Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 14:07 Quote
He is buying a whole group set so chaining will be included.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
paperplane123 wrote:
Hoping someone can help with the following question, I have a 2014 Trance 3 which I am looking at upgrading to Shimano Xt 1x11. Could anybody tell me if I need to change my bottom bracket, according to Giant spec it is SRAM GXP Pressfit at the moment. Is there anything else I need to consider? Group set is currently on a really good offer in the UK

Yeah you'll need a hollowtech bottom bracket. SRAM ones have a 24mm ID on the drive side and 22mm non drive side. Shimano is 24mm on both so they dont play nice.

Shimano BB94 or M8000 will do the job, CRC stock both if that's where you're getting the gruppo. The old BB needs to be knocked out with a drift and new one pressed in with a tool.

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 3:51 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/sostokedaboutthat/buysell/

Guys & Gals

Selling my rear wheel if anyone interested. Easton Heist 27mm 12x142mm.

Only selling due to new boost trance frame,

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 at 14:04 Quote
Went into the giant store today to browse the new trances.. they look much nicer in person, damn!

I've never owned a carbon mountain bike (road and track bikes though yes)..but even though my budget is $4000..the Advanced 2 is beautiful and called my name!

My question is.. would you guys opt for the 1.5LTD with full XT and fox 34 performance but aluxx frame? Or spend the extra for the carbon frame and wheels, but lower end components on the Advanced 2?

$4399 is an awesome price what you get on the Advanced.. but it IS a bit over budget..

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 at 14:16 Quote
kthorpe wrote:
Went into the giant store today to browse the new trances.. they look much nicer in person, damn!

I've never owned a carbon mountain bike (road and track bikes though yes)..but even though my budget is $4000..the Advanced 2 is beautiful and called my name!

My question is.. would you guys opt for the 1.5LTD with full XT and fox 34 performance but aluxx frame? Or spend the extra for the carbon frame and wheels, but lower end components on the Advanced 2?

$4399 is an awesome price what you get on the Advanced.. but it IS a bit over budget..
Adv 2 if you're planning to upgrades anyway, but for the small weight penalty I'd be happy with AL frame and better parts.

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 at 14:25 Quote
brianl wrote:
kthorpe wrote:

Adv 2 if you're planning to upgrades anyway, but for the small weight penalty I'd be happy with AL frame and better parts.
I have a carbon glory. I love it but i worry I will wreck it. if your downtube sees lots of rocks being thrown up to ALU. I haven't damaged my 16 frame but I cringe every time anything hits it.

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 1:10 Quote
kthorpe wrote:

Unless your pro or mega rich I don't see the point in carbon frames/parts!weak and fragile and not much lighter than alu frames.for peace of mind for me alu all the way!I've recently seen alot of carbon frames go at the head tube and these were intense and trek frames.i would rather have an alu model bike,yes they're cheaper and are ripe for the upgrade

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 7:52 Quote
kthorpe wrote:

My question is.. would you guys opt for the 1.5 LTD with full XT and fox 34 performance but aluxx frame? Or spend the extra for the carbon frame and wheels, but lower end components on the Advanced 2?

I would certainly get the Trance Advanced 2. I looked at the specs and you're getting a 1x11, Sram GX spec (solid and reliable as far as I know). Besides, you're getting better suspension too. The shock on the Advanced 2 is a Deluxe RT, which is from what I've read the best shock without a reservoir. The LTD has a basic fox float. When it comes to the fork, you're getting a much much stiffer fork (Yari) with the Advanced 2. In my opinion it also has a better damper on it as well. It can also be upgraded into a Lyrik by putting a Charger Damper in there. If you want to upgrade the fork at any time, the Advanced 2 build will allow you to achieve what is arguably the best single crown fork for a fraction of the cost compared to if you upgraded the 1.5 LTD. The major components are better, plus the frame is stiffer and lighter. Sure it's a bit more, but you're getting so much more for your money. Not to mention carbon hoops make life a lot easier!

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 10:18 Quote
[/Quote]
Adv 2 if you're planning to upgrades anyway, but for the small weight penalty I'd be happy with AL frame and better parts.[/Quote]

I guess that's the thing, if I went with the 1.5, I would be able to do some upgrades down the road. With the Adv 2, being over budget I doubt I would be doing any upgrades anytime soon, aside from maintenance stuff.

Might be worth mentioning that I'd be ridding the trance on the more aggressive side of things. Was stuck deciding between reign and trance and have decided the trance is what's best, especially seeing that it doesn't have a problem getting gnarly sometimes

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
kthorpe wrote:
Adv 2 if you're planning to upgrades anyway, but for the small weight penalty I'd be happy with AL frame and better parts.[/Quote]

I guess that's the thing, if I went with the 1.5, I would be able to do some upgrades down the road. With the Adv 2, being over budget I doubt I would be doing any upgrades anytime soon, aside from maintenance stuff.

Might be worth mentioning that I'd be ridding the trance on the more aggressive side of things. Was stuck deciding between reign and trance and have decided the trance is what's best, especially seeing that it doesn't have a problem getting gnarly sometimes[/Quote]and pedals up way better. I would go 36 and DHX air when the current kit blows out

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 14:49 Quote
Pedals better only because it's lighter mind you. I went for reign because on gnarly stuff it transformed peter Parker into batman. Not sure if it's because of the geometry or the pike or the tubeless MM. Pedalling up crazy stuff is not difficult but not fast, it's heavy as and not as sharp with the steering but the trance is not sharp either. Just lighter.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 3:59 Quote
Advanced 2 also has the trx composite wheel system, which I've been reasonably impressed with, although im sure some scoff at them lol. 33mm outer and I think 27mm inner, hangs onto a 2.5 maxxis nicely.

I think those XC1s on the LTD are the older rim with like 21mm internal? I think they'd be a bit underwhelming on the bike and would be a priority to upgrade. That said if you're gonna beat the hell out of the thing you might be looking at aftermarket wheels anyway.

Rear shock on the LTD, as noted, is also a bit of a weak spot. Hard to say what the upgrade path might look like as I dont think anyone has released their trunion stuff for sale yet?

Admittedly i havent ridden a '17 aluxx but i notice the stiffness more than the lightness on the 17 carbon - although a lot of that may be the new frame design and the revised link.

As an aside, they dont offer either of these models in AU.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 7:54 Quote
What's drawing you to the 1.5 LTD aside from the price?

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
mshagg wrote:
Advanced 2 also has the trx composite wheel system, which I've been reasonably impressed with, although im sure some scoff at them lol. 33mm outer and I think 27mm inner, hangs onto a 2.5 maxxis nicely.

I think those XC1s on the LTD are the older rim with like 21mm internal? I think they'd be a bit underwhelming on the bike and would be a priority to upgrade. That said if you're gonna beat the hell out of the thing you might be looking at aftermarket wheels anyway.

Rear shock on the LTD, as noted, is also a bit of a weak spot. Hard to say what the upgrade path might look like as I dont think anyone has released their trunion stuff for sale yet?

Admittedly i havent ridden a '17 aluxx but i notice the stiffness more than the lightness on the 17 carbon - although a lot of that may be the new frame design and the revised link.

As an aside, they dont offer either of these models in AU.

Im hoping to buy a bike that i won't necessarily need to upgrade anytime soon..good info though, thanks!

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
SG-Mtn wrote:
What's drawing you to the 1.5 LTD aside from the price?

Well, spec for price is a big one. besides YT i havent really found any other bike under 4000 that can offer me that kind of groupset. My other idea was going for the trance 2 and upgrading the fork with the extra money, but i feel the fox 34 and full XT groupset is a pretty good upgrade over the rhythm and slx anyway.

if youre asking why the trance at all? looking for a great trail bike that can handle more aggressive terrain and the new trance seems to fit the bill quite well..spoke with the manager at the Giant store and he rides an Advanced 0 and rides everything i ride and more.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014519
Mobile Version of Website