PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 12:33 Quote
photo
photo
photo
photo

built them about three month ago,
based on the trance adv 1 with a few changes...
X01 drivetrain
next sl cranks
guide rs brakes
p-trx-1c wheelset
DBinline
Rockshox pike 160 rct3
hans dampf
reverb stealth
sixc handlebar/turbine stem
11.8kg ready to ride!

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 19:40 Quote
GalShon wrote:
photo
photo

built them about three month ago,
based on the trance adv 1 with a few changes...
X01 drivetrain
next sl cranks
guide rs brakes
p-trx-1c wheelset
DBinline
Rockshox pike 160 rct3
hans dampf
reverb stealth
sixc handlebar/turbine stem
11.8kg ready to ride!

I like your choice of components, especially the fork and shock. My DBinline and pike are on its way by mail. How do you find the pike+DBinline combo?

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 22:23 Quote
[Quote="surinkt"]
GalShon wrote:
I like your choice of components, especially the fork and shock. My DBinline and pike are on its way by mail. How do you find the pike+DBinline combo?

first I must say that I started riding this bike after six month without riding due to a bad crash... getting better!
so, from my point of view I haven't put the shocks to a real test yet Smile
second, my first Inline (200X57) stoped working after 5 hour... so most of the time on those bike was with a rp23
the new shock (200X51) works good! but I haven't fine tuned it yet, thats happening next week.
all in all I like the combo, pretty sure I'll like it even better after fine tunning the inline

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 22:57 Quote
[Quote="GalShon"]
surinkt wrote:
GalShon wrote:

first I must say that I started riding this bike after six month without riding due to a bad crash... getting better!
so, from my point of view I haven't put the shocks to a real test yet Smile
second, my first Inline (200X57) stoped working after 5 hour... so most of the time on those bike was with a rp23
the new shock (200X51) works good! but I haven't fine tuned it yet, thats happening next week.
all in all I like the combo, pretty sure I'll like it even better after fine tunning the inline

sounds good. keep us posted!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 3:44 Quote
Looks great GalShon, is that in Israel?

I'm also on the DB Inline Pike Combo and it works great. I run a 57mm stroke Inline and 160mm Solo Air Pike on a 2014 Trance SX and luckily haven't run into any issues with the Inline.

My bike came stock with Fox Evolution suspension and while the Pike presents a huge jump in performance over the 34 Evo, I would say the Inline improved the bike to an even greater extent. For anyone who has enough cash left over and is still running the Evo shock the Inline is a great way to unlock the unused potential in the Trance's rear suspension.

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 8:12 Quote
Has anyone encounter issues or heard bad reports of the Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyre (comes standard on the 2015 Giant Trance 27.5 2).
I have torn my rear tyre and was wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues.

Also what tyres do you guys suggest. I am currently looking at the Maxxis High Roller 2.

Thanks

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 8:30 Quote
Robino113 wrote:
Has anyone encounter issues or heard bad reports of the Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyre (comes standard on the 2015 Giant Trance 27.5 2).
I have torn my rear tyre and was wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues.

Also what tyres do you guys suggest. I am currently looking at the Maxxis High Roller 2.

Thanks

Personal choice my 2014 trance had them on and didnt really like them right off the bat but stuck with them for a while now have changed to maxis ardent rear and high roller 2 front the difference is very obvious and in my opinion nobby nics are never to be back on a bike i own now or future really didnt like them but thats just my opinion

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 9:11 Quote
I have ardents and hr 2s and they are both good tires

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 10:35 Quote
I like my conti trail kings, 2.2 on the rear and 2.4 on the front. I hate the nics, my mates one tore after 2 rides

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 14:26 Quote
toop182 wrote:
I like my conti trail kings, 2.2 on the rear and 2.4 on the front. I hate the nics, my mates one tore after 2 rides
Mountain king II's for me, but only off the black chilli protection variety.
I did run 2.2 rear and 2.4 front but the 2.2 was porous and drinking sealant so switched to 2.4 in the rear and no problems what so ever, the black chilli rubber is something special.

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
New to this thread.. read the first bunch of pages and got very excited when I realised the Trance 27.5 frame can take a 160mm rear shock.

I got my 2015 Trance 3 a few weeks ago, so very happy with it so far. Have a couple of upgrades planned (which now includes a rear shock!) which include a fork change, wheel change and a 142x12mm rear.

The first thing I did was fit a 32t n/w chainring, love the fact it came with a clutch rear mech, even if it is just a Deore. I have also changed the brakes to a set of Deores I already had.

I am heading to the Alps in July, going to take the Trance as well as my DH bike - but would like to have sorted the wheels (I already have the dropouts and DT Swiss axle) and at least the forks. Thinking some Fox 34's, any other suggestions?

Quick question about the rear shock, not impressed with now little adjustment to Monarch R has as standard, I read the rear shock is 200mm eye to eye, and I'd need to get a shock with 200x57 stroke to get 160mm travel. Would something like this work? https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1756345/

Here is a pic of my bike on its first ride, before I changed to a single ring.

First pic of my Trance 3

Oh, and I rode it at Bike Park Wales today, struggled with punctures - one on every ride which was very frustraiting. Anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 15:37 Quote
Get your self a 40t or 42t extender cog first since your running a 32t nw ring and how's about a dropper post. Also 50mm stem and wide bars is a most on these bikes I would say.

For the forks seems like you like idea of fox but apart from the new 36's there are better forks from other manufacturers out there, those 350s are brill all depends what you want to spend. As far as the shock goes I would recommend a monarch debonair for the price they can be picked up. I use a tf tuned 2015 revelation matched to a 2015 monarch plus debonair and I i find it absolutely fab and makes for a light build.

Since your looking for a new wheelset go tubeless ready, ditch those cheap tyres that come standard and set some new ones up
tubeless that should solve the punctures but since you riding bike park wales go for around a 2.4 casing for plenty of volume.

I ride quite a few bike parks on my set up and find the bike spot on for what it's intented for everything apart from double black, don't get me wrong it would handle these fine but the Rev tends to wander a bit when it gets rough and fast, so makes it hard picking a line and staying on it.

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 16:27 Quote
Whyte rider, I wouldn't buy that shock, while it's probobly 57mm stroke it doesn't specify in the description. Probably though.. Also that's a great price but when upgrading I would really upgrade... Perhaps a used monarch debonair or plus they might be more but it's way worth it imo. Also sounds you are keen on fox stuff but I agree with Winston... I am a RS guy but I like the 350's and if you can find a used pike I hate to say what everyone else say, but it is awesome.

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 17:54 Quote
If I was shopping for a 27.5 fork, the Mattock would be high on my list.
What is your budget?

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 18:26 Quote
brianl wrote:
If I was shopping for a 27.5 fork, the Mattock would be high on my list.
What is your budget?
I second, price for proformance is unbeatable. I also think you can (internally) change the travel so if 150mm feels better then your all good for the future.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016031
Mobile Version of Website