short cage x7's setup on both my bikes but I only use 6 cogs on the rear with a single speed hub. Only upgrading to get the clutch functionality, not too keen on switching to 10sp cogs / chains as trials riding is not too friendly on drivetrain components.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 20:26 Quote
From the sounds of things you shouldn't have any issues, especially if you are running X7 derailleurs already setup that way. Ends up being way cheaper too since you won't have to switch out any of your other components.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 23:54 Quote
Hi - just thought I'd follow up on my previous post: nabbed a second hand SRAM X9 9 speed shifter and fitted this with the Zee - works a charm straight out and with no spacer. Haven't dropped a chain yet having ditched my Bionicon chain guide which kept getting caught up and broken. Really pleased with this setup. Thanks for all the advice here, much appreciated!

Posted: Jun 1, 2014 at 11:48 Quote
Good info. all the way around!
Been wanting to add a clutch rear derail. for awhile but wasn't sure if it would work.

I have a different setup that hasn't been mentioned(I think), so I'll throw it out there & see what everyone thinks.
I'm running a new 2013 XTR triple chain ring with a 9 speed XO shifter & 9 speed cassette.
Will the 10 speed Zee derail. work? Shim or no shim? Or any clutch rear derail.?

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 11:32 Quote
Vudu77 wrote:
Good info. all the way around!
Been wanting to add a clutch rear derail. for awhile but wasn't sure if it would work.

I have a different setup that hasn't been mentioned(I think), so I'll throw it out there & see what everyone thinks.
I'm running a new 2013 XTR triple chain ring with a 9 speed XO shifter & 9 speed cassette.
Will the 10 speed Zee derail. work? Shim or no shim? Or any clutch rear derail.?

Thanks!

Well it depends on how big your biggest cog is. Zee deraileurs come in 2 version short cassette and big cassette (up to 32 teeth), I'm running athe big cassette version and the biggest cog on my cassette is a 34 tooth and the deraileur still handles it. If you have say a 36 tooth cog it would probably be best to get a long cage deraileur like a SLX or XT.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 16:54 Quote
'Preciate the info.!Smile

Nah, I'm running an 11-34 SRAM cassette & an XTR triple(42/32/24) up front with a 9-speed XO rear shifter.

Plus, I only see the short cage Zee - no long cage option anywhere.
There are 2 different gear ranges for the short cage, one is an 11-34 or 11-36 option(but it's still a short cage).

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 21:23 Quote
SRAMano adapter. Saint clutch 10 speed rd 9 speed chain 9 speed cassette with 6 cogs 11-32 and X0 9 speed grip shift.
mine needed a lot more than a 6mm spacer to shift right.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 10:49 Quote
Vudu77 wrote:

Nah, I'm running an 11-34 SRAM cassette & an XTR triple(42/32/24) up front with a 9-speed XO rear shifter.

There are 2 different gear ranges for the short cage, one is an 11-34 or 11-36 option(but it's still a short cage).

They are both short cage but one is for 11-28 cassettes and the other is for 11-32 cassettes (last time I checked)

Posted: Jun 8, 2014 at 16:39 Quote
Vudu77 wrote:

From what the internet trolls are saying, Zee derailleurs are designed to be used with 1x systems. Not sure why it wouldn't work on a 2x or 3x system but be forewarned that it might not. I was hoping to throw one on my all mountain setup but think I'll go with SLX medium cage - seeing that the only reason I would traditionally go with a short cage was for the stiffer knuckle/cage spring - but the new clutch mechanism pretty much negates that so I'm not losing much going up to a medium cage... well maybe potential for more rock strikes but that's pretty minor in my neck of the woods.

I think a mdium cage (SLX or XT) would be better suited to your current setup as well. The 42:34 range is pretty hard on a short cage.

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 at 4:08 Quote
Yeah, I can't see a short cage working too well with the outer chainring.
Prob. a medium SLX or long is the way to go - or a new 10sp. shifter/cassetteBig Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013789
Mobile Version of Website