Need to buy a chainsaw!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Need to buy a chainsaw!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2013 at 17:28 Quote
right so basically i want to buy a chainsaw but my parents dont want me to have one, so keeping it in the house is a no, however i can purchase the saw from a store down the road (a STIHL ms170) i want to keep it at my trail but hen how would i hide and maintain it, mainly any idea on how i can get parents to let me get it?

Posted: Jul 22, 2013 at 4:33 Quote
pretend you done a saftey course and print out a fake certificate, say you want to do it as a job or something, obviously you will be blatantly lying and manipulating the situation, but you'll get what you want

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 at 4:55 Quote
Your 14. Unless Spanish law is very different I doubt you can legally buy one and to be honest I think your parents are extremely sensible not wanting you to have one. I wouldn't trust most 18 year old's let alone a 14 year old.

Posted: Jul 22, 2013 at 6:51 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Your 14. Unless Spanish law is very different I doubt you can legally buy one and to be honest I think your parents are extremely sensible not wanting you to have one. I wouldn't trust most 18 year old's let alone a 14 year old.

yeah actually didnt realise you were so young, not a good idea

FL
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 Quote
a chainsaw isn't that easy to operate,
you've got to adjust your chainsaw gaz, air mix
adjust the oil
and know how to sharpen a chain and know when to lower the the knob

you've got to used it safely and properly

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 5:57 Quote
you dont need a chainsaw for trailbuiling, buy a bow saw.

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 10:32 Quote
Get a bow saw and get a good tricep work out at the same time

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 11:12 Quote
Theyre cheaper, lighter, easier to work with store and transport, pretty much maintenance free apart from a new blade every know and then which again will be far cheaper than petrol, oil, grease and replacement chains.
On top of this they do just a good a job as chainsaws but only a lil bit slower.

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13 Quote
i have a bow saw but its just a pain as it takes soo long...

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 15:26 Quote
well i have to use a chainsaw at the moment as ive got about 12 massive trees fallen down over where i want to build a trail, so im f*cked

Posted: Jul 27, 2013 at 8:21 Quote
A chainsaw isnt that hard to use if u just get someone to show u how to fell trees. Im 15 and i use one for trail building but i dont see how u could afford a brand new one ther over a grand here. Also you shouldnt leave it out at ur trail exposed to the elements

Posted: Jul 27, 2013 at 9:30 Quote
Honestly the chainsaw is a scary option, and the reason your parents don't want you having it is probably because they're hard to handle at 20 years old, which is when I learned how to use one, three years later the thing still scares the shit outta me, almost lost my foot once because I had a friend who was stupid. If it gets stuck (which it will) it's VERY hard to deal with, and it's kinda dangerous. I've seen people do some SERIOUS damage with them. I lived in a place where wood was the most common source of heat. The amount of people I've seen get injuries with a chainsaw is ridiculous. Stick to the hand saw or an axe, those are still quite risky if you don't know how the tree is falling, but it's safer than a 30 pound hunk of metal with teeth that get pulled around it.

FL
Posted: Jul 31, 2013 at 8:29 Quote
i received a free old chainsaw, i had to buy a new chain 25$, a new carburator kit 15$ (1.5 hours to install it), new cord + newcord enroller 35$ (30 minutes to install) and buy a sharpen kit 20$ luckelly i didn't have to buy a new plate (50$)

so it's quite expensive, i was lucky a biker friend know chainsaw mechanics and repair it for free, but after all this time spent tuning the chainsaw i bought him a bottle of rhum 25$ for all his work

so had up all the money spend it's expensive, but it cut way more than a bow saw or an axe.

if you don't know how to use it, your chainsaw will get stuck and you will probably have to buy a new plate and new chain

ps. i own a jonsered 535 around year 2000 and it cut

Posted: Aug 3, 2013 at 10:20 Quote
I've used various chain saws a lot. They aren't very hard to use after you understand how to use one safely, and the tricks on how to cut stuff well and use the saw properly. You need someone to teach you chainsaw skills. It's to dangerous to try to teach yourself.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 at 11:39 Quote
Get a silky sugio 420 or a foldable bigboy xl. Amazing what you can cut through with these and super fast.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012674
Mobile Version of Website