Shorter shock length

PB Forum :: Beginners
Shorter shock length
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2013 at 22:10 Quote
I'm looking to buy a trek fuel for a do-it-all bike. I will be using it for some light DH, XC and a bit of Dirt Jump.

I'm wondering if I can install a shorter shock for DJ to drop the bb, and standover and also slacken the HEad angle
I'm also wondering if If I can put the 32 120\100 talas Cartridge(and ctd dampener) into a 36mm chassis.

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 at 22:48 Quote
In response to your Talas question, no. The diameters of the internals would be too small for the tubes (hard to keep things air-tight when you have a 2mm gap all around).

In response to your Frankenbike suggestion to muck with the geometry, I strongly recommend dropping the idea.

A solid 5-6" trail bike these days is efficient enough to run XC. Maybe not at a competitive level mind you, but enough to climb well and be nimble enough to motor. And will be burly enough to handle some decently rough downhill sections. Pretty much every bike company has something in this range these days.

Dirtjump is a different animal, and takes a very specific bike design. Lowering the shock will not turn a Trek Fuel into something even remotely qualified to be a dirt jumper. If you want a taste of dirt jumping and your budget is tight, maybe look for a used DJ specific bike to play around on.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 21:27 Quote
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I have $1000 to spend on a bike that has to do a little bit of XC and trail and can ride dirt jumps. I live in a downtown area with lots of stairs and concrete structures. I had a Specialized SX trail for a while and decided that it was too heavy and clumsy to ride xc and DJ

I was thinking of either a FR hardtail such as the transition trans AM or the Santa Cruz chameleon. I'm looking to buy a SM frame and build it up light so that I can throw it around.(I'm only 100 or so pounds) I also have seen the Specialized p. street, which might be a possible option b/c it's cheap and it seems to be built on one of those 'bulletproof' hardrock frames.

I might put a new fork and drivetrain on a p. street if i get one b/c the components aren't so great. I saw that you can get those Fox 32 floats off of competitive cyclist, but they have a tapered steerer. I know that you can buy new uppers from fox, but do you know how much they'll cost?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008070
Mobile Version of Website