Dealing with injuries

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Dealing with injuries
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 22, 2013 at 22:08 Quote
So i Just fractured my femur 2 days ago and doctors said it will take me one month of not even getting out of bed so my question to you guys , How is your experience in dealing with injuries and what did you do in the mean time ?

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 0:14 Quote
I broke my femur in 2009 at the knee, actually split the knee joint in half. I lost all range of motion, so I know how you feel. Dr's initially told me that I would probably never ride or run again. My very 1st day of rehab I couldnt even make a 1/4 pedal stroke on a stationary bike because the joint was locked up.

Mentally, its a huge drag im not gonna lie. However, victory comes in small steps in your rehab and recovery. Just know that the bike will be waiting on you when your able to ride it. The harder you rehab, and train to get back to your previous state will make you a better person.

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 5:28 Quote
Get around to reading books you have an interest in, watch movies. Read inspirational stories of people who have gone through hard times and come out the other side. Puzzles, anything to keep the brain active and occupied,learn a new skill or at least read about it. Read some mental books, athletes love mental training and most of the lessons can be applied to everyday life.

rubik's cube

read a survival guide never know when that will come in handy aha.

Draw, design, write. can you sit up in bed and do weights? any form of exercise with the dr's permission should help keep you feeling a little happier.

Playstation something fast paced that keeps your concentration and reaction times, like racing.

Just some random thoughts off the top of my head.

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 19:32 Quote
In the last 8 years I have broken .

Heel, femur, hip, ankle, ankle again smashed I to pieces, fibula, tibula, knee, and likely a toe or 2.

Femur pics and video on profile.

Anyways... femur.. yup, I couldn't do anything for a long time.. I read books, watched a lot of movies, played lots of guitar, learned some Spanish, drove lots of places ( after the first month or 2) and generally focused on everything I could possibly do to recover. I also smoked a lot of weed which didn't help recovery but kept my brain chill enough to endure the boredom. As with any brake, time is the most important.. you will have things to recover both physically and mentally after but know it will get better with time.. dont drink alcohol much if at all as it kills bridging cells that u need for the healing process to be quick. And stretch after docs say the bone is good enough to. I assume you had surgery and hardware installed? Also a cheap rc helicopter is good times except when it crashes far away. Salute

I was riding Dh 6 months later.... injury happened late fall years ago

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 14:10 Quote
I recently broke my left little finger, through the joint... Just curious if anyone has had this happen and how long was it before you were riding again? Cheers, Guy's.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 11:25 Quote
broken little finger, bit of tape and a teaspoon of cement and away ya go!

as for long term big time injuries, Im just getting back walking after breaking my fib/tib back in May.
photo of the IM nail and holding screws after 4 weeks from the side

The timing for me was as OK as it gets, it was just before the soccer world cup/tour de France (which i was happy enough to watch) and Game of thrones was on so that kept me kind of mentally occupied for the first 6-8 weeks. as it was lower limb I was able to get onto the turbo trainer after a month and built it up to an hour a day on that, did some buying and selling of my bikes.

that said there is only so many box sets you can watch so sign up for some language/computer skills course to keep the mind sharp.

and remember

BONES HEAL, Pain is temporary, chicks dig scars and Glory last's forever!!!

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 at 20:41 Quote
Those x-rays look soooo gnarly how did you break the fib and tib ?

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 7, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
overshot a jump while opposite whipped, didn't get it back and got highsided! Im standing on the leg again but will need shinpads from now on Cry

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013786
Mobile Version of Website