Poll: If you lost your front teeth from a accident would you stop riding? #HelpSoulSearching

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Poll: If you lost your front teeth from a accident would you stop riding? #HelpSoulSearching
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 7:12 Quote
Hey fellow PBers,

I've recently have taken a nasty spill and I cracked my two front teeth in half. I had to get one tooth removed and an implant put in and the other was crowned. I was just ridin XC so I didn't have my full face on.

I'm contemplating selling everything and giving it up, because losing teeth is a nightmare that I've had multiple times and it F#ckin came true. I'm in a pretty bad place mentally about it, I would have just about rather broken any bone in the body than to lose my front teeth. The sh!t sux especially since I'm a sales rep and can't even talk right or smile not to mention the 4k it put me out.

I'm not sure how to get over it, so I wanted to ask the community if they were honestly faced with the same situation, what would you do?, Give it up, or keep riding? I'm 31, married, and just bought a house so I'm not sure if riding is worth it anymore Cry .. I have other hobbies but none that I love like ridin. I'd like to hear from people who have been in this same situation or from those who can realistically put their self in the same situation, but any opinions help. Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 8:09 Quote
Sounds like a freak accident. Its unlikely to happen every time you go out. Easy way to stop the teeth being a problem is take a full face with you, strap it to your bag for the climbs, plenty of Enduro riders do that now. If your worried about breaking bones to well that's part and parcel or riding but everything we do in life has risks and if you look at mountain biking as a sport there are no more injries really than most other sports.

If you really love it you'll find a way to ride. I know I couldn't give it up. I would find a way to make it work for me.

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 8:52 Quote
I'm with Shoe on this one: Everything we do has some inherent risk but to just pack your bags and move on is not the solution.

If you ride within your limits there is as much of a chance to lose some more teeth as there is a chance that you will be hit by a car that runs a red light. Control what you can control, defy what you cannot.

Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 9:30 Quote
I broke one of my front teeth when I was young, I am now in my 30's and the tooth is nothing but trouble. I rode with a mouth guard for a long time. I still enoy riding but I will not "go big" due to having to take time off work and not being able to pay my bills. Its just not worth it.

Posted: Jul 27, 2013 at 6:26 Quote
Fuk it, I love ridin I can't give it up..what's the worse that can happen now, loose my fake teeth lol..Just no more riding without the full face. I thought about hockey players, and realized I can't change I've been rippin for half my life.

Thanks for the advise especially something I'll keep in my head which is "control what I can & defy what I can't!" I just got to let go of the need to thread the line.

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 2:05 Quote
DirtMcGuirk07 wrote:
Fuk it, I love ridin I can't give it up..what's the worse that can happen now, loose my fake teeth lol..Just no more riding without the full face. I thought about hockey players, and realized I can't change I've been rippin for half my life.

Thanks for the advise especially something I'll keep in my head which is "control what I can & defy what I can't!" I just got to let go of the need to thread the line.
that's the spirit fella yeeeeee haaaaaa

Posted: Aug 4, 2013 at 21:46 Quote
When my brother was 9 years old he went off a ramp on a scooter (LOL) and IMMEDIATELY FACE PLANTED on pavement. He completely knocked out both of his two front teeth and now has fake ones. Ever since that incident he has been a lot bolder in all aspects of life now at the age of 21 he actually brags about his fake teeth. Nowadays it really isn't that bad when you damage your teeth, mouth, or face (to an extent) due to the numerous options in terms of remedying the situation through medicine, surgery, or replacement.

Keep threading the line man! You've got one life to live might as well live it up!

Posted: Aug 5, 2013 at 8:32 Quote
very tru bro, about today's world of medical technology, I had the thought of people's implants & fake teeth of ten yrs ago when it first happened. I appreciate the perspective & opinion. talkin with friends and other riders about it and how they would feel has helped me get over it mentally. It's definitely been tuff goin & a lil depressing. Its been a month now and ive healed up pretty good so far, still got another 5 months before my mouth bone heals all the way. But I agree, I'd rather go to my grave lookin like a demolition derby car than not living it up.

Posted: Nov 7, 2013 at 9:04 Quote
Rode the last 2 days!..1st ride back xc, 2nd hit the DJs! Feels good, lil squirrely tho but rust knocked off quick..def holding back some.

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 4:52 Quote
Yeah keep riding.
Does it still make you happy?
Its healthy, it ain't hurting anyone, it makes you happy, keep it up.

The good thing with teeth is they can be fixed, yes its costly but it can be fixed.

Posted: Feb 2, 2014 at 20:54 Quote
Same happened to me man. I know how you feel. I think about it all the time and its always in the back of my head. Don't ever quite what you love. Shit happens but don't let it stop you. Just be carefull. So much tech. out there now buy a special mouth guard for the downhills strap it to you helmet, or just wear a full face.

Posted: Feb 7, 2014 at 5:18 Quote
rapit2theredline wrote:
Same happened to me man. I know how you feel. I think about it all the time and its always in the back of my head. Don't ever quite what you love. Shit happens but don't let it stop you. Just be carefull. So much tech. out there now buy a special mouth guard for the downhills strap it to you helmet, or just wear a full face.

Yeah, I had my dentist make me a serious mouth guard, it's like a hard shell on the outside. My dentist just so happens to ride too, and he said if I had the mouth guard I wouldn't have lost the teeth. I finally just got my permnament teeth this Monday, it took 6 months for the mouth bone to heal with the implant. I can't believe how good it looks and feels. It's crazy it's like a better version of my exact old teeth. I've been back on the bike for a month. At first, I was riding with the fullface, and I just got the mouth guard and yesterday was my 1st ride back with the XC helmet. So it was a good day,,full circle finally, I'm already having to remind myself to dial it back lol.

Posted: Feb 7, 2014 at 6:25 Quote
Just keep riding mate .if u break bones u wouldnt be able to work for 6 to 8 weeks .so whats the point in worrying what might happen u might aswell enjoy what u do. ive got 2 teeth missing metal plates in my left arm torn ligaments in my back a f*cked left knee .and i go biking all time with or without injuries .you are only here once mate

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 at 10:10 Quote
Keep hittin' the trails man! As most here have already said you're here on this earth once, might as well do what you enjoy. Last year I had a HUGE wreck, broke both my elbows, suffered a pretty severe concussion, messed up my shoulder was in the ER for two days. about 6 months later I was back on the bike hittin' the trails. Granted, I was bit more cautions. If you take anything from this I guess it would be wear your damn helmet and pads. My helmet literally saved my life. I've got friends who ride all geared, elbow, knee, helmet, gloves, mouth guard and now I'm the same way with exception to the mouth guard because my teeth are already f*cked.

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 12:03 Quote
Just wear a fullface 24/7. i have heard of too many incidents like this, so i bought myself a nice light strong fullface and now i use it everytime i ride, i got my GF one too.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008810
Mobile Version of Website