Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: May 17, 2016 at 20:06 Quote
Maqroll wrote:
So I went back to my LBS & expressed my concerns about sizing. My 2016 Trance Advanced 2 size Small gets here Thursday of this week.

All LBS employees agree I should be on a Small. So I did parking lot test on a 2015 Trance Advanced 1 all XT (Same bike as yesterday's ride) Felt OK, snappy, could turn very easily. I felt in total control of the bike. Maybe a bit short on Reach... (Coming off 425mm reach vs 399 on Trance)

They brought out a Trance size Medium but aluminum. I immediately felt the bike was way bigger and felt sluggish... Of course it was the lower-tiered aluminum with lesser parts & more weight...

Totally confused at this point... LOL. It may be a psychological thing as I've come to hate my current 29er size Medium & have developed an aversion towards bigger bikes.

So I'm back to feeling OK about my size Small frame, perhaps use an 80mm stem?

Understand this is no XC rig & a 100mm stem would not match the bike's character...

Just for kicks I jumped on an Anthem Advanced 27.5 size Small & Medium. Did not like them at all. Much prefer the more upright position of the Trance.

I'm 5'8", i ride a small trance with 50mm stem and 740mm handlebar. I compensated by adjusting the seat post height a bit high and adding a 125mm dropper. Rides okay and definitely better compared to when I was using a medium sized frame.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 22:46 Quote
Just found a great deal on SLX brakes ($90 for a pair). I have a '15 Trance 2 with the stock Deore shifters. It seems like they are I Spec-B but I was hoping that someone can confirm this before I order the brakes.

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 0:31 Quote
Really can't believe in 2016 someone suggested an 80mm stem. .
If you think you need an 80mm stem you really need a longer frame the steering will feel terrible. The current trend of short stems wide bars and longer top tubes isn't for show its for bike handling
If your riding is all smooth xc stuff and the long stem feels right then perhaps look at buying an anthem as that would be better suited to your style of riding or get yourself a retro bike from 1996

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 2:41 Quote
stubb wrote:
Really can't believe in 2016 someone suggested an 80mm stem. .
If you think you need an 80mm stem you really need a longer frame the steering will feel terrible. The current trend of short stems wide bars and longer top tubes isn't for show its for bike handling
If your riding is all smooth xc stuff and the long stem feels right then perhaps look at buying an anthem as that would be better suited to your style of riding or get yourself a retro bike from 1996

THIS. lol

An anthem perhaps is much better or maybe doesn't want to go over budget in buying a new frame?

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 3:57 Quote
stubb wrote:
Joejoehut wrote:
chickenrunz wrote:

Sorry ignore my comment - I thought you had a 150mm dropper seat post ;p
Was wondering if that fits into a trance med ;p

I'm curious about that too, when looking at droppers at my lbs I noticed the 150mm travel ones. personally I think it would be better because you could get your saddle even lower on descents. So hopefully they do fit a medium trance
having just had to mess about with a 125 reverb swapping to the old style hose connector at the base of the post in order to get it in far enough past the pivot point ,,if you can make use of a 150 drop on a medium i think your riding the wrong size frame

I'm really over this size business ... it's like ladies' fashion. One year's large is the next year's medium. Eg Trance medium = reign small!

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 12:01 Quote
Maqroll wrote:
So I went back to my LBS & expressed my concerns about sizing. My 2016 Trance Advanced 2 size Small gets here Thursday of this week.

All LBS employees agree I should be on a Small. So I did parking lot test on a 2015 Trance Advanced 1 all XT (Same bike as yesterday's ride) Felt OK, snappy, could turn very easily. I felt in total control of the bike. Maybe a bit short on Reach... (Coming off 425mm reach vs 399 on Trance)

They brought out a Trance size Medium but aluminum. I immediately felt the bike was way bigger and felt sluggish... Of course it was the lower-tiered aluminum with lesser parts & more weight...

Totally confused at this point... LOL. It may be a psychological thing as I've come to hate my current 29er size Medium & have developed an aversion towards bigger bikes.

Understand this is no XC rig & a 100mm stem would not match the bike's character...

Just for kicks I jumped on an Anthem Advanced 27.5 size Small & Medium. Did not like them at all. Much prefer the more upright position of the Trance.
You should try the Medium with a shorter stem, maybe 50mm, rather than considering a longer stem on the Small.

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 13:49 Quote
About to upgrade my 15 Trance 3 to XT 1x11 - a bit confused about chainlines, was going to order this kit from CRC, will a 50mm chainline work?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-1x11-drivetrain-groupset/rp-prod137311

O+
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 14:36 Quote
whyte-rider wrote:
About to upgrade my 15 Trance 3 to XT 1x11 - a bit confused about chainlines, was going to order this kit from CRC, will a 50mm chainline work?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-1x11-drivetrain-groupset/rp-prod137311

50mm chainline should be fine, just stay away from boost stuff. Here's an interesting read about chainlines:

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/understanding-chainline-for-optimal-1x-conversions-boost-and-non-boost

O+
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 14:43 Quote
nakos wrote:
Just found a great deal on SLX brakes ($90 for a pair). I have a '15 Trance 2 with the stock Deore shifters. It seems like they are I Spec-B but I was hoping that someone can confirm this before I order the brakes.

Pretty sure they are but I haven't had the stock shifters in a long time. Should be able to tell if you take it off, this guide seems to be pretty useful:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/article/shimano-i-spec-a-b-and-ii-mounts-explained-44410/

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 4:18 Quote
Maqroll wrote:

I'd most definitely go with a medium. Slap a 30mm stem on with some 780mm or 800mm bars, and you'd be killing the trails. Going for longer stem only means your trying to convert to a XC bike. Then just buy the Anthem, go ride fire roads for life, ehehehe

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 6:00 Quote
I wouldnt get that kit, you dont need new cranks. I've just done the same upgrade from 1x10 to 1x11. Kept my existing cranks and used an absolute black 32t chainring, it already had spacers to push in the chainline. Personally i wouldnt buy the XT cranks, there are better options out there that are more future proof.

I'm running 11-40t cassette, i'd go for a 42t next time i think for some of the steeper climbs. Depends on your riding though.

Using SLX cranks with shimano BB, chainlink is approx 50mm. Ideally you want it about it probably about 48.5mm. You can just use spacers or depending on BB move the spacers from the drive side to the other side.

whyte-rider wrote:

O+
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 6:03 Quote
I was going to upgrade my drive train as well but think I am going to wait till the XT di2 drops in a few months.

Posted: May 20, 2016 at 21:35 Quote
I ended up ordering a Spank Oozy trail bar, stem and pedals. Pretty excited for them to come in! I'm really happy with my Trance, I can't stop riding it. Even when I'm tired and muscles are spasming I just can't bring myself to stop riding haha!

So what kind of differences in handling should I be expecting with a 50 mm stem and wider bars?

Posted: May 20, 2016 at 23:16 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:
I ended up ordering a Spank Oozy trail bar, stem and pedals. Pretty excited for them to come in! I'm really happy with my Trance, I can't stop riding it. Even when I'm tired and muscles are spasming I just can't bring myself to stop riding haha!

So what kind of differences in handling should I be expecting with a 50 mm stem and wider bars?

You will suddenly be able to rail off camber corners and clear jumps that are 10' longer than with the stock bar and stem.

Posted: May 20, 2016 at 23:50 Quote
Hi I have a 2015 giant trance 3 and need to know if a fox talas 150 fork from a brosnan with an 18.
3 cm steerer tube length will fit my bike.

I am also upgrading the wheels using mavix crossmax xl, from a reign 1 2016 anyone running these on the trance.

Last option is to upgrade the shock, should i go stock 200x51 or 200x57 and with either the debonair or fox float.

Looking forward to getting these upgrades done.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013720
Mobile Version of Website