Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 4:54 Quote
Freeriiider wrote:
Freeriiider wrote:
Ade5 wrote:

I have the 2014 of that model in size medium and i'm 184 cm.. And it works fine, i think the large would work just as fine for me.. The only time it feels a bit small is going downhill in 40 km/h and faster..

Sounds good. I'm going to try the large and see how it feels. As I understand it I can return the bike in worst case scenario.

It was a perfect fit!
First ride with the new beast
Nice bike mate!
Can you write a review soon and let us know what kind of riding and trails are you doing on it?
I'm thinking in buying one but not sure if will fit my riding/trails.
Thanks in advance Smile

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 7:38 Quote
I've only had time to do a couple of more serious runs on it and so far it works really well. But i'll have to test it more to give a good review. What I can say so far is that it's no problem pedaling uphill even though I would recommend good stamina if you're doing long runs. The terrain I've been riding I would class as all mountain. Pretty mixed up and down with lots of roots and small rocks even a few drops of maybe 0.5 meter. This video is actually exactly where I'm riding. The guys in the video are riding torques.
https://vimeo.com/83376218

But I also plan on doing some downhill next summer and I think it will work really well. I find pure DH bikes are too slow for me when the terrain gets a bit flatter. The Torque is such a great bike for when you want to use it for more than one purpose. How it handles more hardcore downhill I'll have to wait and see. A bit more tweaking of the suspension is also needed. But the small adjustments I've done so far has done wonders.

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 22:46 Quote
Freeriiider wrote:
It was a perfect fit!
First ride with the new beast

Looks great, I think the pictures on Canyon's website don't do justice for this bike. Smile

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 at 9:48 Quote
Hi guys,
I'm planning on selling my 2013 Canyon Strive AL 9.0 Race.
See the album on my profile or contact me!

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 1:37 Quote
JonGales wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm planning on selling my 2013 Canyon Strive AL 9.0 Race.
See the album on my profile or contact me!

I'm pretty curious to as why you want to sell? I was close to buying a Strive but ended up with the Torque because I'm a pretty big guy(115Kg) and I didn't think the suspension would be up to handling my weight on the Strive. Btw I pumped up my shocks to recommended psi for my weight on my Torque and acutally had to let quite a bit of air out to get the sag right so for anyone wondering the Torque can handle 115Kg no problem at all. Have not been close to bottoming out yet.

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 6:09 Quote
Freeriiider wrote:

I'm pretty curious to as why you want to sell? I was close to buying a Strive but ended up with the Torque because I'm a pretty big guy(115Kg) and I didn't think the suspension would be up to handling my weight on the Strive. Btw I pumped up my shocks to recommended psi for my weight on my Torque and acutally had to let quite a bit of air out to get the sag right so for anyone wondering the Torque can handle 115Kg no problem at all. Have not been close to bottoming out yet.

Nothing wrong with the bike. I got good chances on a 50% sponsorship from another brand, and that's it, just kind of want to go to 650b and carbon.
For the shock on the Strive: from stock it is too linear, there you were kind of right. But after some light tuning it now performs really well. I just added the large fox volume spacer and added a little pressure to the boost valve. It now is still as comfortable as from stock but sits higher in it's travel.
PS: I did not have bottoming out problems, I mean a harsh feeling at the end of the travel. But due to the SAG-meter and a run with the GOPRO facing the shock I realized that I hit the end of the travel quite often and also slammed the pedal in the ground from time to time. Here the stock boost valve pressure apparently worked well (no harsh bottom out)

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 23:18 Quote
I'm looking at getting a canyon in the near future and I was wondering if the nerve would be able to handle some slightly technical trails for a few months. I know the spectral would suit the more technical trails but I will be moving to a place with some great xc trails in a year or so. Also I'm 6'2 so I would assume I would need a large or if available an XL but since no demo bikes are available if I could get your opinions that would be great.

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 2:16 Quote
Nikkelsanddimes wrote:
I'm looking at getting a canyon in the near future and I was wondering if the nerve would be able to handle some slightly technical trails for a few months. I know the spectral would suit the more technical trails but I will be moving to a place with some great xc trails in a year or so. Also I'm 6'2 so I would assume I would need a large or if available an XL but since no demo bikes are available if I could get your opinions that would be great.

I guess it depends upon how technical they are. I ride with a guy that has 120mm travel(like nerve) and he maxes out his fork. This is on quite technical trails in the woods with a lot of root and rocks. I'd say 140mm-150mm is about right. Go for the spectral! You'll be able to go a lot faster and chose more fun lines.

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 3:12 Quote
That's what I was thinking, do you think the spectral will be okay when it comes to xc rides? I'm just concerned that the spectral will seem a little sluggish on longer climbs.

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 at 4:55 Quote
Nikkelsanddimes wrote:
That's what I was thinking, do you think the spectral will be okay when it comes to xc rides? I'm just concerned that the spectral will seem a little sluggish on longer climbs.

I haven't tested either but the Nerve has 69.5 HA and the Spectral has 67 HA. I think the Nerve will be quite a bit better for climbs..but in the end it's all about stamina. I do climbs on my Torque EX no ploblems but yes it's a lot harder. But comming down the mountain is a lot more fun Smile Choose your poison.

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 0:58 Quote
I have a friend who rides a three year old Nerve around the Lake district, its not as quick as my Strive on the descents as expected, but goes well on the climbs, only problem he had was destroying a light weight xc rear wheel, but that's the Lake district for you. If you can, go for one with decent wheels or put money aside to upgrade in the future.

My Strive keeps up with him on technical climbs but when terrain is smoother he has the advantage, but he has to pick his way down carefully on technical descents where as I just pin it and hold on tight, smashing through the rocks! Smile

Tom

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
Nikkelsanddimes wrote:

Unless you want to race with it the Spectral should be good for XC rides. I have a Strive and don't have any problems with the climbs I am doing sometimes 1700m elevation in a 50km ride. That also means a 1700m descend and that is pure fun on the Strive! I had a Giant Trance last year and I couldn't ride the descends with it as I wanted it was just too much for that bike and I rather compromise on the climbs, but I got stronger so I am not slower on the Strive. Two weeks ago I even did a local XC race with it as I was lazy to put proper tires on my 29 HT bike. The Strive wasn't built for XC and I definitely felt that but I still finished in mid pack. Smile

So if you buy the Spectral you won't suffer on the XC rides but you will be able to enjoy the descents much more than on an XC bike.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 10:59 Quote
My local trails aren't on the gnarliest of hills so it's pretty much XC with a few decent descents and the Spectral takes everything, up, down or along, really easily and probably nicer than my 29er HT did. I just stick the sus into climb mode (fox CTD front and back on the 2014 6.0) for the big hills and I definitely hold my own against my XCer mate.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
Can you get a replacement rear through axle for the spectral anywhere? i looked on the site but its not in there shop? or can i buy one from somewhere else, like does it have to be canyon made? or will any 12mm 142mm work?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.107987
Mobile Version of Website