Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 4:50 Quote
TIZZASPAIN wrote:
Baguslife wrote:
TIZZASPAIN wrote:
I bought Trance4, and I changed all components, and you can buy a 200*57 shock, to get 158mm of travel.

did you actually try that? did the rear end not touch the main frame?

I want to replace my shock (and the fork as well), but not sure if I should go for the 51 or 57 stroke?!

so far I am very happy with it - here a short review: Giant Trance 1 27.5 2014 Review

Monarch plus 200*57 run perfect. Mine is L size, but no problem with M size too.

Thanks man! Will get the debonair with 57mm stroke as soon as it gets out Smile
Which tune did you get? M/M ? I have quite a fast rebound setting on the float, the monarch M/M should be fine, tough, right?

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 6:59 Quote
Great info on the new trance 27.5 shock. Just blew my rear shock on my trance 27.5 (1) this week. Stumbled across this thread as I was looking for a replacement. I'm going to get the old one fixed but I really like the idea of trying a different shock. A bit more travel never hurt either. I'm not a fan of the CTD option since I'm not much for tossing switches while riding. I just want to ride fast and not worry about moving levers.

Anyway the new 200*57 shock is in the mail and once it's here I'll send this broken shock off to Fox ( the CTD knob (I don't use) and damp control knob came right out .... Along with the oil). Odd one.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 13:13 Quote
What tune did you go for on the rockshox monarch plus?!

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 14:42 Quote
Seigeman wrote:
Great info on the new trance 27.5 shock. Just blew my rear shock on my trance 27.5 (1) this week. Stumbled across this thread as I was looking for a replacement. I'm going to get the old one fixed but I really like the idea of trying a different shock. A bit more travel never hurt either. I'm not a fan of the CTD option since I'm not much for tossing switches while riding. I just want to ride fast and not worry about moving levers.

Anyway the new 200*57 shock is in the mail and once it's here I'll send this broken shock off to Fox ( the CTD knob (I don't use) and damp control knob came right out .... Along with the oil). Odd one.

Let us know how it goes after a few rides. I'm on the fence as far as getting the 57 stroke. Rear triangle spar to seat tube contact is what I'm concerned with during hard bottoming.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 5:21 Quote
Rlvinas wrote:
Seigeman wrote:

Let us know how it goes after a few rides. I'm on the fence as far as getting the 57 stroke. Rear triangle spar to seat tube contact is what I'm concerned with during hard bottoming.

Well - my experiment did not go well - I bought a older FOX DHX 5. (200x57) - New shock but a closeout obviously. The reservoir can hit the frame before I could reach full travel. I had to install some nylon washers to limit the travel after all. Ended up being a 200x51 before it was all over. The DHX 5 was a plush ride though. Got a great deal on it so I'll keep it as a backup since the Fox float broke once already. The good news is FOX did fix my shock for free and already shipped it back to me. I think the extra travel will work but if you get a reservoir can style shock you will have to make sure it won't hit the frame before you hit bottom. Float gets back tomorrow and I'm interested to see if it "feels" as plush as the DHX. Money no object I'd love to try the Float X but that's a bit of green to toss at the bike right now. Even with all the plushy feel of the DHX and it limited to 2" of travel I never bottomed out on my ride this weekend. Going to spend the $ on my 1x10 change on it instead.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 7:45 Quote
It has been quite some time since anyone posted here but I'll give this a go. How did the 200 x 57 conversion go for those of you who tried it? Obviously one has to use either the Fox CTD X or Monarch plus so that the Piggy back doesn't touch the frame. But for those who have upgraded, has the rear triangle touched the seat tube at all? I am keen to run the 200x57 instead of upgrading to get a 2015 Reign!!!Thanks in advance!

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
I'm in the same boat, just called my LBS and had them check the availability on a 200x57 Monarch Debonair (no piggy back). TIZZASPAIN posted some great pics and info. My biggest concern is a hard flat bottom where the rear triangle would flex and the spar strike the seat tube. From the pics, looks like not much more that 5mm clearance.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 22:08 Quote
Rlvinas wrote:
I'm in the same boat, just called my LBS and had them check the availability on a 200x57 Monarch Debonair (no piggy back). TIZZASPAIN posted some great pics and info. My biggest concern is a hard flat bottom where the rear triangle would flex and the spar strike the seat tube. From the pics, looks like not much more that 5mm clearance.

I did let all of the air out of my standard shock and got on the bike and kind of jumped around on it - not bunny hopping, but making sure that the shock stayed fully bottomed out, to see if there was any flex - very minimal, I am thinking of doing the same test with a solid piece of wood/metal in place of the shock (in its bottomed out 200x57 position) and filming with gopro to see if it flexes. The earlier guys on this thread seem to have had no issues though... Also chatting to some suspension gurus on our local forum in South Africa, they said that in all honesty, if you are bottoming out so hard that your frame is flexing, your shock setup is bloody horrendous, so im keen to give it a goBig Grin

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 at 8:19 Quote
Lol, cool thanks for the info. Ordered a debonair 200x57 last night!

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 at 9:15 Quote
Rlvinas wrote:
Lol, cool thanks for the info. Ordered a debonair 200x57 last night!

Which tune did you get? I have found one with Medium compression / low rebound. What do you think? There is mention earlier in the thread of a M/M.

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 at 12:39 Quote
Medium compression. I should have it on the 21st. I'm looking forward to see how the rear end reacts to the longer stroke and the larger volume air can. Hopefully the larger (wider) shock body doesn't strike the lower link at full compression. Fingers crossed.

Posted: Aug 14, 2014 at 2:32 Quote
Rlvinas wrote:
Medium compression. I should have it on the 21st. I'm looking forward to see how the rear end reacts to the longer stroke and the larger volume air can. Hopefully the larger (wider) shock body doesn't strike the lower link at full compression. Fingers crossed.

I have arranged to have the shock fitted and small trial before I buy. So i will document that and let you know. Also will be trying the Debonair/High volume 2015 Monarch Plus, i don't think it will contact anything because of the bigger can size. Will do this today or tomorrow and let you know ASAP. Also reports from another suspension tuning company that they have done the conversion to another trance and it is working flawlessly - so that is positive!

Posted: Aug 14, 2014 at 12:29 Quote
johnrraynor wrote:
Rlvinas wrote:

I have arranged to have the shock fitted and small trial before I buy. So i will document that and let you know. Also will be trying the Debonair/High volume 2015 Monarch Plus, i don't think it will contact anything because of the bigger can size. Will do this today or tomorrow and let you know ASAP. Also reports from another suspension tuning company that they have done the conversion to another trance and it is working flawlessly - so that is positive!

Awesome! Thanks for the info bro! Looking forward to your input.

Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 0:58 Quote
Rlvinas wrote:
johnrraynor wrote:
Rlvinas wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the info bro! Looking forward to your input.

OK. Clearance was not an issue. It was tight, i would say about 3.5/4mm - it was hard to take pictures whilst compressing! Mine was not the debonair but the high volume can. Once pumped up the ride was absolutely fantastic. Hit one drop of about 4ft to an almost flat landing and no signs of contact between front and rear triangle. But over normal jumps etc with the pressure i was running, i only reached +-53mm stroke. Great first ride impressions - definitely a worthy upgrade! Check out photos in my uploads

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016035
Mobile Version of Website