Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Sep 28, 2016 at 11:49 Quote
whyte-rider wrote:

I'm 5"5 and ride a small, the small is suitable for riders up to 5"7 according to Giant's sizing.

I'm a bit taller than you and ride a small. I had a long demo (2 weeks) on a medium and prefer the small. The medium felt like I was "on" the bike rather than "in" it.

I don't think Trances size up small, as my friends old large SC Solo v1 was only a tad bigger, and another friends new Bronson medium feels like an identical fit to my small Trance.

Everyone's body is a different shape so I think it's not just height that affects bike fit.

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 at 14:42 Quote
whyte-rider wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times, but what size Trances are you guys running? The top tube seems short, and when you want quick steering and put on a shorter stem, I'm not sure mine feels quite right.

I'm 5"5 and ride a small, the small is suitable for riders up to 5"7 according to Giant's sizing.

I rode my other halves Trek Remedy at the weekend which is a medium, and felt a lot more comfortable and it was a lot easier to get into the air. I was also quicker on it.. it's weird. I can also wheelie it a lot easier than my Trance.

Worried that my beloved bike is a tad small for me Cry
at 5'5" most likely small is the correct size, unless you have a very long torso.
The Remedy may have quite a different setup - bars/stem, saddle position as well as suspension setup. Maestro does make the CS a bit longer than some other bikes so that might make the Remedy easier to manual.

What length bars are you using? Most riders put wider bars when going to a shorter stem, assuming you're not limited by tree clearance on your trails.

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 at 17:43 Quote
They def run true if not a tad larger than many other manufacturers. The '17s are even a tad larger now.

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 at 17:49 Quote
Ended up going a DVO Topaz 200 x 51 for the rear, and a new FIT4 damper upgrade on my 2014 Fox Talas 32 Evo's.
Installed last night and quick little burn up the road made me realise just how much darn better this is from stock setup.

Like a new bike. I'll give it a proper whirly once this rain clears up and report back.

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 at 20:34 Quote
My newly upgraded 2015 Advanced.

I Added a Fox Factory 36 160mm shock and the 200x57 Rockshox Monarch RC3 Debonair.

Its amazing how much difference it has made. It has lost some of its climbing stability/ability. It wanders a bit, and the front lifts, but I think I can adapt my style in order to not notice it too much.

The greatest difference is small bump stuff and just how planted it now feels on trails. I am in awe.

For essentially a 640g increase in weight, it is a very good mod. My bike is at 13.19kg, and I run tank WTB 23i rims, and steel handlebars so its very respectable I think.

A few things... The rear triangle "can" strike the frame with the 200x57 shock. Im not sure if the shock will ramp up enough with my sag to not hit it, but Im heading to Killington this weekend so Ill report back.

Other than that it was a straight forward swap out of my old Fox Factory Float 32 front forks, and the new rear. I did have to press out the bushing from the bottom of the new shock which was a hassle :/

photo

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 0:46 Quote
WRXJim wrote:
My newly upgraded 2015 Advanced.

I Added a Fox Factory 36 160mm shock and the 200x57 Rockshox Monarch RC3 Debonair.

Its amazing how much difference it has made. It has lost some of its climbing stability/ability. It wanders a bit, and the front lifts, but I think I can adapt my style in order to not notice it too much.

The greatest difference is small bump stuff and just how planted it now feels on trails. I am in awe.

For essentially a 640g increase in weight, it is a very good mod. My bike is at 13.19kg, and I run tank WTB 23i rims, and steel handlebars so its very respectable I think.

A few things... The rear triangle "can" strike the frame with the 200x57 shock. Im not sure if the shock will ramp up enough with my sag to not hit it, but Im heading to Killington this weekend so Ill report back.

Other than that it was a straight forward swap out of my old Fox Factory Float 32 front forks, and the new rear. I did have to press out the bushing from the bottom of the new shock which was a hassle :/

photo

Is it small frame?

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 5:47 Quote
maryndh wrote:

Is it small frame?

Its a Medium maryndh

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 8:39 Quote
That thing is sick.

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 8:53 Quote
brianl wrote:
whyte-rider wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times, but what size Trances are you guys running? The top tube seems short, and when you want quick steering and put on a shorter stem, I'm not sure mine feels quite right.

I rode my other halves Trek Remedy at the weekend which is a medium, and felt a lot more comfortable and it was a lot easier to get into the air. I was also quicker on it.. it's weird. I can also wheelie it a lot easier than my Trance.

Worried that my beloved bike is a tad small for me Cry
at 5'5" most likely small is the correct size, unless you have a very long torso.
The Remedy may have quite a different setup - bars/stem, saddle position as well as suspension setup. Maestro does make the CS a bit longer than some other bikes so that might make the Remedy easier to manual.

What length bars are you using? Most riders put wider bars when going to a shorter stem, assuming you're not limited by tree clearance on your trails.

Thanks for the info. I actually spent some time last night comparing the two bikes, geo wise they are very similar and I have concluded the Trance is not too small for me and it does fall in line with other manufacturers.

I am running a 40mm stem and wider bars, I'm going to put my standard 60mm stem on it at the weekend to see how it feels. The Remedy is a 18.5 medium with a 60mm stem and has Fox 34's rather than Manitou Mattoc's like my Trance.

It's just annoying how someone elses bike feels much nicer than my own.. I'll get there with it..

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 22:11 Quote
Just got a 2016 Trance 2.
New...floor model for 1900. Calculated that to be about 33% off msrp. Not too bad for new old stock I think. Picking it up this weekend.

I was seriously considering the 2017. Mainly cuz of the beefier fork and 1x11.
But I figured with the 1k I saved, I should be able to upgrade pretty easily.

Which leads me to my question.
How is the Fox performance 32 with 140mm? It seems to be rather spindly for that much travel. Since its the 2016, shouldnt it have the Fit4 damper? Ive heard that Fit4 is a huge improvement.

Also, any issues with the rear hub? 135x5 qr?

Thanks for the help and any advice or suggestions....Cheers!!

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 23:38 Quote
jsbone wrote:
Just got a 2016 Trance 2.
New...floor model for 1900. Calculated that to be about 33% off msrp. Not too bad for new old stock I think. Picking it up this weekend.

I was seriously considering the 2017. Mainly cuz of the beefier fork and 1x11.
But I figured with the 1k I saved, I should be able to upgrade pretty easily.

How is the Fox performance 32 with 140mm? It seems to be rather spindly for that much travel. Since its the 2016, shouldnt it have the Fit4 damper? Ive heard that Fit4 is a huge improvement.

Been riding the same bike since March. Have only had two problems:

1 - The MRP chainguide ejected the outer plate, cogs and bolt on a ride recently. Best ensure your bolt there is tight all the time Smile
2 - The clamp on the seat post was loose from day one. A bit of over-torquing it on the first ride fixed it up until about two weeks ago when no matter how tight I tightened the bolt, the nose would point skywards after about three cranks. Mind you, the action of the post is awesome. I replaced the post with the new 2-bolt seat clamp version (just had to reverse the piston so it would trigger from inside the post, and used the same wire and control that was stock in the bike to actuate).

As for the fork, I have found it a little harsh, bu then I do swap between three bikes all the time, and each is set up differently, and when I came to the conclusion that the fork was "a bit harsh" was after three weeks of riding a 170mm X-Fusion Vengance on my 2014 Spesh Enduro 26er. On the ride that the seat clamp gave up the ghost, I had played with the fork setup a little and it was going sweet.

To be honest, I haven't really noticed any flex, but no doubt it is there. The worst part about the front end is the Nobby Nic tyre. It's OK out the back, but on different trail conditions I have always felt that the stock Nic just doesn't have the stick it needs. Switched it out for a Hans Dampf Trailstar (or was it Pacestar??? the stickier, softer one, whichever it is Razz ) and now the front end is absolutely planted.

Next upgrade for me is a Spank Spike Vibracore bar. Have one on the aforementioned Spesh, and it certainly does what it says it does (well, I think so).

Enjoy your new ride Smile

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 3:18 Quote
jsbone wrote:

I had teh Fox Factory 32 on my 15 Trance advanced 2 and found it pretty flexy. It was a good shock, but I guess I was too aggressive for it.

Upgrading the rear 135x5 to 142x12 is pretty easy. The parts are cheap for the frame mod. The new Axle/Maxle is the expensive part at around $60usd. The new hanger, and dropout adapters are $13.

The expensive more difficult part can be updating your hubs on your wheels to 142x12. Most hubs have kits, but depends on your hub.

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 8:10 Quote
Thnx guys...great info!

First thing is a 1x10 conversion.
Then ill see how the Nobby Nics perform. As well as the fox 32.
Most likely upgrade wheels/tires and do hub conversion.
But dont want to put cart ahead of the horse...lol.

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 9:33 Quote
jsbone wrote:
Thnx guys...great info!

First thing is a 1x10 conversion.
Then ill see how the Nobby Nics perform. As well as the fox 32.
Most likely upgrade wheels/tires and do hub conversion.
But dont want to put cart ahead of the horse...lol.

I have the same bike. First upgrade was the tires, swapped out for some Maxis High Roller in the rear and DHF in the front, both 2.3. then did a 1X10 conversion, pretty easy and cheap, helping the shifting quite a lot.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1'' 185 lbs, and push pretty hard, so I found the Fox 32 pretty inadequate, felt it needed to be pumped up to the point of overly harsh to get it to sit in the travel the way I wanted it too. Swapped that out recently for a slightly used 2015 Fox 36, which has transformed the bike, immediately went from feeling like I was out gunning the fork in rough terrain, to questioning if I ill ever have the skill to push the 36 the way it was meant to be pushed. Not a super expensive trade any way as I was able to get close to $250 when I sold the old 32, cutting down on the expense quite significantly. Here is my 2016 Trance 2 in its recent state of bike park enjoyment. (next upgrade is going to be a rear shock, then finally the wheel set, but I'll run those into the ground before I replace them)

photo

photo

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 9:48 Quote
Hi guys sorry to jump on here.. Hopefully a quick question, I have a 2014 trance 27.5
I have upgraded everything apart from the rear shock,
Changed over to xt cranks, brakes, rear mech
Reverb
Hope narrow wide
Sunrace 11-42 cassette
40mm stem wide bars
Hope hubs and rims
Hans dampf rear
magic Mary up front
RS Pike (got rid of that shocking over drive 2) very simple!!!
And a set of brendog flats
however I'm not sure how to tell what shock will fit etc ?
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017502
Mobile Version of Website