Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 11:50 Quote
[Quote="nicoSB"]
Joe31 wrote:
Hi can anyone give me some much needed advice I'm torn between the canyon spectral or the strive my budget is £2500

Type of riding I do will be trails,xc,and small jumps just worried if I get a spectral and become more confident will it hold me back or am I going to be overbiked with the strive also the spectral is lighter so thinking it would be easier uphill and on the flats
I was in same dilema as you, previously had Canyon Torque 2006model, it was more like a tractor bike feel, 10 years later, i really wanted something more fun, nimble, lighter, so was torn between strive and spectral, have red everything about them looked every possible test, forum and chosed spectral (cf 8.0), compared to canyon torque, it is like formula car and also on steroids, but refined steroids! More capable in every single way, even downhill, or if you wish more capable even then me Big Grin Big Grin . Cant comment on Strive, but in my imagination and what you see from paper they are very very similar bikes. I was leaning on lighter, simpler bike (without shapeshifter) and bike that looked better to me (clean top tube and link), and cool yellow color, so Spectral CF it was!

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 11:57 Quote
If your main way of riding is just trail and riding for fun and stuff like that Spectral is best choice.

If you like to ride and you are thinking about doing racing or you live in place that have alot of DH stuff but you still want to ride up you pick up Strive.

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 12:21 Quote
Thanks for all your comments looks like its going to be the spectral stealth or rebel red decisions

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
Joe31 wrote:
Hi can anyone give me some much needed advice I'm torn between the canyon spectral or the strive my budget is £2500

Type of riding I do will be trails,xc,and small jumps just worried if I get a spectral and become more confident will it hold me back or am I going to be overbiked with the strive also the spectral is lighter so thinking it would be easier uphill and on the flats

Sounds that the spectral will be enough for you! Having riding both, i would think that the main difference is not really on the climbs (they both climb like there is no tomorrow), but on very (very) high speed chunky gnarly stuff, where the strive is more stable. For super technical but slow stuff, the fact that their head angle (with similar fork) is about the same, makes both bikes feel similar. I though about buying a strive for the next enduro season but you can make the spectral a race machine with the proper components (Joe Barnes still). And finally, the most important thing for me, the fun is definitely on the spectral side, the strive is more fun that most of the full-on enduro bike that I tried though...
Also there is still the option to go for a large frame spectral, exemple the large spectral has similar number than the medium strive, that's probably what i'm gonna do in the future..

You'll be fine on the Spectral, I use mine on all the local steep tech stuff and it's amazing. I ride some jump trails with sizeable jumps and it's fine (with the suspension setup right) I only use my DH bike for uplift days. There are some times when a longer travel bike would be nice, but the spectral keeps up and it's rare for me to really need it.

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 12:44 Quote
Joe31 wrote:
Thanks for the advice maybe I'll go for the spectral then just did you find the strive to be heavier and is the spectral any good going downhill

You can find plenty of review..

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/canyon-spectral-cf-9-0-ex-review/

https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/trail-enduro-bikes/canyon-spectral-cf-9-0.html

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Canyon/Spectral-CF-9-0-EX,16783

http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/flows-first-bite-canyon-spectral-cf-ex/

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 17:59 Quote
Csaszi78 wrote:
juxtapozy wrote:
Anyone buying the Strives on Sale? I`m about to get this one, but need advice please.
are the 2016 Strive CF 9 "TEAM" Sizes, RACE or REGULAR sizes?

"TEAM" Edition sounds by it`s name "Race Geo", at least it appears so in their 2017 lineup, the CF 9 is called RACE TEAM now but i wonder if it was the same Race Geo on their 2016 models. Anyone knows ? Thanksss!

The customer service at canyon is not giving enough confidence about the answer they gave me, they said it was regular geo, but i`ve seen different numbers on the web so i`rather trust you guys here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
photo

Welcome at Canyon,
From 2017 all models are Race geo (longer front end), 2016 had Regular and Race. Teams are race geo.
If you fancy for longer bikes, Strive in race is your bike.
Absolutely spot on...
Hope it helps.

believe me, you can trust us Whip . find link below for comparison between race and regular geo, hope it help Beer
https://www.canyon.com/en-sg/innovation/strive-geometry/

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 18:50 Quote
Joe31 wrote:
Thanks for the advice maybe I'll go for the spectral then just did you find the strive to be heavier and is the spectral any good going downhill

Considering Justin Leov just rode the 2W Giant Enduro in Rotorua on his Spectral (I was on my Strive), you can assume that the Spectral can handle the jandal on the DH. All but 1 of the six trails in that enduro race were on grade 5 (black diamond) trails. Whilst only one had any form of rocks in it, every trail is littered with drops, roots, tree stumps, ruts, switchbacks, and steep inclines, so every bit of it testing the bike out.

A lot of the bikes performance will still be governed by the suspension spec, so get the best spec you are comfortable in affording. Your coin is better directed at the forks and shock, than at Eagle over GX.

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 19:52 Quote
[Quote="Csaszi78"]
juxtapozy wrote:
Welcome at Canyon,
From 2017 all models are Race geo (longer front end), 2016 had Regular and Race. Teams are race geo.
If you fancy for longer bikes, Strive in race is your bike.
Absolutely spot on...
Hope it helps.

Thanks for all the advice fellow Canyon Owners! I`m so glad I asked you because I could have ended buying the wrong size!!! Canyon customer service told me the y were Regular Sizes when in fact they are Race, nevermind you guys really save me. Thanks!
Just completed the order for a Strive CF 9 Team in Race S. I`m 5.6 or 170cm tall, so i think it`s going to be spot on.
I should have introduced myself telling you that I`m currently on Strive AL Regular S and it has been life changing for me coming from a DH background, (the infamous Trek profile pic and a Session) SS has been working great and bike is awesome.
As a real and already a Canyon Owner (forgive my Profile Trek Pic) I wanted to get your blessings and approval Razz to be here by submitting a couple of pictures of my Strive AL and how deeply in love I`m with her. Cheers!
Bike to work got me this pic the other day.
Coast of Arequipa y pretty amazing.

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 1:18 Quote
franzns wrote:
Just got back from 7 days in Madeira riding with Freeride Madeira. Last day we hit one of the trails that Ratboy was riding in his last video from Madeira. 2nd run of the day and i cased one of the gaps really badly. Bent the chain ring, broke a tooth off it and damaged the rear triangle on the bike.
Lucky i was able to use a pair of pliers to bend the chain ring so i could use the bike for the rest of the day. Spoken with the Canyon guys here in Norway so driving the bike there tomorrow so they can give it some love Smile

This is the result of not clearing the gap. Bent the chain ring and damaged the rear triangle.

This is the result of not clearing the gap. Bent the chain ring and damaged the rear triangle.

Does anybody else have cracking in this area where the chain guide is bolted on? Although this instance was caused by a bad case, I'm wondering if there is a design issue and the mounts are not strong enough.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 1:56 Quote
Randomscruff wrote:
franzns wrote:
Just got back from 7 days in Madeira riding with Freeride Madeira. Last day we hit one of the trails that Ratboy was riding in his last video from Madeira. 2nd run of the day and i cased one of the gaps really badly. Bent the chain ring, broke a tooth off it and damaged the rear triangle on the bike.
Lucky i was able to use a pair of pliers to bend the chain ring so i could use the bike for the rest of the day. Spoken with the Canyon guys here in Norway so driving the bike there tomorrow so they can give it some love Smile

Does anybody else have cracking in this area where the chain guide is bolted on? Although this instance was caused by a bad case, I'm wondering if there is a design issue and the mounts are not strong enough.

Carbon or Al.?

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
scoobaru wrote:
Tyjay wrote:
Thanks so stuck in DH mode

So now to get the piston extended

Thanks for all the info chaps

Pump it up to 15-18bar, step off the bike, now try the lever. If the piston won't extend then check all the bolts and mechanism for binding/friction. If it seems free then the SS is probably stuffed.

Hi I'm trying your solution, and I don't know if i have to unscrew the pump. When I unscrew the pump it i loose some presure . How can I remove the plastic cover to check if all are set correctly.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
melias24 wrote:
Randomscruff wrote:
franzns wrote:

Carbon or Al.?

The crash itself did not do the damage, I bent the chain ring really badly and then when i tried to pedal afterwards the chain ring pushed against the chain guide and that is what caused it the break on the frame. The bike is a CF race 9.0.

I have delieverd the bike to the Caynon guys here in Norway, with my model you cannot buy the rear triangle separately which kind of sucks.

The mechanic got back to me today, Canyon have agreed to give me a new CRP frame for about £1000, the mechanic also said that if that was too expensive he could try to get me a used rear triangle off another bike frame which had some other problems. So just waiting to hear back how much that will cost.

According the the mechanic he has seen the problem before and said that i could just keep riding the bike as is and this will not cause the rear triangle to break/snap. I am just thinking about resale value here, i would never buy a carbon bike with this kind of damage so would like to get if fixed.

Will see what they quote me for a used rear triangle and might go for that option, but i dont think £1000 for a new frame is actually that bad.

No one said biking was a cheap sport. haha

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:36 Quote
By the way for those saying that canyon factory team riders ride on spectrals, those are not stock spectrals those are modified versions with larger rear wheel travel, lower bottom bracket and slacker head angle. They do that by changing the rear rocker arm, with I wish was available for sale. However the stock spectral is a great bike, though the ones you can buy don't come with the rear end of the Factory team that are different.

minute 3:54
Views: 17,630    Faves: 24    Comments: 0

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
wouldn't by a new frame just because of that,
If you want a chain guide just fit a ISCG one and keep going.

franzns wrote:
melias24 wrote:
Randomscruff wrote:

Carbon or Al.?

The crash itself did not do the damage, I bent the chain ring really badly and then when i tried to pedal afterwards the chain ring pushed against the chain guide and that is what caused it the break on the frame. The bike is a CF race 9.0.

I have delieverd the bike to the Caynon guys here in Norway, with my model you cannot buy the rear triangle separately which kind of sucks.

The mechanic got back to me today, Canyon have agreed to give me a new CRP frame for about £1000, the mechanic also said that if that was too expensive he could try to get me a used rear triangle off another bike frame which had some other problems. So just waiting to hear back how much that will cost.

According the the mechanic he has seen the problem before and said that i could just keep riding the bike as is and this will not cause the rear triangle to break/snap. I am just thinking about resale value here, i would never buy a carbon bike with this kind of damage so would like to get if fixed.

Will see what they quote me for a used rear triangle and might go for that option, but i dont think £1000 for a new frame is actually that bad.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:47 Quote
franzns wrote:
melias24 wrote:
Randomscruff wrote:

Carbon or Al.?

I like that a lot, that's the way franzns

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025268
Mobile Version of Website