First Full-face Helmet Guidance

PB Forum :: Beginners
First Full-face Helmet Guidance
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2013 at 6:20 Quote
Hello!

I've been riding dirt again this summer, and progressing quickly! But, as I take a lot more risks, and ride with the guys I do, I'm crashing a lot more too. With the recent investment I made in my teeth (from a rather nasty header on my single speed town bike), I'd like to purchase a full face helmet.

I'm primarily a trail rider, but there's some fairly gnarly stuff here in some locations. Plus, I plan on taking some holidays to far more aggressive locales as I continue to progress.

Key features for me are: good ventilation (living in the south, this is very important), moderate weight, cost (I'd like to keep it under $125), and compatibility with goggles (I will purchase some too, for wear with my enduro style helmet as well).

I've done a lot of research, but wanted to turn to the community. I've narrowed the list, and would love your feedback and experiences:

661 Comp Shifted
Fly Default
Demon Zero

Any that I'm missing?

I can never find good reviews on Demon's stuff, and this helmet is new, but I'm all for recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 6:17 Quote
You should defo check out the o'neal backflip and fury. Very comfortable, decent ventilation, the fidlock is ace and they're really cheap for what you get. I've also tested it's crash protection and can attest to it's durability againt a tree stump at high speed.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2013 at 5:36 Quote
dubminion wrote:
...Any that I'm missing?

The Sanction by Bell

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 23:23 Quote
I just recently bought a Fox Rampage. I got a steal on it but I find it's really comfortable and vented pretty well. I get claustrophobic in masks and stuff and this doesn't really bother me until I get kinda tired. Better than I can say about the paintball mask in my display picture.

Posted: Oct 9, 2013 at 17:57 Quote
MustGoFaster wrote:
dubminion wrote:
...Any that I'm missing?

The Sanction by Bell

This, I've got a sanction, my two friends have a CompShifted and a Rampage. Mine has way better visibility from the lower chin guard than both. The Bell and 661 both are about same weight and they are very comfortable. Do not buy the Rampage, it's basically horrible. The three helmets I compared are Medium in size but the fox was much tighter and extremely hard inside, as though it missed some padding inside. It also has a huge chin guard that seriously impairs visibility. All three suffer from venting though, I live in quebec, it gets up to around 30 degrees here and averages at about 25 all summer long but all these helmets got our heads basically wet after one or two descents, not great. Bottom line is, at this price, my sanction is really nice and comfy and I would recommend it, closely followed by the 661. Avoid the Fox Rampage.

Posted: Oct 9, 2013 at 18:02 Quote
MaxAlary wrote:
MustGoFaster wrote:
dubminion wrote:
...Any that I'm missing?

The Sanction by Bell

This, I've got a sanction, my two friends have a CompShifted and a Rampage. Mine has way better visibility from the lower chin guard than both. The Bell and 661 both are about same weight and they are very comfortable. Do not buy the Rampage, it's basically horrible. The three helmets I compared are Medium in size but the fox was much tighter and extremely hard inside, as though it missed some padding inside. It also has a huge chin guard that seriously impairs visibility. All three suffer from venting though, I live in quebec, it gets up to around 30 degrees here and averages at about 25 all summer long but all these helmets got our heads basically wet after one or two descents, not great. Bottom line is, at this price, my sanction is really nice and comfy and I would recommend it, closely followed by the 661. Avoid the Fox Rampage.

I'd have to disagree on the Rampage being hard on the inside. Mine is quite soft, a bit tight but it's loosened up quite perfectly since I got it. The chin strap is the ONLY thing that bothers me, and it bothers me on nearly EVERY helmet made ever. The chin guard is a bit big but I tilt the chin guard down and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Posted: Oct 9, 2013 at 18:23 Quote
My comment was based on my experience of riding with the helmets stated above, and the Fox was the absolute worst. It felt almost square inside and even though properly seated on our head, it feeled like it needed to go in further to be right, but one size up was wayyy to big and loose. This is not only my opinion but all my friends agreed, in fact the owner of the Rampage replaced it after trying ours, but if you like it, good for you. I still STRONGLY recommend trying them all before making a choice.

Posted: Oct 9, 2013 at 18:42 Quote
MaxAlary wrote:
My comment was based on my experience of riding with the helmets stated above, and the Fox was the absolute worst. It felt almost square inside and even though properly seated on our head, it feeled like it needed to go in further to be right, but one size up was wayyy to big and loose. This is not only my opinion but all my friends agreed, in fact the owner of the Rampage replaced it after trying ours, but if you like it, good for you. I still STRONGLY recommend trying them all before making a choice.

Yeah. I tried the Sanction and I really liked it. But They didn't have any more when I was able to buy so I grabbed the Rampage. I found it's pretty decent. But I do agree with those points of it being a bit "square". I found it tight at the start and then after wearing it and sweating a bit it became far more comfortable.

Posted: Nov 1, 2013 at 5:09 Quote
I've ended up going a different route with the Kali Savara.

I ordered it online, so when it finally shows up, I'll let you know my thoughts!

Posted: Nov 5, 2013 at 23:29 Quote
Theres the Giro Remedy

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 21:29 Quote
Not all helmets fit the same just as not everybody has the same shaped head. You need to go and try some helmets on in The price range you are looking, and buy the one that fits best.

It should be snug enough it doesn't move around and tip back to easily. Yet not so tight that it gives you a head ache. Make sure there are no pressure points.
Make sure it breathes well. When you are breathing hard after putting the power down you want as much fresh air as you can get.
It should be light enough you could wear it all day without neck fatigue.

This isn't as important.. But I factor it in as IMO it relates to build quality. Some helmets will crack and creak. This can be horribly annoying listening to while you rip down the trail. it also means there is movement between the inner and outer shell.

Personally when I was trying helmets I found the fly to be rather bulky though astheticaly it looks kinda cool.

Posted: Nov 8, 2013 at 7:43 Quote
I got the Savara the other day, and it's snug at a Medium. Feels great. The cheek pads are nice and tight. Feels super light, and looks pretty boss! Lots of vents, but haven't had it out at the trails yet to see the airflow. Will be doing so tomorrow, and i'm excited to take the new lid for a spin. seems to be decent peripheral vision.

Also sorted out a couple of pairs of goggles for the lid. Got two pair for one on ebay, went with 100% Accuris because of good fit reports with the Savara, and they weren't lying! Fit is perfect.

Pics for reference, and a full review from the trails this weekend to follow!

Kali Savara helmet 100 Accuri goggles
Kali Savara Helmet 100 Accuri goggles

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013415
Mobile Version of Website