Ulna collateral ligament rapture AKA gamekeepers thumb. Any advices?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Ulna collateral ligament rapture AKA gamekeepers thumb. Any advices?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 28, 2013 at 1:47 Quote
Hi Guys,

Having trouble typing so will paste what happened from another source I wrote recently, but basically got my thumb ligament ripped of. Will have an appointment with surgeon on 31st of Dec and now I'm in the cast until then. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice if they had a similar situation. Not sure what advice could be but I really want passive treatment (avoid surgery). Thanks!

Pasting:
"Had super amazing day riding in Aston Hill Bike Park. Was super slippery due to weather conditions - only properly rideable track was Surface To Air, but we tried few other tracks as well. Had lot's of fun and it would be great to come back to Aston Hill Bike Park sometime when it's not so wet. I definitely recommend to visit this bike park.

In the end I did have enough speed and clipped the start of landing area with my rear wheel. Rear wheel did not get the grip back on time and I lost the control. Crash really hard, was not able to ride after that. Got few big bruises and got quite big impact on my right hand thumb.

Outcome so far:
Ulna collateral ligament rapture AKA gamekeepers thumb. Very popular skiers injury, haha

Will have appointment before next year to decide further treatment."

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 4:53 Quote
Did a little research on my own for now.

Sometimes surgery is required to fix raptured ligament, but this is not very likely. And for healing proper healthy food and good rest is important. Will post some more stuff after I will have tomorrow appointment with surgeon.

I am sure this information will be helpful for other at some point.

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 13:54 Quote
I did the same August bank holiday weekend, if it's snapped it will either be in middle or along ligament, or away from bone. In my case it was away from bone and pinged around a tendon. The only option was surgery. Operation was a week after injury, and opened up thumb via 3" incision. Small screw (2mm & perm) and repair job followed by 4 weeks in plaster and further *8* weeks recovery.

First day back out on bike today for me - no problems, in theory should be full strength, however took it easy for now for fear of landing hard on it.

Good luck with recovery bro

Posted: Jan 6, 2014 at 14:08 Quote
bigsoups wrote:
I did the same August....>

Thanks! And thanks for taking time to share your story. Very useful to know.

Apparently ripped off piece of bone where ligament was attached too. Obviously had a surgery to fix that. Screwed piece of bone back. Had fun watching as got local anaesthesia.
Will see the doctor this Friday, but was promised to have full thumb power in three months.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009765
Mobile Version of Website