Fox 180 Talas on a stumpy fsr EVO?

PB Forum :: Specialized
Fox 180 Talas on a stumpy fsr EVO?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 13:35 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to expand the descending capability and ease of my 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 26 and was thinking about swapping out the 150mm Revelation fork with a Fox Talas 180-140 fork instead. The head tube on this thing is butch and I like the overall bike and its XC capability but really want more travel and stability in the front that this stock fork just isn't really providing on big hits. Any opinions or suggestions?
Thanks a ton,

Ryan E.

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 20:33 Quote
don't do it will risk braking frame and will destroy factory geo

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 11:09 Quote
What do you think about 160-120 fork instead?

Posted: Sep 20, 2013 at 16:05 Quote
collegecruiser wrote:
What do you think about 160-120 fork instead?

Try to limit it to 160mm,
The new pike or some fox 36 forks would be ok , I'd ask spesh what they think, because if something breaks you may lose a warranty claim

Posted: Sep 20, 2013 at 20:02 Quote
If you want a more stability in the front of the bike go with this http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/pike-rct3

I have already put a 2014 Pike 29er on a customers bike last week and it is extremely better.. He told me that the bike is more responsive and stable at high speeds and descents then ever before. He has a 2012 Stumpjumper EVO Expert Carbon 29 er.
This fork goes for about $1350 Canadian.
When I tried his bike I like the way I was able to get more aggressive pointing the bike into some narly rock gardens with confidence.

I wish I still had my 2013 Stumpy EVO expert to put this fork onto. Oh yeah Just to let you know, I am 235lbs and not scared to get my bike sideways in the air.

Or you can go with a FOX 36 Talas for about the same price. The Fox is a little bit heavier, yet some like the FIT cartridge better than the Mission Control. Either way both forks are a great upgrade to what you already have.

And as for Specialized warranty, do not worry about either of these forks because both work well with the geometry of the bike.. I know this because I work as a service manager at a bike shop that sells Specialized bikes.

Just make sure that you have a bike shop install your fork so that there is a paper trail for your warranty just incase something goes wrong.

Posted: Sep 21, 2013 at 1:13 Quote
The pike is actually a charger damper not mission control. Before getting a fork you could always try a shorter stem (50 - 60mm) or new wheel set. But your best bet is a new fork, as the revelation has 32 mm Stanstions, you could. Even get a fox 34, 150 Or 160

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 13:15 Quote
I appreciate the responses.
I was looking at used 3012 fox 36's based on price. Anyone else ran a 36 160-120 fork before? thoughts? I like the idea of raking in that fork for steep climbs up fire roads and the like: Any other shocks offer that feature?

Ryan

Posted: Sep 25, 2013 at 11:22 Quote
Yeah, I've been on the fox 36 van, probly the best fork I've used. Make sure to get a spring to suit ur style and weight. Also later down the road you can always put a float system in it, making it lighter and more adjustable, just a little less performance

Posted: Sep 26, 2013 at 12:59 Quote
sladevallydh wrote:
Yeah, I've been on the fox 36 van, probly the best fork I've used. Make sure to get a spring to suit ur style and weight. Also later down the road you can always put a float system in it, making it lighter and more adjustable, just a little less performance
Which 36 Talas model is an air spring? Is that the Float part?

Posted: Sep 27, 2013 at 4:30 Quote
Well il put it this way there's 3 versions of the 36

Fox van 36.
-coil spring
-best performance
-but also the heaviest

Fox float 36.
-air spring
-adjustable to your weight
-little less performance then van
-but is the lightest out of the 3

Fox talas 36.
-air spring
-has travel adjust feature
- has the worst performance of the 3, due to the extra seals (more friction)
-and is lighter then the coil

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 5, 2013 at 20:28 Quote
I swapped out the 150mm Revelation on my 2013 Evo with a 160mm Fox Float 36 - no looking back. The improvement is unbelievable and I notice no measurable reduction in climbing efficiency, although undoubtedly some might. Any extra lung burn you may experience on the way up will be quickly forgotten the minute you begin descending.

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 at 10:16 Quote
Good to hear, hope I helped

Posted: Jan 2, 2014 at 11:36 Quote
Putting the 180 mm fork on it would make it a much more DH worthy, and would only slightly raise your BB, which many people think is too low on Specialized bikes anyway. The 180 should give you a head of maybe 66, which is perfect on the steep stuff.

You will have slightly unbalanced travel, but so what? You'll have a super plush, burly front end and more confidence.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012716
Mobile Version of Website