Ruptured Discs and Riding

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Ruptured Discs and Riding
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 1, 2013 at 5:08 Quote
Hello. I am new to this forum and have been recently diagnosed having an S1 Disc Rupture. This is causing my lower left leg and foot to be numb. I am trying to have it "heal" without surgery. I am just wondering if people have run into problems riding with disc problems and how they were able to still ride? I started endurance racing last year and I want to be able to race again.

Posted: Jan 11, 2014 at 13:12 Quote
My mate has a ruptured disc and sometimes the soft gooey stuff that should stay in the disc comes out and presses on his nerve basically putting anything below the belt useless and everything above sever pain. He rides a hardtail at our local trail centre ( llandegla ) he rides perfectly fine and only complains if he gets abit sketchy trying to get the bike out of a situation or a big off. Endurance is not his strong point though, maybe an hours solid riding then a little rest with a quick rub/massage and then off again (10min). I doubt you'd be able to race at the level you want but just enjoy the ride like my mate does. He said when he gets a full sus frame that his riding time should double. Hope this helps.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2014 at 15:44 Quote
I had a ruptured disc about a year ago. I had an extreme case and had to get the surgery. My sciatica was being pinched so bad and it was causing nerve damage. Some of the worst pain of my life, barely slept for a month. The good news is once I had the surgery the pain began to succeed. I started riding about 4-5 months after the surgery. It was humbling at first and I had gained weight and was out of shape. The more riding I did the better I felt. I could only ride a FS bike now though. I would say it took a little over a year and I was riding as good as I was before. I still experience a little numbness in my foot but way better than it was. Riding helps because it keeps the blood flowing and helps the healing process, any exercise for that matter. My doctor and PT told me better to stay active and stay strong(core especially) than to sit around and do nothing. That just makes it worse. I had lost alot of muscle in my leg so I think thats why it took so long, and i'm 43. I think if you talk to a PT and your Doctor you can stay ahead of it. Good luck. Hope this helps. I'm no Doctor, just sharing my experience.
Cook

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018626
Mobile Version of Website