Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: May 23, 2016 at 22:44 Quote
[/Quote]
what size frame?
My Med has a 100mm head tube and the fork steerer is ~180mm with room for several spacers.

Shock - like was said apparently 57mm stroke works fine so I'm planning to get one too, but, there are several different models of Monarch Debonair and Fox Float, which are you looking at?[/Quote]

I'm new to biking so a little help would be much appreciated.

Its an XL frame, the fork is gone so I'm going for a new one, ill be purchasing using CRC. Which fork do most run as an upgrade. I also need a shock.

Are the crossmax xl wheels (again from the reign which is being upgraded) a good upgrade for this bike, or are stans a better option, if so which ones.

I want to get the bike ready for narly enduro trails and races which are coming up in the summer, and keep the standard stuff for winter spins on the singletracks.

Have about 1500 euros to bring it up to this spec but could add another 500 to this. I could sell the bike and get a reign but that would be too easy, and its going to be hard to sell an XL trance at a decent price.

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 6:44 Quote
MadPaddy wrote:

Its an XL frame, the fork is gone so I'm going for a new one, ill be purchasing using CRC. Which fork do most run as an upgrade. I also need a shock.

Are the crossmax xl wheels (again from the reign which is being upgraded) a good upgrade for this bike, or are stans a better option, if so which ones.

I want to get the bike ready for narly enduro trails and races which are coming up in the summer, and keep the standard stuff for winter spins on the singletracks.

Have about 1500 euros to bring it up to this spec but could add another 500 to this. I could sell the bike and get a reign but that would be too easy, and its going to be hard to sell an XL trance at a decent price.

I would recommend Pike 150 or 160 SoloAir + Debonair Monarch Plus RT3 combination, its quite good price and pretty standardized (easy/cheap to get service and parts if neeeded).
For wheels - WTB Frequency Team i25 + DT Swiss 350 hubs (or 240s if you have budget left). Also standard combination which works well. I dont like Mavic wheels because of their proprietary spokes, which are a pain in the ass to find and expensive. Standard J-spokes - you get them in every shop.

Go for standard/popular stuff, stay out of proprietary stuff, which sometimes works 5% better, but its a major expensive pain in the ass for maintenance (which will be necessary if you want enduro races...)

O+
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 15:38 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:
Hey guys just curious, is it normal for the trances to creak a lot? Mine is only a week old and its creaking quite a bit, just want to know if this is common and what to do about it. Thanks!

I used to get a lot of creaking one of the causes was a snapped bolt for the derailleur hanger and the other was fixed by better cleaning and using silicon spray on all the moving parts after every few rides.
I use CRC extreme duty silicon spray it's not cheap but it's the ducks nuts

O+
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 17:49 Quote
MadPaddy wrote:
what size frame?
My Med has a 100mm head tube and the fork steerer is ~180mm with room for several spacers.

Shock - like was said apparently 57mm stroke works fine so I'm planning to get one too, but, there are several different models of Monarch Debonair and Fox Float, which are you looking at?[/Quote]

Have about 1500 euros to bring it up to this spec but could add another 500 to this. I could sell the bike and get a reign but that would be too easy, and its going to be hard to sell an XL trance at a decent price.[/Quote]

I would personally recommend looking for a used Shock and fork as that will eat up pretty much your whole budget before getting to a new wheel set. For the wheels I would personally go for some Stans Flow EX laced up to Hope hubs over the Cross max. For the type of riding you are wanting to do I would go for a 150mm fork, I recently upgraded mine and I am really liking it. I went from the Sektor to a factory float 34 so its more than just the 10mm that are an improvement.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 15:40 Quote
I've seen a few people have changed to a single ring up front on the 2016 models... Have you kept the standard chain guide or put a new one on?
Also, is it possible to run a short rear cage, or is it still advisable to run a medium/long?

O+
Posted: May 26, 2016 at 16:16 Quote
I kind of run a weird set up right now. I got rid of the front deraileur, put on a narrow wide but left on the small chain ring so I have a manual shift granny gear for long climbs. I like my bikes to be near silent and the chain banging around on the deraileur was killing me. Also it's not really a big deal to put it on the small ring for a big climb and switch it back at the top. As for the rear if you are sticking with an 11-36 cassette you could go with something like a zee deraileur. It is what I am going to do if I break my long cage slx that came stock. But hopefully I can just deal with my current set up until the Di2 XT drive train comes out later this season.

But my main answer to your question is if you are going to a single upfront get a narrow wide chain ring and you won't need a chain guide

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 16:17 Quote
martinlird wrote:
I've seen a few people have changed to a single ring up front on the 2016 models... Have you kept the standard chain guide or put a new one on?
Also, is it possible to run a short rear cage, or is it still advisable to run a medium/long?
i have the 2015 trance 2 and went single ring but left the dual chain guide and it works fine , tested on some pretty rocky descents at bike park wales with no problems

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 20:56 Quote
I have a pretty rookie question here and I'll probably risk looking like an idiot but you don't learn without asking questions so here goes anyways:

I'm installing a new handlebar on my bike (Spank Oozy Trail on the same model stem) and I'm wondering how do I know if it is in it's properly oriented and intended position? Right now I have the highest of the indicator lines centered on the stem clamp gap. There are no remarks or indications on the products website.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 21:13 Quote
This might help.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-setting-up-the-cockpit-on-your-mountain-bike-20662/

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 22:53 Quote
Hehe thanks. I did read that prior to posting, i was just hoping for something more specific. I guess trying to figure out the orientation that the product engineer designed it for or like a standard that is used as a baseline starting point but it looks like they are all different. I guess I just expected with all these different rearward sweeps and upward bends that they would indicate how to orientate the bars to get those stats. It's really not a big deal just being anal. I will just trial and error what feels best. Thank you!

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 23:49 Quote
Look from side on the middle bit should go up in the vertical plane. Usually results in handle bars going up and back. Wherever you do make sure handle bars don't go down or forwards.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 11:57 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
Look from side on the middle bit should go up in the vertical plane. Usually results in handle bars going up and back. Wherever you do make sure handle bars don't go down or forwards.
I have a 5mm rise Oozy Trail bar, so the rise section is too short to use for orientation, so I set the grip section just above horizontal, that angle seems a good compromise for me between uphill and downhill.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 19:31 Quote
So far with a 50mm stem and 760mm bars, I find I'm not liking the feel...yet. The steering feels...off and it certainly lost climbing ability. But perhaps I just need to get used to it and adjust my riding technique. Maybe I don't have it orientated correctly but I'm going to play around a little more with it. Maybe even put the 740mm bars back on with a 50 mm stem.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 20:15 Quote
Yup, let us know...

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 21:00 Quote
Hey! Can 2015 Giant Trance 2 small size fit with a 2016 fox 36 160mm and float 7.875 x 2.25? Anyone has done that?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.060493
Mobile Version of Website