Moving to BC: best place to live for riding?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Moving to BC: best place to live for riding?
Posted: Oct 9, 2013 at 20:24 Quote
All depends on how committed u are to getting some work to live, at the end of the day. I just moved to Roberts creek, and I have to say that the trails already here, combined with the potential is truly unbelievable. All year. You would not be dissapointed if u moved here to mtn bike. Check out coast gravity park for a look into the future of riding here. Its a little slow by city standards, but that's why I moved here. Depends on what you need outside of riding.

Posted: Oct 26, 2013 at 17:45 Quote
I moved to Cumberland In the Comox Valley. Housing is reasonable for BC, the valley has Costco, Superstore, Walmart, etc. The riding is incredible and year round on the lower trails. Mt Washington Ski resort is 30 min away if you want snow sports. I just retired so I'm not sure how hard it is to find work though. Even though my pension is not huge every day I wake up feeling like I won a big lottery.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2013 at 15:49 Quote
DoubleDog wrote:
I've lived and biked all over BC and finally settled in north van.
Not to mention, Squamish and the Shore are only a stones throw away and are ridable year round. There are not too many places in this world that you can ride and ski some world-class terrain in the same day.

I second that wholeheartedly - anywhere in the Lower Mainland is a great for riding. You get a good dozen year-round places to ride within no more than a 20 minute drive. You also get the variety that Whistler, the Loops, and K-town have to offer - these places make for excellent weekend getaways. And if you live in Vancity, you will probably be able to have a decent enough job to actually be able to afford to travel and buy all the nice stuff that you want. Also, there is a large road cycling scene to keep you fit and just change up the riding styles. Lastly, we have a fairly long skiing season here with three mountains so close to the city that I go up there several times a week after work.
Speaking of work: you mentioned that you just finished school, can I ask what field of studies? What type of work are you looking for? If I were you, I would not settle for a minimum wage manual labour job along the likes of bike shop wrenching. There are plenty of better opportunities here that not only pay well right off the bat, but will also move you in the right direction career-wise. The sooner you start working in your field, the sooner you will be able to buy more shiny bike stuff.

Posted: Jan 6, 2014 at 21:01 Quote
Squamton.

Squamish gives you access to the North Shore, Whistler, Pemberton, and not too far away is the Fraser Valley and Washington state. And Vancouver, of course, if you crave sum city now and again.

Oh, and Squamish riding is pretty awesome t'boot...

Squamish and the North Van are two really great choices IMO.

Good luck in yer search, if you're not here already...

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 14:32 Quote
Squamish rules! Considering moving there. Such a good mtb scene

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 15:59 Quote
What about the riding scene in gibsons/Selchelt? I might be moving there this fall for the mountain bike operations program.

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 18:30 Quote
the riding there is mind blowing. you wont be disappointed

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
So we have planned a permanent move from Ontario to BC for the summer of 2016. We have decided Surrey looks like a great city that is growing and has ample opportunity's for jobs. My wife being a school teacher and myself involved in renovation/construction. I have a 12 yr old and 18 yr old boys and we are all crazy mtb's and love all mountain type riding,flowy trails,downhill,enduro racing, we all own 6 inch full suspension bikes.
I know would be around a hour from Squamish and 2 hours from whistler but I am looking for info on the local riding scene and trails. Where we live now I have to travel in my car anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours for decent trails but I do have a 20 km ride next to my house for everyday training rides. Can anyone tell me about the riding in surrey?
I have seen a bit of stuff online but just looking for the inside scoop! Any info or links much appreciated. Cheers!

Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 16:56 Quote
Do your research on Surrey before you move there. Its known province wide and not for any good reasons.

Surrey is a suburb of Vancouver (ie: no riding). Its suburban hell to be nice about it.

If you love really bad traffic and crazy high prices but awesome riding, try North Van. Everything else in the lower mainland is secondary. Further out the valley gets you more riding but its a long commute to Van.

To be honest you could live in Squamish (with amazing riding out your back door), work in Vancouver, and have the same commute time as if you lived in Surrey.

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 17:56 Quote
DrSanchez wrote:
Do your research on Surrey before you move there. Its known province wide and not for any good reasons.

Surrey is a suburb of Vancouver (ie: no riding). Its suburban hell to be nice about it.

If you love really bad traffic and crazy high prices but awesome riding, try North Van. Everything else in the lower mainland is secondary. Further out the valley gets you more riding but its a long commute to Van.

To be honest you could live in Squamish (with amazing riding out your back door), work in Vancouver, and have the same commute time as if you lived in Surrey.
really no riding? Hate traffic. Not rich so not heading to n.van.

I have done my research! Read that's it's expected to double in population in the next three decades and it's the second largest city in bc.
Do you mind elaborating because you just made a city sound very bad with really no reasons. Maybe send me a pm if you don't mind.

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 20:16 Quote
Surrey is full of crime and suburban sprawl. Either be on one end of the city or the other. Chilliwack or Vancouver. Everything in between is an utter waste.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2014 at 21:26 Quote
jeff444 wrote:
So we have planned a permanent move from Ontario to BC for the summer of 2016. We have decided Surrey looks like a great city that is growing and has ample opportunity's for jobs. My wife being a school teacher and myself involved in renovation/construction. I have a 12 yr old and 18 yr old boys and we are all crazy mtb's and love all mountain type riding,flowy trails,downhill,enduro racing, we all own 6 inch full suspension bikes.
I know would be around a hour from Squamish and 2 hours from whistler but I am looking for info on the local riding scene and trails. Where we live now I have to travel in my car anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours for decent trails but I do have a 20 km ride next to my house for everyday training rides. Can anyone tell me about the riding in surrey?
I have seen a bit of stuff online but just looking for the inside scoop! Any info or links much appreciated. Cheers!

There are 2 spots to ride. The South Surrey Bike Park, and the Delta Watershed. Both are fun, but definitely not destination riding. They are also more rolling terrain XC type trails which doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

It's not a great city...and I can say that because I lived there for 10 years.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1108670/ndp-calls-for-community-court-to-help-curb-surrey-crime/

Posted: Jan 26, 2014 at 22:25 Quote
Surrey is loaded with gangs, drug addicts and crime. Plus it doesn't have much to offer mtb wise. Don't buy a house there because you'll deeply regret it. Basically anywhere in metro Vancouver (except Surrey and Richmond) are all ideal. Squamish, whistler, Sunshine Coast and the valley are also great if you like the small town atmosphere

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009300
Mobile Version of Website