Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 12:48 Quote
Rentaric wrote:
Mccooleet wrote:
Do you guys think that the new 2016 Fox Float X2 has enough clearance/compatible with the Trance? I have a medium frame '14 Trance and was thinking of upgrading the stock shock. Thanks

According to specs the 2016 SX comes with an X2. The picture shows a Float X though.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.sx.27.5/22207/84047/#specifications

Also check this pic: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/272/19022745193_84114b6dd2_k.jpg

I was looking at the X2 as well. I would really like to use that shock on mine as well. It looks doable since the air can is slimmed down near the eyelet.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
A question for those of you with coil shocks, did any of them fit straight in or did you have to file/machine/grind anything away to make them fit?

I much prefer a coil spring out back and it's about the only thing I'd change on this otherwise great bike.

Mine is currently at the bike shop waiting to be collected having had the 200 x 57 shock conversion, I'm now running X-Fusion front and back with 160mm Sweep forks and an O2 shock giving me whatever the 57mm stroke works out at (155mm?)....

....anyway longer term I'd be looking at a coil but don't really want to mess about bodging one to fit, if one just slots straight in that'd be awesome, even a crap one can be sent away to be custom tuned!

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 13:16 Quote
But the one on the picture is an '16 Sx and I have a '14 Trance 1, will it matter the model year?
xetal wrote:
Rentaric wrote:
Mccooleet wrote:
Do you guys think that the new 2016 Fox Float X2 has enough clearance/compatible with the Trance? I have a medium frame '14 Trance and was thinking of upgrading the stock shock. Thanks

According to specs the 2016 SX comes with an X2. The picture shows a Float X though.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.sx.27.5/22207/84047/#specifications

Also check this pic: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/272/19022745193_84114b6dd2_k.jpg

I was looking at the X2 as well. I would really like to use that shock on mine as well. It looks doable since the air can is slimmed down near the eyelet.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
Mccooleet wrote:
But the one on the picture is an '16 Sx and I have a '14 Trance 1, will it matter the model year?
xetal wrote:
Rentaric wrote:

Everything matters here. It looks to be a tight fit. I will go at the shop and try one myself. Let me get back to you.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 14:25 Quote
[Quote="Mccooleet"]But the one on the picture is an '16 Sx and I have a '14 Trance 1, will it matter the model year?

For 2014 Giant remodelled the trance to accommodate the 650B wheel size and to have its geometry updated. Every since, so this season and next, giant have used the same frame. So if a 2016 trance is pictured with an X2 then a 2014 trance will accommodate one as well. The only thing I would be worried about is frame size since the X2 is on the larger side.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 15:38 Quote
anyone tried running a fork with 170mm travel?

thanks

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 16:11 Quote
Mccooleet wrote:
xetal wrote:
Rentaric wrote:

As xetal said, it is the same frame with different colors since they brought the platform to 650b wheels. I don't know if there are any limitations regarding frame sizing/shock fitment, but knowing Giant, I don't think they have different shock models for different sizes.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 19:01 Quote
uk-hardtail wrote:
A question for those of you with coil shocks, did any of them fit straight in or did you have to file/machine/grind anything away to make them fit?

I much prefer a coil spring out back and it's about the only thing I'd change on this otherwise great bike.

Mine is currently at the bike shop waiting to be collected having had the 200 x 57 shock conversion, I'm now running X-Fusion front and back with 160mm Sweep forks and an O2 shock giving me whatever the 57mm stroke works out at (155mm?)....

....anyway longer term I'd be looking at a coil but don't really want to mess about bodging one to fit, if one just slots straight in that'd be awesome, even a crap one can be sent away to be custom tuned!

For my Fox Van RC to fit, I had to first install it with an offset bushing for the top eyelet and the Maestro linkage kind of ground itself down on the shock. After a few rides, I put in a normal bushing and now it fits perfect. I think the X-Fusion coil shock can fit without modification judging by pictures of it and possibly the new Fox X2.

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
The limitation around rear coil shocks comes down to the eyelet size. I did have a DB inline fitted which had a bush in the top to fit the upper linkage and the lower linkage 15mm bolt fits through the lower eyelet without and bushing.

To fit my Ccdb coil I had to get the lower eyelet drilled from 14.7 to 15.07 so the lower bolt fitted through. Cane Creek for some weird reason have different eyelet sizes on their shocks.

I have plenty of clearance between the downtube and external resovoir of the shock. Fox shocks already have 15.07 eyelets so should be fine as should rockshox.

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 5:11 Quote
bigtexuk wrote:
The limitation around rear coil shocks comes down to the eyelet size. I did have a DB inline fitted which had a bush in the top to fit the upper linkage and the lower linkage 15mm bolt fits through the lower eyelet without and bushing.

To fit my Ccdb coil I had to get the lower eyelet drilled from 14.7 to 15.07 so the lower bolt fitted through. Cane Creek for some weird reason have different eyelet sizes on their shocks.

I have plenty of clearance between the downtube and external resovoir of the shock. Fox shocks already have 15.07 eyelets so should be fine as should rockshox.

interesting! so that is why non of the other CC models wont fit i guess. Its their eyelet size without bushing and not really the fitment?
I am guessing based on what you said, theres not modification required on the frame or pivot eyelets then.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 5:44 Quote
Getting the Fox Float X2 tonight. I will keep you guys posted tomorrow on end results.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 18:56 Quote
xetal wrote:
Getting the Fox Float X2 tonight. I will keep you guys posted tomorrow on end results.

GOOD news it FITS !

I got the 7.875 X 2.0 version, By the amount of space left between the reservoir and the frame i can tell the 2.25 will also fit.

Fox Float X2 bottomed out on Giant Trance 2015 Large

The damping is amazing. Pretty sure i will dump in the volumes spacers tomorrow.

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 19:56 Quote
Awesome dude thanks a lot Xetal for the pictures

Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
Sweet upgrade! Anyone knows if a Vivid air fits?

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 18:09 Quote
xetal wrote:
xetal wrote:

GOOD news it FITS !

I got the 7.875 X 2.0 version, By the amount of space left between the reservoir and the frame i can tell the 2.25 will also fit.

The damping is amazing. Pretty sure i will dump in the volumes spacers tomorrow.

UPDATE !

The top linkage under load is too tight. It rubs a little and 1mm of it has to be filed for clearance.

Took me 2 min and i was back in business.

Trance

I did add all volume spacers to get a more progressive end of stroke,

It is damn tight and plush.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019868
Mobile Version of Website