DH bike for 10 year old

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH bike for 10 year old
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 15, 2013 at 13:45 Quote
My 10 year old nephew has shown interest in DH riding, his birthday is coming up and was thinking about building him up a bike so that he can come out with me.

What frame and fork combo would you suggest, he is fairly small for his age, currently rides a 20in wheel halfords special.

would like to do this on a budget as i think it may be one of his many fads!!

Olly

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 18:35 Quote
Get him one of these
http://lilshredder.com/LIL_Shredder_Frames.html

Posted: Sep 19, 2013 at 12:48 Quote
ive seen a couple of people buy demos and put 24" wheels on em until theyre ready for the big wheels. im sure you could find a small demo in the buy/sell for a good deal and replace a few parts here and there, clean it up, and itll probably look new. although, it still may be a little too big for him..

those lil shredder bikes are dope too. although im only 21, so i dont have a whole lot of knowledge about kids and growing.. but @ 10, id venture to say he'd only get 2-3 years outta one of those before you gotta get him a whole other bike.

just thinking ahead here, and tryna save you some monies Wink

Posted: Sep 19, 2013 at 12:50 Quote
oh, another thing ive also noticed:

the young guns have trouble reaching the desired sag on coil forks, even with a soft spring in it.. try to stay with an air fork until he adds a few lb's..

also, it completely skipped my mind, but if you dont want to spend as much on a bike as a demo.. check out the status.

Posted: Sep 21, 2013 at 17:20 Quote
commencal 24 inch

Posted: Sep 21, 2013 at 21:39 Quote
If he is just getting into it I would really suggest just getting him a nice solid hardtail. He won't be riding anything a hardtail can't handle any time soon. This way he will really learn the fundamentals.

I'm a firm believer that everyone should start out on a hardtail.

Posted: Sep 28, 2013 at 6:34 Quote
Kona stinky 24 or a norco b line 24. We have both, the kona is lighter (although I built this up for my youngest and used relatively light parts).

Commencal supreme 24 is also lovely. If he rides a 20" bike at the moment, I'd go for the kona as it comes up the smallest.

Good luck!

Posted: Sep 28, 2013 at 6:47 Quote

These are ours, the kona was used recently in the alps by our 10 year old and the norco by our 12 year old. Norco heavily upgraded, kona built by me (bought used frame only).

Simone

Posted: Oct 2, 2013 at 8:01 Quote
this Kona lasted me a while until i started to outgrow it and need more travel. It cost about £450 on ebay which was a pretty good deal. after that i added a couple of upgrades lying around in the garage. i would definitely recommend buying from either ebay or Pinkbike Buy and Sell as you can get nearly new stuff for about half the price of it new. hope this helps!

Posted: Oct 2, 2013 at 8:15 Quote
I'm a firm beliver on getting kids going on hardtails for the lower maitence cost and it helps them learn how to absorb more of the trail which leads to them being a better rider in the grand scheme of things.

If that isn't doable the Commencal supreme 24, Norco B-line, and Kona Stinky 2-4 where the bitchen 24 kids DH bikes in my day I would give those a look aswell.

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 at 5:06 Quote
i got my first dh bike around 10 yrs old and that was high ocane II and worked well for me back then

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 10:25 Quote
If you can find one, the big hit grom is the best of the bunch. My son tried a Commencal Supreme 24 and the Stinky 2-4 this summer and they were a lot slower than his Grom. I would definitely try for air suspension as well, most coil forks/shocks are way too hard for young kids.

Posted: Oct 23, 2013 at 9:34 Quote
Just picked up a similar Big hit Grom for my 8yo. Bike is a beast! I think he's going to have to muscle up a bit to really enjoy it, but I know he's stoked to have it. I'm interested to see if he grabs that our his Podium jr next time we head out.

Posted: Oct 26, 2013 at 0:26 Quote
My friend build his kid kona stinky24 with rp23 and fox 32 up front.
His young guns took it to local dh track and do 3ft drop easily. Btw he jus 9yr old.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.018190
Mobile Version of Website