CAD/3D Printing

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
CAD/3D Printing
Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 20:43 Quote
mtnbkrforlife wrote:
I did that in AutoCAD. This is my first year taking an engineering course in school so I'm just getting the hang of advanced engineering programs. I'm not quite sure what the printing software or printer is but my teacher said it was a $20k machine. I can probably find out next week if you'd like to know. We've printed some pretty cool stuff with it like a fully operational wrench, a detailed skull and arm/hand, a glider that flies, etc.

I've been looking for another 3D modeling program that would be better for designing frames with weird curvature and stuff. Can I get rhino free or for a discount if I'm a student? I'd like to try some other programs.

What do you think the best AutoDesk program would be for that kind of thing? I'm wondering if I can get some other Autodesk programs for free too. My teacher showed us how to get AutoCAD at home for free but I find it to be a struggle when designing complex 3D objects. It must've taken me a good 12 hours just to design that Glory haha

And I'm still waiting for the OK from my teacher to print the Glory. The 3D printer was having problems the last time I checked but it should be fixed now. He's allowing me to bump the scale up so instead of it being 4.5 inches in length total it'll be about 11.25. I'm pumped!

That's pretty good for AutoCAD. I feel like the majority of the industry for engineering uses solid works but I don't know. I'm in architecture so I use revit and rhino. Rhino you can get discounted as a student. Autodesk doesn't really have anything great for 3d as far as my preferences are concerned, but you can get them all for free with a student discount.

In school we had 3 makerbots and a 3d uprint which was awesome. Makerbots are cool but the lower end models aren't super precise

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 10:00 Quote
Thanks man! It took a lot of patience for sure haha. We're just starting architecture in my class. Revit is pretty cool and we started model building too which is kinda fun. I'll have to look into rhino.

Just like computers I'm sure 3D printers will go down in price in a few years when the technology gets better. It seems like the next big thing for engineers of all kinds. I was watching videos on 3D printers capable of printing edible stuff and I've heard of one trying to print human organs. It's crazy stuff

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 10:17 Quote
3D printers are just amazing, would be worth if I get solid works? I would start learning on my own
Probably not the best part to ask but can a bike rim be make by CNC..?

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 10:44 Quote
I'm sure you probably could CNC a rim, but it definitely isn't your best option.

I seriously think 3D printers will drop in price a lot. Back in the early 2000's my buddies dad was showing me some 3D printed parts from his work off a 20k$ printer. That same printer is like 5 grand now. I was thinking of splitting the cost of a 3d printer with a coworker. Would end up being about 900 a piece. It should be pretty cool to see the technology progress.

Have you guys seen the 3D concrete printer? It printed a full scale house in 24 hours

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 12:40 Quote
What?! That's crazy! That 3D printed bike is pretty cool. I wonder how it holds up

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 at 11:47 Quote
Just to get an idea of the size here's the wheel for my 3D printed glory.

3D printed wheel for my 3D printed Giant Glory project

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 23:36 Quote
SolidWorks is used more and easily better for solid modeling than programs like AutoCAD. If any of you are into programming, try looking up OpenSCAD. It's a modeling software where you write a code to model things (it's also free).

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 4:12 Quote
I got AutoCAD and inventor and guys they are hard to use, I will wait to solidworks

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 14:33 Quote
Finished my Glory project today. Came out good!

My 3D printed Giant Glory
My 3D printed Giant Glory

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 18:41 Quote
Dude looks really nice

In other note for the first class of introduction to mechanical engineering I need to build a catapult haha

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 19:50 Quote
What printer was the Glory printed on? The print quality is exceptionally high for the amount of overhanging features you have

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 20:27 Quote
Thanks! Catapults are always fun haha.

I can find out next week what the exact printer make is since I'm not sure. It was an expensive machine though

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 21:18 Quote
taquitos wrote:
SolidWorks is used more and easily better for solid modeling than programs like AutoCAD. If any of you are into programming, try looking up OpenSCAD. It's a modeling software where you write a code to model things (it's also free).

Sounds kinda like grasshopper

Posted: May 8, 2014 at 3:48 Quote
AutoCAD works fine in 3D printing for engineering and architectural designs. CAD filing and Sketchup (for details) are actually some software which my brother used for his prototype mini bike. He bought Nylon filament from 3D2print for 3D printing bike parts and hopefully he’ll start working with titanium soon.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2014 at 18:25 Quote
Autodesk (makers of AutoCAD) are based about 4 miles from my house but I don't like any of their products...as an engineering student I can tell you that Solidworks is by far the most used program in the industry, Sketchup isn't really a CAD software and AutoCAD hasn't been updated for about a decade. Solidworks is a $2000+ suite of software though and overkill for modeling bike parts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019319
Mobile Version of Website