CAD/3D Printing

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
CAD/3D Printing
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2014 at 23:32 Quote
chrisclifford wrote:
Autodesk (makers of AutoCAD) are based about 4 miles from my house but I don't like any of their products...as an engineering student I can tell you that Solidworks is by far the most used program in the industry, Sketchup isn't really a CAD software and AutoCAD hasn't been updated for about a decade. Solidworks is a $2000+ suite of software though and overkill for modeling bike parts

Not to be rude, but living near autodesk doesn't really make you an aficionado on it. Solid works is great, but as a draftsman in an architecture firm I can tell you that every one of our consultants (structural, electrical, mech/plumbing) and our firm all use AutoCAD. I would say revit is more the future but you've got to be stuck on crazy if you think that AutoCAD is an inferior product. Oh and as for sketch up... The people who bag on sketch up the most are usually the ones who don't know how to use it to its fullest potential. Just sayin...

I really really don't mean to call you out man, and I don't know what kind of engineering student you are (so solidworks may be the most widely used in your niche) but maybe try approaching your "discussions" in a more humble manner. Cuz honestly I think there are a few people I'm this thread (myself included) that would like to know a lot more about all of these programs (for the record, I don't really know solid works much but would love to try it someday).

Cheers

Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 3:14 Quote
kev211 wrote:
Not to be rude, but living near autodesk doesn't really make you an aficionado on it. Solid works is great, but as a draftsman in an architecture firm I can tell you that every one of our consultants (structural, electrical, mech/plumbing) and our firm all use AutoCAD. I would say revit is more the future but you've got to be stuck on crazy if you think that AutoCAD is an inferior product. Oh and as for sketch up... The people who bag on sketch up the most are usually the ones who don't know how to use it to its fullest potential. Just sayin...

I really really don't mean to call you out man, and I don't know what kind of engineering student you are (so solidworks may be the most widely used in your niche) but maybe try approaching your "discussions" in a more humble manner. Cuz honestly I think there are a few people I'm this thread (myself included) that would like to know a lot more about all of these programs (for the record, I don't really know solid works much but would love to try it someday).

Cheers

Not that I mean to call you out, but as a draftsman for an ARCHITECTURE firm I would say you probably don't know much about modeling solids. AutoCAD and Revit are the direction the construction industry is going because they are good for modeling entire buildings. Your mechanical consultants might use AutoCAD because you do, but I can guarantee you that the company actually designing the products installed in buildings don't. 3D printing is currently most closely associated with mechanical engineering. In the world of mechanical engineering both are definitely inferior to SolidWorks, Catia, and Pro E. Those are the three programs that get things done for most ME companies. They are far better at modeling more complex geometries because that is what they are made for and this makes them better for 3D printing. Don't even get me started on Sketchup... This is a forum on 3D printing and in the world of 3D printing there are better programs than AutoCAD and Revit, so I'd suggest you get over yourself and humble up as well before saying anything else.

I do agree that proximity to Autodesk HQ doesn't make you an expert, though haha. I also think that as a student mr. chrisclifford probably doesn't have the greatest sense of what the industry uses. And for actually modeling bike parts SolidWorks is not overkill because you can run FEA in it.

Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 8:17 Quote
taquitos wrote:
kev211 wrote:

Cheers

Not that I mean to call you out, but as a draftsman for an ARCHITECTURE firm I would say you probably don't know much about modeling solids. AutoCAD and Revit are the direction the construction industry is going because they are good for modeling entire buildings. Your mechanical consultants might use AutoCAD because you do, but I can guarantee you that the company actually designing the products installed in buildings don't. 3D printing is currently most closely associated with mechanical engineering. In the world of mechanical engineering both are definitely inferior to SolidWorks, Catia, and Pro E. Those are the three programs that get things done for most ME companies. They are far better at modeling more complex geometries because that is what they are made for and this makes them better for 3D printing. Don't even get me started on Sketchup... This is a forum on 3D printing and in the world of 3D printing there are better programs than AutoCAD and Revit, so I'd suggest you get over yourself and humble up as well before saying anything else.

I do agree that proximity to Autodesk HQ doesn't make you an expert, though haha. I also think that as a student mr. chrisclifford probably doesn't have the greatest sense of what the industry uses. And for actually modeling bike parts SolidWorks is not overkill because you can run FEA in it.

Damn dude. I said I had no issues with solidworks. Whatsoever. So, seems pretty humbled to me. But what do I know. I'm sure most of the industry designing components and such for buildings, cars, etc. does use solid works. My friend uses it all the time for his job. I was just saying that AutoCAD is still very relevant as is revit and the rest. Yes, sketchup probably isn't the best for 3D but we were discussing 3d programs on the whole. And yes, solid works is the best 3D modeling tool for solids and 3D printing, but again we were discussing different options. I used rhino all the time in school for 3D printing though. I didnt mean to come across sounding rude or act like I knew more than everyone. I was just making a statement that there are a lot of programs worth trying. I'm not a product rep for any of these so I don't give a damn what anyone uses. I just think that the guys getting into 3D modeling on this thread might want to know about a good majority of the programs out there.

And hey, at least I didnt talk up archicad haha Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 8:58 Quote
I wasn't trying to be cocky or claim to be an expert, I'm a student after all. My impression is that AutoCAD is better for drafting and Solidworks is a 3D fabrications program. I am not an AutoCAD expert, but you're an architect and I'm a mechanical engineer so I did not mean to claim expertise in your field or even mine. Most mechanical engineers use Solidworks is what I meant to say

Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 9:04 Quote
No worries bro. I honestly didnt mean to call you out. Rough day at the office I guess haha. And I was only on my first beer. I need to get solid works and give her a whirl. I taught my buddy rhino so maybe I can get him to teach me solid works. I'm like one mistaken click away from ordering a 3D printer and wouldn't mind trying making the same model in a bunch of programs. Where are you studying M.E.?

Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 9:16 Quote
Other mechanical engineer student here, first year at UCR

Posted: Oct 7, 2014 at 2:23 Quote
Does anybody have a Kona Stinky 3D frame model? (Especially 2009 model could be the best.)
I would like to write my robotic dissertation in this topic. My idea is a frame welding robot cell, and I need a model.

Thank you 4 your help!

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 15:50 Quote
Any particular 3D software? You might be able to find it on www.grabcad.com

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017206
Mobile Version of Website