Marzocchi Lowering Thread. First Post Tells You How.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Marzocchi Lowering Thread. First Post Tells You How.
Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 21:10 Quote
TheLou94 wrote:
Hi guys, just rebuilt my 2007 DJ2 with some DJ4 lowers to replace the snapped DJ2 lowers. Replaced the seals and everything, and replaced the oil. Didn't have any 7.5wt oil so I used 10wt. And after looking on the Marzocchi website for oil levels I just saw that I should put "50" in each leg but no measurement. I put 50ml of 10wt oil in and 5psi of air in each leg and when I went for a ride today it was making a horrible clunking sound when it topped out. Do I need to put more oil in or is it a more serious problem? The fork seemed to plough through the travel easier than it used to which goes against physics considering I'm using thicker oil and the same amount of air as before and the rebound feels a bit like a pogo stick. Any help would be appreciated greatly! Smile

just turn your rebound dampening up. marzo's are always pogo sticks at full rebound

Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 20:18 Quote
TheLou94 wrote:
Hi guys, just rebuilt my 2007 DJ2 with some DJ4 lowers to replace the snapped DJ2 lowers. Replaced the seals and everything, and replaced the oil. Didn't have any 7.5wt oil so I used 10wt. And after looking on the Marzocchi website for oil levels I just saw that I should put "50" in each leg but no measurement. I put 50ml of 10wt oil in and 5psi of air in each leg and when I went for a ride today it was making a horrible clunking sound when it topped out. Do I need to put more oil in or is it a more serious problem? The fork seemed to plough through the travel easier than it used to which goes against physics considering I'm using thicker oil and the same amount of air as before and the rebound feels a bit like a pogo stick. Any help would be appreciated greatly! Smile
sounds like there isn't enough oil in there. try 175ml in each leg. that's what the marzo site says

Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 20:25 Quote
also if the oil that was in there was old chances are it was filled with dirt and shit that made the fork stickier and rebound slowerer.

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 3:57 Quote
Anybody got a visual rundown of how to convert your damper to open bath? My TST system keeps popping the seal ring off my sealed bath which obviously leads to a rebuild every other bloody week.

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 8:39 Quote
Did a little research and after googling various years of the DJ2 I came to the conclusion that mine is actually a 2005 model because it doesn't have the rebound adjustment and has the yellow springs inside. So after consulting the Marzocchi website to find out what's what I realised I had to put 185ml in each leg, not 50ml. So that seems to have fixed it and I used fresh oil because I have no idea how long the old oil had been in there before I rebuilt it (got it used for £50 from Ebay with not a great deal of info in the description...) Feels much better after taking it for a quick spin around town but we'll see how it holds up after the remnants of hurricane Gonzalo have passed over Britain. No way I'm hitting jumps in winds up to 70mph!

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
Hi guys, I'm currently looking into lowering 2014 55CRs to 110mm using fox travel spacers. I haven't bought the forks yet but plan to shortly! Has anyone else lowered them this way using the fox spacers? I'll be getting it done at my LBS but they told me that they weren't sure its possible!
I've asked someone who has lowered the same model to 90mm using this method and he said the travel spacers needed drilling so they would fit. What size should I drill them to, to fit the 55s?
Thanks Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 11:40 Quote
the problem with fox spacers even in fox forks is that they shatter, shift and pop off the air piston. id use machined delrin or aluminum spacers(with no gap) if you have access to a lathe or have some one to machine them for you. short of that thick wall PVC pipe is the next best option

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 13:06 Quote
I used a PVC pipe joint, filed out the inside smooth so it just slid on, super thick and works like a champ! They also come in 40mm lengths

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 13:43 Quote
As far as it know, you can't use fox spacers. Every marzocchi I've lowered uses a large diameter spacer. There is no rod for the fox spacers to snap on to.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 10:42 Quote
I've got some pvc pipe what's about 20mm diameter, will this be wide enough? If so should I use the marzocchi 20mm spacer and 40mm of pipe or would it be best to use just 60mm of pipe?

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 4:32 Quote
kaijwc wrote:
I've got some pvc pipe what's about 20mm diameter, will this be wide enough? If so should I use the marzocchi 20mm spacer and 40mm of pipe or would it be best to use just 60mm of pipe?

I'd have though a single piece is going to better if strength is a question

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 4:50 Quote
all the parts are under pressure and load all the time, so as long as they "lock together" (ie dont shift and wobble) it should be fine.

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 9:30 Quote
can I lower a dc shiver to around 150-160mm

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 11:07 Quote
Don't see the use tbh, just buy a newer 150-160mm fork, the Dc shiver is close to 8 pounds iirc

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014674
Mobile Version of Website