what do you do for a living?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
what do you do for a living?
Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 14:49 Quote
You shouldn't call yourself fat like that. Especially when you're depressed.

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 14:54 Quote
Creegz wrote:
You shouldn't call yourself fat like that. Especially when you're depressed.
haha.
Quarter life crisis man.

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 16:38 Quote
laynehip wrote:
Work in an office as a "Procurement Officer".
Want to jump out of a window.

Is that like a bill collector?

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 17:53 Quote
Urbaniste wrote:
laynehip wrote:
Work in an office as a "Procurement Officer".
Want to jump out of a window.

Is that like a bill collector?
No, basically I help facilitate the purchasing of mostly services and consulting work for business units within the corporation.
So if for example, Communications is looking to hire an advertising firm to come in and evaluate the brand and do commercials, change the name, etc. I go through the process of helping to select potential suppliers and doing competitions for the work, so the potential suppliers will send in proposals, I will help evaluate the proposals and be present for when they come in for presentations for stuff and then help manage the contract.

I guess it's fine but right now (and maybe its just the 8 month long, arctic wasteland prairie winters) I just feel over everything.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2015 at 0:44 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
Cladding and siding. Lead hand at the moment, next step, junior foreman and then senior foreman.

How do you like it? I HATED siding with a passion. I did it for 7 years. Got into it right after high school. Had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Working outside in the cold and rain soaking wet. Silica dust from hardie. Wearing a harness and tool belt all day. It's hard on the body. I am now a heavy equipment operator. I spend my days sipping coffee in a nice warm heated/air conditioned cab listening to satellite radio all day. It's great. I'm also making more money as an entry level excavator/rock truck operator than I ever did as a siding foreman.

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 at 19:44 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Bmxerch wrote:
Cladding and siding. Lead hand at the moment, next step, junior foreman and then senior foreman.

How do you like it? I HATED siding with a passion. I did it for 7 years. Got into it right after high school. Had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Working outside in the cold and rain soaking wet. Silica dust from hardie. Wearing a harness and tool belt all day. It's hard on the body. I am now a heavy equipment operator. I spend my days sipping coffee in a nice warm heated/air conditioned cab listening to satellite radio all day. It's great. I'm also making more money as an entry level excavator/rock truck operator than I ever did as a siding foreman.

It's decent. I'm more experienced as an ACM panel guy but I'm being put on hardie jobs to help out and what not.

Hardie is bullshit, I will say that right off the bat. It's pretty, yes. But the amount of toxic dust it produces when cutting, how fragile and brittle it is, just pisses me off. I come from a Canada wide company to edmonton local company, get a lot more recognition of skill from it too.

ACM panels are my shit. It's why I was hired, myself and another semi experienced kid brought a job from two months behind schedule to three weeks ahead of schedule in the timespan of 9 days. Something I really enjoy doing. That and flashing/soffit paneling, I enjoy using my head to be specially and directionally aware so..

But... They put me on hardie jobs and I'm not exactly happy about it, may be going pipe fitting though so during Christmas layoffs and between jobs I would come back and help with panels if they want me to. Kind of have a good rep here so I'm trying not to spoil it. Just hate hardie with a vengeance. Always will.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 20:59 Quote
summers I own a small business doin eavestrough, siding fascia soffit aluminum window and door capping, chimney flashing roofing etc.

then the winters I work part time at a hotrod/muscle car/ car restoration shop. its a fun place to work, I do disassembly and assembly of the cars when they come in and assemble before they leave. I also do most of the sandblasting, which sucks... and so does taking apart cars. last one was a 72 chevelle canadian car. moldy and rusty fun!

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 1:44 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Bmxerch wrote:

It's decent. I'm more experienced as an ACM panel guy but I'm being put on hardie jobs to help out and what not.

Hardie is bullshit, I will say that right off the bat. It's pretty, yes. But the amount of toxic dust it produces when cutting, how fragile and brittle it is, just pisses me off. I come from a Canada wide company to edmonton local company, get a lot more recognition of skill from it too.

ACM panels are my shit. It's why I was hired, myself and another semi experienced kid brought a job from two months behind schedule to three weeks ahead of schedule in the timespan of 9 days. Something I really enjoy doing. That and flashing/soffit paneling, I enjoy using my head to be specially and directionally aware so..

But... They put me on hardie jobs and I'm not exactly happy about it, may be going pipe fitting though so during Christmas layoffs and between jobs I would come back and help with panels if they want me to. Kind of have a good rep here so I'm trying not to spoil it. Just hate hardie with a vengeance. Always will.

Hardie is dangerous. I was wearing long sleeves and a respirator for my full shift. But Hardie is also where the money is at. Before the economy collapsed I was getting paid by piece work. It was common to pull in $300 to $500 per day installing Hardie panel.

My strongest area was vinyl siding. I could do a 3 story wall in one day by myself with just my hand tools and a man lift. Super easy and fast. I also enjoyed custom wood trims.

Don't do siding for your career. I'm assuming you're young. It's very labour intensive. I'm 27 awith a bad back and wrist from carpel tunnel. I also got tennis elbow from holding the nail gun all day. That's why I got out. Siding is a job not a career.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 9:42 Quote
That depends, I'm aiming for a sales rep/managerial position down the road. ACM panels aren't labour intensive except when we pull them out of crates.

This hardie thing is a one time gig aswell. We have several crews for hardie alone and they're all rough looking bastards. Don't want to end up like that.

But, if all goes well in march I will be pipe fitting with one of my buddies.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 10:13 Quote
Pipe fitting is labour intensive as well

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 10:54 Quote
Pipe fitting is nowhere near labour intensive as siding. My buddy does it for a career. Good pay, he loves it. He's making $32 per hour.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 12:33 Quote
You poor cluless bastard.
I'm also a pipe fitter.
If your buddy says its not labour intense he's running small pipe.
There's a reason 90% of pipe fitters are big dudes
All siding is light compared to steel pipe start lifting 20 foot lengths of 2/4/6" steel and tell me how labour intensive vinyl and Hardie is.
That said you will make more money than siding.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 12:42 Quote
Yeah. I know a handful of pipe fitters. That's a difficult job. I've tried helping them with things and it's f*cking tough haha.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 14:09 Quote
I'll add to that. After I finished my weldin ticket and did my little summer job at the bike shop I am now well into a pipe fitting apprenticeship. Any steel gabricating job is pretty high up there on the "labour intensive" scale. All steel is heavy, and a lot of jobs require lifting in shitty positions. Not to mention the power required to use many hand tools in the steel trade. Go pull 7 or 800 ft lb's on a manual torque wrench for an 11 hour shift and see how you feel about the lazy feller that said its not a demanding job, but make sure you do that after you pull a thousand pounds of studs and nuts up 4 flights of scaffold by rope.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027323
Mobile Version of Website