Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 15:28 Quote
bosnianrider wrote:
FoxDaCosta wrote:
I'm buying a Monarch Plus RC3 for my Strive AL 9.0 SL.
Anyone has one, and is there any special fitting set up?

Which tuning is good for the Strive? Isn't it custom tuned as the Fox? I am also thinking to replace the Fox CTD on my Strive AL 8.0 but I don't know which one to get. Would M/M be good?

I'm buying a Monarch Plus RC3 with M M tuning, hope will be good and for sure better than the Fox CTD.

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 21:45 Quote
FoxDaCosta wrote:
bosnianrider wrote:
FoxDaCosta wrote:
I'm buying a Monarch Plus RC3 for my Strive AL 9.0 SL.
Anyone has one, and is there any special fitting set up?

Which tuning is good for the Strive? Isn't it custom tuned as the Fox? I am also thinking to replace the Fox CTD on my Strive AL 8.0 but I don't know which one to get. Would M/M be good?

I'm buying a Monarch Plus RC3 with M M tuning, hope will be good and for sure better than the Fox CTD.

Cool, please share how the M/M works out for you!

I just got a warranty replacement Fox from Canyon and I'll see if this one will hold up better. If not then I'll buy an RC3 too. Unfortunately the Strive 8.0 Race with Pike/Monarch was was sold out already when I ordered my bike back in January. That would have been the cheaper option...

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 2:30 Quote
Yeah I was lucky, got the last 2014 Strive 8.0 Race in the world, back in May, they are discontinued now in favour of the new Carbon baby.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 16:24 Quote
AdamBartonUK wrote:
p4ul wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the 2014 Rock Shox Monarch compare to the 2013 Fox Float CTD on the Strive AL?

I have a 2013 Strive 9.0 SL and as seems to be experienced by many other riders am blowing thru the travel.

I had a ride on a mates Mojo HD with Cane Creek DB Air and Pikes and was pretty impressed by the forks and overall suspension, so think I'm sold on the Pikes now.

I haven't tried a volume spacer in the rear shock but was wondering if it would be better it to replace it instead. If the 2014 Strive frames are the same a Monarch or Fox Float X should fit but not sure about a Cane Creek. Has anyone done this or might know?

Thanks!
Paul

I installed the Float X on my 2013 Strive 9.0 AL, and also put in a volume spacer. No more blowing through the travel. It made a huge difference even though I am now selling the bike.

I sold my Float CTD and waiting for a Monarch Plus RC3. Now I'm not sure if I should had keep the same bushings or need to buy new ones?

And also saw this on Canyon's website:
"Originally assembled dampers on the Canyon Strive can not be replaced or changed by any other damper whatsoever!"

What about this, are they talk about the shock or the frame?
"The damper of the strive contains neddle bearings and should only be dismantled or mounted by Canyon service."

I'm afraid have sold the Float with some hardware that I'll need to mount on the Monarch!

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 2:49 Quote
Just ordered a Torque DHX Whipzone! Ordered it from in stock so hopefully it should be with me by the end of the week. Looking forwarding to it arriving and putting it together.

One question for anyone else who has one, what are the spring weights that it comes with in the forks\shox?

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 9:39 Quote
I didn't opt for the fancy setup, mine came with a 400lb. Might be different though, I have last years FRX, The DHX might be different
Edit, no idea what spring came in the fork, presumably medium

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 13:44 Quote
@ Rooster-x - thanks for your comments on your RockShox setup! I'm definitely thinking of switching from Fox to RockShox on my Strive. Can you confirm yours is good without a volume spacer kit and also if it's a Debon-air model or not?

@FoxDaCosta - I emailed Canyon about changing the rear shock and this was my reply -

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Strive 9.0 SL.

We are pleased for deciding on a Canyon. The CaneCreek Double Barrel will not fit the 2013 Strive.
The Monarch Plus RC3 Shock will in the following specification 200x57 HV LL. Deppenig on your weight and driving stile I would recommend a air tune spacer kit. This will increase the progression of the shock."

Followed by -

"The LL stands for low compression and low rebound. I'm sorry the Debon air was never tested in Strive AL model. We have only tested the Rock Shox Monarch RC3 with HV air chamber and LL tune."

I'm not really sure how much difference the shock tunes makes but I'm trying to track down a Debon-air with LL tune now, which seems difficult so every place I've found so far has only offered the MM tune. I'm going to contact tftuned.com next.

Would be good to hear how you get on with your replacement and fitting once it arrives.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 15:23 Quote
p4ul wrote:
@ Rooster-x - thanks for your comments on your RockShox setup! I'm definitely thinking of switching from Fox to RockShox on my Strive. Can you confirm yours is good without a volume spacer kit and also if it's a Debon-air model or not?

@FoxDaCosta - I emailed Canyon about changing the rear shock and this was my reply -

We are pleased for deciding on a Canyon. The CaneCreek Double Barrel will not fit the 2013 Strive.
The Monarch Plus RC3 Shock will in the following specification 200x57 HV LL. Deppenig on your weight and driving stile I would recommend a air tune spacer kit. This will increase the progression of the shock."

Followed by -

"The LL stands for low compression and low rebound. I'm sorry the Debon air was never tested in Strive AL model. We have only tested the Rock Shox Monarch RC3 with HV air chamber and LL tune."

I'm not really sure how much difference the shock tunes makes but I'm trying to track down a Debon-air with LL tune now, which seems difficult so every place I've found so far has only offered the MM tune. I'm going to contact tftuned.com next.

Would be good to hear how you get on with your replacement and fitting once it arrives.
Thanks for the information. My Monarch should arrive tomorrow it's a 200x57 HV but not MM, there wasn't any LL as a option but should be alright for my aggressive riding.
What about bushings, any special/different hardware needed?

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 1:56 Quote
@FoxDaCosta - I didn't get any info on bushing or any specific hardware needed. Maybe email Canyon, I found them helpful and quick to respond.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 8:58 Quote
p4ul wrote:
@FoxDaCosta - I didn't get any info on bushing or any specific hardware needed. Maybe email Canyon, I found them helpful and quick to respond.
Received the Monarch today but unfortunately can't fit it yet!
The eyelets have a different size, the top one it's quit common - 8 x 22,2 but the bottom one it's impossible to find on sale. I've send an e-mail to TF Tune to get a custom made one.
What a shame! Madder

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 9:00 Quote
AdamBartonUK wrote:
p4ul wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the 2014 Rock Shox Monarch compare to the 2013 Fox Float CTD on the Strive AL?

I have a 2013 Strive 9.0 SL and as seems to be experienced by many other riders am blowing thru the travel.

I had a ride on a mates Mojo HD with Cane Creek DB Air and Pikes and was pretty impressed by the forks and overall suspension, so think I'm sold on the Pikes now.

I haven't tried a volume spacer in the rear shock but was wondering if it would be better it to replace it instead. If the 2014 Strive frames are the same a Monarch or Fox Float X should fit but not sure about a Cane Creek. Has anyone done this or might know?

Thanks!
Paul

I installed the Float X on my 2013 Strive 9.0 AL, and also put in a volume spacer. No more blowing through the travel. It made a huge difference even though I am now selling the bike.
Did you buy new bushings and what's the size of the bottom one?

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 2:16 Quote
p4ul wrote:

Followed by -

Hi shock is fine without volume kit, only needed one of those on the 2013 Strive with the Fox shock. As Canyon replied to you it is the LL tune with HV air can, Debonair version not available yet, was interested in getting the Debonair upgrade air can but does not look like it will be available in the UK until the last quarter of the year. Will see what others think about the upgrade to see if its worth doing or not but loving it at the moment. Off to Grizedale Forest tonight, been a great summer up to now for riding in the UK, hasn't been this dry since 2006!

Cheers

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 11:19 Quote
Hi, I did a Canyon search and came across this club....and I thought I was the only Canyon pest! Love em! Big Grin

I own a 2011 Nerve AM 8 and a 2012 Strive ES 8! Both awesome bikes within their own right.

My questions are ref the Strive, can anyone give me some top tips on the following-

1. Thinking of doing the mega avalanche next year, anyone done it on a strive?
2. Any no brainier up grades I should do? (Sorry bit open I know).
3. Thinking of running a 1x10 with a oneup component 42t rear cog (or similar) anyone got any feedback on such a set up?

Apologies if I've hijacked any thread...first time on such a sight!

Thanks

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 12:58 Quote
The strive seems like a good bike for the mega, I'm thinking of entering next year too on my torque, which is a bit overkill.
If you go with a single ring I'd go with a full guide like an e13 LS1 or a superstar plasma, so there is no chance of your chain falling off.
I have had good experiences with both.

I've not used a wide range cassette but you might as well get one for the extra range, I don't think they have any drawbacks. I find a 12-34 cassette and a 32t ring up front gives me just enough range, though I'll probably end up replacing it with a 12-36

Stocking up on spares and tools is probably a very good idea

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 3:47 Quote
atts73 wrote:

My questions are ref the Strive, can anyone give me some top tips on the following-

1. Thinking of doing the mega avalanche next year, anyone done it on a strive?
2. Any no brainier up grades I should do? (Sorry bit open I know).
3. Thinking of running a 1x10 with a oneup component 42t rear cog (or similar) anyone got any feedback on such a set up?

Thanks

Hi atts73, I upgraded to 1 x 10 on my 2013 Strive using One-Up 42t Cog, and ran it with Shimano XT Shadow Clutch Rear Mech, Raceface Narrow / Thick 34t Chain Ring and Shimano 10sp chain. I dropped the original E13 chain guide and ran it without and it never dropped the chain but I put this down in part to the Shimano Clutch Mech, if your running SRAM you will probably need a top guide (my current 11sp 2014 Strive has a top guide).

Gear shifting was pretty good, but not as good as my current 11sp SRAM X01 on my current 2014 Strive, but it was quieter on the descents and you can pedal backwards on the big ring, unlike the SRAM X01 I am running now, this is because there is less tension on the SRAM clutch mech and a nasty chain line on the 11speed means it doesn't like pedaling backwards on the big cog.

Compared to a 2x10 setup it is a little slower on the road (loss of Higher gear ratios) and harder on the legs uphill (loss of Lower gear ratios) but this is outweighed by no front mech shifting problems and you don't need to think about what gear you are in you just shift. You soon get used to the extra effort required on the legs and it makes no difference on the trails apart from afterwards at home where your legs glow / ache a bit more than before.

Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017844
Mobile Version of Website