Knee Problems

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 7:07 Quote
Hey all,

I'm looking for some suggestions for exercises/movements I can do to help speed up my recovery.

4 days ago I crashed pretty hard and smashed my left kneecap incredibly hard directly on a jagged rock.

It didn't pierce the skin or draw blood. Wasn't much of a bruise either.

Yet, its now 4 days later and I can barely put pressure on my left leg because my knee flares up immediately. Doing something as simple as pressing my left knee cap up against a well is extremely painful.. as in like 7/10 on the pain scale.

I know icing and advil is probably a good idea but does anyone else have any recommendations? Winter is coming and I'm trying to bike as much as possible and thats impossible right now with how bad my knee hurts... i actually tried to ride yesterday and only made it 5 miles before I had to pedal back with only my right leg...

Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 20:35 Quote
Still just as bad, I clearly damaged my knee at least moderately severely.. one or a few of my bursae are extremely inflamed as well... extremely angry as I literally can't ride and haven't for 2 days going on 3 and the weather has been great...

Posted: Nov 15, 2013 at 2:55 Quote
you need to let it recover, just ebiking for a while.

and go see a medic.

Posted: Nov 15, 2013 at 6:31 Quote
Awesome link, thanks. After reading through that It sounds like i sprained my MCL and probably tore my medial meniscus... and possibly more stuff based on all the symptoms lol... definitely didn't rupture my knee cap though, thats good.

Posted: Nov 15, 2013 at 7:02 Quote
get well soon buddy Salute

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 20:37 Quote
Where is the pain located? Do you have full range of motion (i.e., can you flex your knee to your buttocks)?

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 20:47 Quote
It has gotten better. I do have full range of motion and could easily run a mile right now at a very solid pace.

That being said, there is still a lingering pain. It is centralized on the pointiest part of my left knee cap. I have been able to bike and a few days ago when I was riding I bumped the part of my knee that hurts on my frame pretty hard and almost fell off my bike due to the pain.

Other than that incident its been perfectly fine over the past 3-4 days though, biked 18 miles of gnarly singletrack yesterday and it was all set. I'm normally pretty good with gauging injuries and I'm confident that Its nothing serious.

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 20:53 Quote
Gotcha. It doesn't sound like an MCL to me. Keep riding and make sure you stretch the quads to reduce the tension on the knee cap. Sometimes a sleeve or knee compression helps after riding...

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 21:18 Quote
Yeah definitely not MCL or ACL or anything long-lasting. I guess the initial pain caused me to exaggerate my diagnosis lol.

Thanks for the tips! I didn't actually realize until now that stretching quads reduces tension on knee cap. No wonder my knee is always feeling better immediately after stretching.

I'll give the sleeve a try Beer

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 at 18:15 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Yeah definitely not MCL or ACL or anything long-lasting. I guess the initial pain caused me to exaggerate my diagnosis lol.

Thanks for the tips! I didn't actually realize until now that stretching quads reduces tension on knee cap. No wonder my knee is always feeling better immediately after stretching.

I'll give the sleeve a try Beer

A few other tips that wont go astray;
- Use a foam roller to stretch out your ITB (basically your outer quad), this will also reduce stress on the kneecap.
- Ice it, although it might be a bit late now

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 12:03 Quote
Wall-Sit. Super basic exercise, time yourself and see how long you can go.
Builds up the knees and everything around em.

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 19:22 Quote
There is a product called traumeel that is a cream and works inawesome for pain and swelling. Get the cream not the gel.... helped me with pain after recovery of broken femur and hip.. I use it regularly on recovered smashed ankle, tibula and fibula. Salute

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012643
Mobile Version of Website