RST 801-7 suspension fork

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
RST 801-7 suspension fork
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 15:26 Quote
I own two 2001 Giant Cypress LX Bikes. The suspension fork on one of them has fallen apart. From several repair shops I have gotten some very expensive quotes for the replacement part and installation. The fork bears the Brand and model number of RST 801-7. I've been told that this fork is a threadless steerer fork. I've been able to find them on EBay in the UK but the sellers will not ship to the USA.

My two basic questions are:
1. Where can I buy a replacement suspension fork that is either the same part as the original or an equivalent of the hte original?

2. Does anyone out there know if I need to be looking for a 1" or a 1 1/8" steerer tube fork?

Posted: Jul 26, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
Installing a new fork takes some special tools. It seems to me that a local bike shop should sell and mount it.
The current fork is very basic, so a equally good fork shouldn't be more than 100$ excluding labour.
Repairing a 12 years old fork makes no sense.

Posted: Jul 27, 2013 at 15:51 Quote
BenjaminX2 wrote:
Installing a new fork takes some special tools.

Not really. 4mm or 5mm allen key for the stem. 5mm allen key for the brakes. Hammer and flathead screwdriver to remove the headset race (not many people actually have the tool for this). Hacksaw to cut the new steerer tube to size (lots of easy ways to make a guide to get a straight cut) or a pipe cutter.

If you want to get really fancy here are the extra tools, but they are not really needed:

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraightdirt/2011/09/14/toolbox-ice-toolz-exprt-crown-race-puller/
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/star-fangled-nut-installation
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/fork-steering-column-length-and-sizing

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 7:25 Quote
I'm not too worried about installation or the tools. My frustration is that an exact replacement seems impossible to find and that no one (lbs, individuals, etc.) seems able to tell me what equivalent fork in any brand would be.

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 9:32 Quote
There are three parameters to match.

Steerer tube. Your old fork is probably an unthreaded 1 1/8" steeerer tube from the image i found. This should be easy to find. Just make sure the length is the same or longer.

Brakes are a problem. Looks like you old fork has cantilever brakes. These are harder to find new these days. Pretty much every mtb these days runs disc brakes, even the department store ones. You might have to resort to buying used.

Travel. You want to match you old forks travel. I assume the 801 translates to 80mm. Find a fork with 80mm. If you go bigger, you will change the geometry on your bike and add extra stress to the frame that it might nott be designed for. You could probably go to 100mm, but dont go more.

A couple decent entry level forks to try to find might be a rock shox dart, rock shox duke, manitou axle or a manitou black.

RST forks are junk, dont replace it with the same fork, get something a little better.

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 9:35 Quote
And if you are pretty set on buying new and cannot find a cantilever mount fork, you might have to upgrade to a front disc brake. Nothing saying you cannot run a disc in front and a cantilever in back.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.015701
Mobile Version of Website