Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 7:46 Quote
Little update. Haven't used my Trance all winter, that was duty for another bike. For the 2015 season I upgraded to some Spank Oozy trail wheels.
Ready for the 2015 season

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 22:07 Quote
^^Looks nice^^. What weight have you gotten it down to?

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 1:44 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
^^Looks nice^^. What weight have you gotten it down to?
29 pounds. Stock bike is 31lbs, but I also built this to handle everything I could throw at it including bike parks. So dropping only two pounds doesn't seem like much, but I think it's pretty good for what it is. Having 2.4's, wider but slightly lighter wheels, and a longer travel fork and shock. I'd take the trade off Smile

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 9:59 Quote
Hi All, just got myself a trance, porting over parts from my other bike. Hit a problem.. looking for recommendation/ideas on how i should run my external cable dropper post?

ps... nope.. not getting an internal one for now.... Cry

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 11:37 Quote
Ussr wrote:
Hi All, just got myself a trance, porting over parts from my other bike. Hit a problem.. looking for recommendation/ideas on how i should run my external cable dropper post?

ps... nope.. not getting an internal one for now.... Cry
Since there are no cable guides, use zip ties?

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 20:09 Quote
brianl wrote:
Since there are no cable guides, use zip ties?

Am trying to avoid the cable tie route... its gonna be really ugly lol

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 21:16 Quote
You could pair your dropper cable with your brake cable or shifter cable using heat shrink. Or small black zip ties. Or you could use black wax lacing, or electrical tape. Really though an externally mounted dropper cable is not gonna win any beauty contests. Function over form, who really cares?

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 2:04 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
You could pair your dropper cable with your brake cable or shifter cable using heat shrink. Or small black zip ties. Or you could use black wax lacing, or electrical tape. Really though an externally mounted dropper cable is not gonna win any beauty contests. Function over form, who really cares?

My eyes. The Trance advance does not have external mounting routes. All internal. I'll post some pics later on the current route taken. lets see if its gonna snag.

Running it via internal and up from downtube.

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 12:50 Quote
Ussr wrote:
FuzzySockSucker wrote:

My eyes. The Trance advance does not have external mounting routes. All internal. I'll post some pics later on the current route taken. lets see if its gonna snag.

Running it via internal and up from downtube.

Ahhh, gotcha. Does your dropper cable mount to the post at the seat clamp area or up by the saddle rail clamps? Down by the clamp shouldn't be too bad. Should look pretty tidy. Up by the rail clamp might have a bit too much excess where it leaves the port on the down tube. If its up by the rails a small hose clamp mounted in the collar might keep it from snagging in your cranks when dropped.

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 at 8:57 Quote
I have had to run my dropper cable to the top tube as I cut it too short as it was on my old bike. I am running a single ring so it clips to the front mech guide. I have run the rear brake through the frame so if it was longer I would have tied it to the brake routing points.

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 at 8:59 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
Ahhh, gotcha. Does your dropper cable mount to the post at the seat clamp area or up by the saddle rail clamps? Down by the clamp shouldn't be too bad. Should look pretty tidy. Up by the rail clamp might have a bit too much excess where it leaves the port on the down tube. If its up by the rails a small hose clamp mounted in the collar might keep it from snagging in your cranks when dropped.

Its the one that goes on the rail clamps... its getting challenging. I've got it routed nicely but the min you drop the cable snags on the tyres..... Which means I can only drop 50ish mm for now.

Look at the kink on the cable hose. thats where it was caught.. I guess its time to go for internal routing..

External Dropper routing on Trance

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 at 9:51 Quote
Ouch! That sucks. Other than some heli tape to protect your frame and a zip tie or two I got nothing. Sorry. At least till you pick up an internal dropper.

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 2:42 Quote
Hi everyone,

So I ride a 2015 trance 1 and I was told by my local Giant dealer that a 150mm fork is the max this frame can take. Is this true? Anyone out there riding a 160mm on this bike? The staff at my LBS told me that the HTA between the regular trance and trance sx differs because the frames aren't identical, but aren't they in fact the same? I thought the difference in HTA was caused by fork travel differences between the two models using the same frame.

I'm planning to purchase a 150 or 140-160mm pike and 200x57 float x so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 3:42 Quote
This is my bike btw Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/surinkt/DSC_6694.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/surinkt/DSC_6699.jpg
All stock except for saddle, pedals, bar and stem. Cheers.

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 4:34 Quote
surinkt wrote:
Hi everyone,

So I ride a 2015 trance 1 and I was told by my local Giant dealer that a 150mm fork is the max this frame can take. Is this true? Anyone out there riding a 160mm on this bike? The staff at my LBS told me that the HTA between the regular trance and trance sx differs because the frames aren't identical, but aren't they in fact the same? I thought the difference in HTA was caused by fork travel differences between the two models using the same frame.

I'm planning to purchase a 150 or 140-160mm pike and 200x57 float x so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I may be wrong but I too work in a shop and every one here seems to think that the sx is the same frame just with a more gravity specific build, meaning I think that it definitely should be able to take a 160 fork. As for the 200x57 make sure you sag it more to achieve the same or similar bb height as the regular trance because a bigger fork will raise it a little bit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.106322
Mobile Version of Website