Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: May 21, 2016 at 0:01 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://s32.postimg.org/6d1zwrs3p/IMG_20160520_160802.jpg
My Trance 2014 M frame with upgrades:
- RS PIKE 150 SOLO (2 tokens)
- FOX FLOAT DPS EVOL 200x51 remote (will add some tokens soon)
- DT SPLINE 2 wheels
- Shimano M8000 1x11 + AB OVAL 30t
- Ergon saddle and grips
- Giant PINNER DH pedals
- NobbyNics 2,25 EVO

Rides fantastic Smile

O+
Posted: May 21, 2016 at 8:00 Quote
MadPaddy wrote:
Hi I have a 2015 giant trance 3 and need to know if a fox talas 150 fork from a brosnan with an 18.
3 cm steerer tube length will fit my bike.

I am also upgrading the wheels using mavix crossmax xl, from a reign 1 2016 anyone running these on the trance.

Last option is to upgrade the shock, should i go stock 200x51 or 200x57 and with either the debonair or fox float.

Looking forward to getting these upgrades done.

I think mine is cut to 16.8 cm and it is no where near slammed, so that should be plenty long. As for the wheels the front should be good but might have to convert to through axel rear? I want to do this conversion though on my bike when I upgrade the wheelset. Anyone on here done it?

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 9:44 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
MadPaddy wrote:
Hi I have a 2015 giant trance 3 and need to know if a fox talas 150 fork from a brosnan with an 18.

I am also upgrading the wheels using mavix crossmax xl, from a reign 1 2016 anyone running these on the trance.

Last option is to upgrade the shock, should i go stock 200x51 or 200x57 and with either the debonair or fox float.

I think mine is cut to 16.8 cm and it is no where near slammed, so that should be plenty long. As for the wheels the front should be good but might have to convert to through axel rear? I want to do this conversion though on my bike when I upgrade the wheelset. Anyone on here done it?
if the wheels are coming off a reign you'll need to convert to the 142x12mm rear end dropouts.

200x57 is awesome for a more downhill kinda feel. run 33% sag with a few volume spacers in the shock and the bike sits into it's travel beautifully and really improves the tracking and forgiveness on the rear end.

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 12:20 Quote
potato photo of the latest upgrade for more downhilling - 200x57 coil shock

photo

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 14:30 Quote
MadPaddy wrote:

what size frame?
My Med has a 100mm head tube and the fork steerer is ~180mm with room for several spacers.

Shock - like was said apparently 57mm stroke works fine so I'm planning to get one too, but, there are several different models of Monarch Debonair and Fox Float, which are you looking at?

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 17:47 Quote
Hey guys just curious, is it normal for the trances to creak a lot? Mine is only a week old and its creaking quite a bit, just want to know if this is common and what to do about it. Thanks!

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 18:17 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:
Hey guys just curious, is it normal for the trances to creak a lot? Mine is only a week old and its creaking quite a bit, just want to know if this is common and what to do about it. Thanks!

Hmmmm... Mine doesn't creak but I have the aluminum. Could be any number of different things from seat clamp/post/rails to pedal bearings and even internal cables rubbing together or against the frame. Of course it could also be coming from the pivots, bottom bracket, headtube or stem. Sometimes it's hard to isolate where the creak is coming from. Do your best to narrow it down and report back.

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 19:52 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:
mine did it occasionally and it went away when I tightened the rear axle a bit more (DT-style thru axle). Not sure how tight is too tight...

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 20:43 Quote
I have the aluminum too ( ended up buying the Trance 1) It seems to be coming from the bottom bracket and the pivots of the rear triangle and maestro links. But to be fair it is brand new and is in it's break in period. I'll ride it a little longer and bring it back to my shop to tighten up any stretched cables and check the pivots like they suggested I do. I've already ridden 100+ km in my first 4 rides and I feel like I'm thrashing it decently hard lol. Just can't get enough. I'll report back if there is anything worth mentioning!

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 21:46 Quote
Keep an eye on the derailleur hanger too, they tend to loosen.

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 22:27 Quote
PashtetOd wrote:

photo

Does the shock fit to the frame without problems? Or did you make any customization to make it fit?

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 0:21 Quote
corollafreak wrote:
PashtetOd wrote:

photo

Does the shock fit to the frame without problems? Or did you make any customization to make it fit?

filed some material from the shock, it interfered with the upper linkage a bit - approx. 1.5mm

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 6:24 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:

I have the trance 2. Got about 150 miles on it so far and finally gave it a proper cleaning this past weekend. She was as dirty as a 5 dolla hooker. No creaking so far.

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 12:51 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:

Check your seat post. Mine creaked quit a bit. Only when seated though. Post just needed a clean and a dab of grease. No more creaking. You can check all the meastro hardware to ensure its tight as well. Headset or bottom bracket after that. Or pedals could be your culprit. Process of elimination.

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 13:03 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
Wolfdog wrote:

Check your seat post. Mine creaked quit a bit. Only when seated though. Post just needed a clean and a dab of grease. No more creaking. You can check all the meastro hardware to ensure its tight as well. Headset or bottom bracket after that. Or pedals could be your culprit. Process of elimination.

Start with the easy stuff first and then move on to the harder to reach places. Why pull your cranks and grease the BB bearings if it was just the lower pivot bolt that needed to be tightened. As stated above, eliminate the easy stuff first and move on from there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015368
Mobile Version of Website