Marzocchi Lowering Thread. First Post Tells You How.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Marzocchi Lowering Thread. First Post Tells You How.
Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 9:40 Quote
hello folks,new to the thread. my son bought a used kona cowan Dj, and i noticed that the travel on the DJ2 was limited to 1.5".
i have no experience with marzocchi,so im posting here. does anyone have/had this problem,and outside of taking it to marz' is there a fix?

Thx
Brian

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 10:11 Quote
goytay wrote:
hello folks,new to the thread. my son bought a used kona cowan Dj, and i noticed that the travel on the DJ2 was limited to 1.5".
i have no experience with marzocchi,so im posting here. does anyone have/had this problem,and outside of taking it to marz' is there a fix?

Thx
Brian

The rebound cartridge is messed up. It has failed internally and is no traveling through its entire stroke. You can always do the Open Bath mod. which instructions on how to do it are on here on PB somewhere.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 10:24 Quote
BSal wrote:
goytay wrote:

Thx
Brian

The rebound cartridge is messed up. It has failed internally and is no traveling through its entire stroke. You can always do the Open Bath mod. which instructions on how to do it are on here on PB somewhere.

damn!, thx i'll look into that open bath thing.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 11:50 Quote
And worse comes to worse it is a warranty issue so if you can find a shop who deals with marzo they should be able to get it fixed for you if you aren't confident in doing it yoursf

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:54 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
And worse comes to worse it is a warranty issue so if you can find a shop who deals with marzo they should be able to get it fixed for you if you aren't confident in doing it yoursf

yea called marz',no biggie,they will convert to fork to open bath for 70$.i'll ask about the warranty thing although being 6 yearold forks doubt thwy'll cover.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 13:28 Quote
Oh ride I always forget how old those were lol

Posted: Dec 13, 2014 at 9:20 Quote
So I lowered my 2015 CR Slope to 100mm. Literally took me 30 minutes.
Removed the lowers and the air piston after removing the snap clip.
Lowers off the 55 Slope and air piston removed for lowering. Took 30 minutes.
Added a third (two in pic) spacer to the spring assembly.
Lowering the 55 Slope to 100mm. There are already 2 20mm spacers in there. Added one more to get it to 100mm.
Re-assembled showing 105mm of tube with 115 psi in spring.
Lowering the 55 Slope. About 105mm of tube showing.

Posted: Dec 13, 2014 at 14:54 Quote
BSal wrote:
So I lowered my 2015 CR Slope to 100mm. Literally took me 30 minutes.
Removed the lowers and the air piston after removing the snap clip.
Lowers off the 55 Slope and air piston removed for lowering. Took 30 minutes.
Added a third (two in pic) spacer to the spring assembly.
Lowering the 55 Slope to 100mm. There are already 2 20mm spacers in there. Added one more to get it to 100mm.
Re-assembled showing 105mm of tube with 115 psi in spring.
Lowering the 55 Slope. About 105mm of tube showing.
could you not have just taken the top cap off and removed the airspring out the top? that way you wouldnt have to remove the lowers. (ie. same way you lower a fox 36)

Posted: Dec 13, 2014 at 14:57 Quote
I didn't want to try that. When i called Marzocchi they said do it by removing the lowers. Seems like if you had to push the piston up you may scratch the piston wall, an you need a long skinny rod. It took me 30 minutes to do.

Posted: Dec 13, 2014 at 22:03 Quote
The piston also likely has to be bolted up from the bottom. So if you have to pull bolts off and lose oil you may as well pull the lowers

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 11:45 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
The piston also likely has to be bolted up from the bottom. So if you have to pull bolts off and lose oil you may as well pull the lowers
but is it not the exact same "style" air piston as a fox 36? and everyone lowers it that way (out the top)

- loosen bottom and drain oil
- remove top cap and air piston
- install spacers
- air piston back in and fill oil from bottom
- tighten footnut, install topcap, add air

just an idea and its way less effort (nobody scratches piston walls) and you wont need to mess with the snap clip

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 11:50 Quote
for most marzo's specially the open bath models the piston gets fastened via the foot nut, and the way the lower seal works it will just fall off in the lower cause of the c-clip. making it so you have to pull the lowers off to get that part so you can put it all back together any way.

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 21:46 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
for most marzo's specially the open bath models the piston gets fastened via the foot nut, and the way the lower seal works it will just fall off in the lower cause of the c-clip. making it so you have to pull the lowers off to get that part so you can put it all back together any way.
yeah my old 2008 DJ2 was like that. but this new one is totally different

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 21:48 Quote
Oh really. Hmm want to see all the insides myself. Going away from suspension forks for my own riding for the time being spending more time riding street and skate parks than I am at any jumps and the ones I do spend time at are usually mint as f*ck

Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 2:04 Quote
How easy is it to lower 2008 marizocchi 55r ? I've lowered argyles in the past and found it easy,want to lower them from 160 to 100

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.131190
Mobile Version of Website