Baseline Mountain, Rocky Mountain House Alberta - request for trail info

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Baseline Mountain, Rocky Mountain House Alberta - request for trail info
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:59 Quote
I have heard the riding at Baseline Mt. near Rocky Mt. House is killer...

Anyone have any beta on trailheads?

Word on the street is that the DH course is easy to find but the other trails are a little harder. Would love to head up there soon so any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 14:26 Quote
I havn't been there in a while but I'm guessing that from the way the town is looking it's probably pretty wet.

Here's a great website on the trails around Rocky.

http://www.whereadventurebegins.com/biking.htm

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 18:24 Quote
If you go out there, stop in at Rocky Mtn Bike n' Board and they can set you up with a general map of the mountain.

At the base are a few xc loops and if you climb all the way up the road (or make friends with someone on an ATV and get a pull) you'll find the entrance to the old DH course (there was an arrow when I was there last). I didn't ride the new DH course so I'm not sure where that starts.

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 at 12:35 Quote
Thanks for this info - much appreciated.

Anyone have any first hand experience on these trails?

Do you have to "earn your turns" and ride up or is this shuttle friendly à la Moose Mountain?

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 at 12:41 Quote
With baseline you need to know people. There is a gate so you can't drive your truck up. Sadly, after living here for 2 years, I have yet to be up there.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 14:47 Quote
The trails up on baseline are some of the steepest and gnarliest around or they were 3 years ago when I was out there last. As curriousDeanne was saying you won't get up that road (without pedalling) unless you know someone cuz the bike shop in town is kinda goofy. They don't really support the trails that are up there yet they hold a DH race on them???
Anyways the people that have access to the road have their own little personal paradise. Trails with names like Jaffey's and "ghost dog" (there are quite a few more). I'll give you one hint as to who to talk too... listen for a guy named "D-Rock" and buy him lots of beer and be nice to his dog... Good luck it'll be worth your time!

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 17:17 Quote
I agree with MDee, the trails on baseline are great, steep, loose and definately not for beginners. Do a little hiking, or better yet ask around and volunteer to help do some maintenance and you will be suprised how much more inviting people will be with their trails. D-rock put many hrs into the trails there, if you ever meet him definately buy him beer.

There used to be a lady who worked up there every summer as a fire lookout...Rosie I believe(there is a trail named after her as well). If you put the effort into hiking to the lookout tower take her a present. She may give up the secrets.

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 19:14 Quote
Sounds like the entire town uses beer as their currency.

They may be on to something.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 at 14:01 Quote
That is the way this whole biking community operates. Its ammazing what kind of service you get for your "emergency" at lbs when you show up with a case!
Same goes for trails... We're all just looking for like minded people and beer tends to bring us all together!

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
hey guys. im loving how many ppl know about baseline. i live in rocky and know baseline quite well. the trails are generally steep, some are killer tech, and one that i know of is isanely steep to begin with but is then the perfect angle and full of decent sized hits. as of my drive last weekend. theres still a foot of snow at the bottom. so that means 2-3 at the top. can't wait till it leaves but can't do much untill then without snowshoes.

Posted: May 5, 2008 at 22:56 Quote
Just wondering if you can ride Baseline yet?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
I was out there sunday. Quite a bit of snow. Also the lock is changed again. You want to hit someone who knows the code up.

Posted: May 10, 2008 at 12:02 Quote
they just got over a foot of fresh snow at baseline so unless a couple people go out with shovels and clear a trail it won't be rideable untill june...unless it gets really hot

O+
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 12:11 Quote
Don't even get me started on the dump of snow we got. It's like mother nature hates us out here.

Like i said, there was snow when I was there last week then we got this dump and they'res still quite a bit of snow in town so you're probably looking about 2 feet there as we speak.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
im headed out on may long. not to sure which day but i'll fill yall in on how much snow is there and if i make a trail rideable.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013512
Mobile Version of Website