10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 18:03 Quote
Great info everyone! I just got done with some mods on my 2013 Camber. My next mod will be this as soon as I save up some $$$$ for it. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more comments......Thanks again!

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 at 4:17 Quote
hey guys i have something you might not have touched on - i had a 2009 saint shifter and deraileur setup, which was 9 speed. I just bought a new Zee Shadow + derailleur, and fitted it to my 9 speed shifter. Now, when i tuned it up, the best i could get was 7 out of the 9 gears, with messy shifting in between.
I know that the saint mech had a lot shorter distance between cable mount and cable screw, meaning the leverage over the mech was more than what the zee has, but is there a good way to either mod the shifter, or construct a mount on the screw that would move the cable anchoring point closer to what the saint mech had? I saw everyone was using small shims, but these only slightly improved the leverage. Im thinking all out, bent sheet metal arm that would extend the arm backwards, shortening the pull and increasing the leverage. Anyone tried this? otherwise, im just going to get a new shifter

cheers

Posted: Aug 27, 2014 at 8:52 Quote
I believe it won't work.
If you are using SRAM X type 9 sp shifter with Shimano 10sp RD, then it would work.

if you are using shimano 9sp shifter with shimano 10sp RD, it won't work.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 13:54 Quote
SRAM 9sp. shifter will fix it - as mentioned above

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2014 at 11:07 Quote
agro wrote:
No worries a-d-e, just wanted to make sure we were all trying to provide helpful, and useful information; instead of just internet bashing something that you didn't have experience with.

Any time your cables go from dirty-to-clean there will be some difference - at least in my experience. I don't clean my cables though; cable and housing are all replaced new.

My pulley wheels on my DH zee setup are also a touch further than ideal because the derailleur bottoms out on itself when I am in the 11 tooth.
yeah with clean cables it shifts flawlessly without issue. did require patience to setup correctly. a shim is definitely not required as it does the opposite of what it should to adjust the mech so that full pull range exactly matches that of a 10spd shimano shifter full pull range.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2014 at 13:41 Quote
Does anyone know if the pull ratio on the new 11sp XTR shifters is the same as the 10sp Saint?

Reason I ask is because I would like to see if I can use a saint derailleur and shimano shifter with the 7sp Sram DH cassette so I can have a 10T cog.

The new 11sp XTR is the same cog spacing as the SRAM 11sp (7sp DH too). So at the very least I could use an XTR shifter and an XTR mech. But I'd rather use the XTR shifter with a Saint mech.

I'm quite sure a 10sp shifter will not work, as I believe the 11sp spacing is slightly different. But the question remains whether the pull ratio is the same for the new XTR as the current Saint, in which case a new XTR shifter would pull the Saint mech the right distance for 11sp, and hence for the 7sp SRAM DH cassette.

Posted: Dec 10, 2014 at 16:32 Quote
Great thread! I wanted to use the Zee M640 but did not want to bear the expense of a full 10x setup!

Now all I need is a shifter!

I plan to use an Sram pg 970 cassette, RaceFace 2x 9sp rings up front with the Zee now!

Can I use an SRAM 10sp shifter?

I ask because used SRAM 10sp is more plentiful than 9sp at the moment.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2014 at 5:34 Quote
DaleE wrote:
Great thread! I wanted to use the Zee M640 but did not want to bear the expense of a full 10x setup!

I plan to use an Sram pg 970 cassette, RaceFace 2x 9sp rings up front with the Zee now!

If you are going to run a 9 speed system you have to use a 9 speed shifter. Why may I ask are you going to use a road cassette (SRAM PG970 12-26, 12-23, 11-23, 11-21) with a 2 rings up front? Why not go with one ring and a larger mountainbike cassette eg. Sram PG990 11-34?

Posted: Dec 11, 2014 at 5:43 Quote
DaleE wrote:

the Zee is a short cage mech, it does not have the range to cope with a 2X setup, a SLX or XT med will be better.

Posted: Dec 11, 2014 at 8:30 Quote
iffy wrote:
DaleE wrote:

the Zee is a short cage mech, it does not have the range to cope with a 2X setup, a SLX or XT med will be better.

well that's a bummer, thanx tho Smile

Posted: Jan 2, 2015 at 16:45 Quote
I've run a whole saint m820 set up on a shimano 9 speed hyper glide casset and set it up no issue. I get 2-9 no problem and two shifts in gear 1. Worked the trick for me so far and ran it all summer in Whistler no problemo

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
stepheniskool wrote:
I've run a whole saint m820 set up on a shimano 9 speed hyper glide casset and set it up no issue. I get 2-9 no problem and two shifts in gear 1. Worked the trick for me so far and ran it all summer in Whistler no problemo
sounds sketchy & problematic dont advise anyone to use that setup longterm, maybe it works for you but for anyone wanting to run clutch 9spd then theres only one option thats readily available:
shifter: sram 9spd (xo x9 x7 x5 whatever)
rear mech: shimano 10speed (saint zee xtr)

Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 14:05 Quote
So I bit the bullet and picked up a complete 10x1 Zee LOVE having a clutch derailleur!!!

I want to set up my daughters bike with one, thing is I don't want to build a new wheel for it and I would have to in order to get it above the 8sp setup it has, its not a cassette its a spin on freewheel is why.

So I need to run her as a 2x8
Getting a Shimano Deore M615 Shadow+ for 50$ is easy enough but I don't fully understand the shift issues.
I found this info on another post:

8 speed shimano pull per shift: 3.4mm
9 speed shimano: 3mm
9 speed sram: 3.9mm
10 speed shimano: 3.4mm
10 speed sram: 3.1

It seems to indicate that Shimano 8x and 10x have the same pull but I also know the distance between the cassette sprockets (freewheel in her case) are different as the 10x are closer together.

Is there a known way to make a clutch derailleur work for an 8x system?

Thanx Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2015 at 12:44 Quote
DaleE wrote:
So I bit the bullet and picked up a complete 10x1 Zee LOVE having a clutch derailleur!!!

I want to set up my daughters bike with one, thing is I don't want to build a new wheel for it and I would have to in order to get it above the 8sp setup it has, its not a cassette its a spin on freewheel is why.

Getting a Shimano Deore M615 Shadow+ for 50$ is easy enough but I don't fully understand the shift issues.

It seems to indicate that Shimano 8x and 10x have the same pull but I also know the distance between the cassette sprockets (freewheel in her case) are different as the 10x are closer together.

Thanx Smile

All you need to make an 8speed system work with a clutch deraileur is to run a 8speed Sram shifter with a 10 speed shimano deraileur. I use it with a v-brake spacer (where the cable tighten) and it works great.

Posted: Jan 7, 2015 at 11:22 Quote
SintraFreeride wrote:
DaleE wrote:

Thanx Smile

All you need to make an 8speed system work with a clutch deraileur is to run a 8speed Sram shifter with a 10 speed shimano deraileur. I use it with a v-brake spacer (where the cable tighten) and it works great.

Thank you MUCH!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.038183
Mobile Version of Website