Decision Time - Avid vs Shimano, 29er vs 26er, Specialized Stumpy vs Giant Reign

PB Forum :: Beginners
Decision Time - Avid vs Shimano, 29er vs 26er, Specialized Stumpy vs Giant Reign
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 8:28 Quote
Hey folks! I'm that kind of guy that likes to over think the sh*t out of decisions...so I've been mauling over this decision for a while now! I need your help...

I'm looking to get back in the sport in a big way. I haven't rode for nearly a decade and even back then I wasn't too serious. I started taking my Gary Fisher out last year and I love it. Problem is I want more than my 1990's hardtail can offer! I'm a novice rider, intermediate at best, who enjoys cross country, trail, and downhill riding. I'm looking to buy a bike that I can grow into. Anyway, enough of the intro...let me get to the question:

I have 2 bikes that I'm choosing between:
1) 2013 Giant Reign 1 (26er) $2450 (after 15% discount)
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/reign.1/11517/55878/#specifications

2) 2013 Specialized FSR Stumpjumper Comp 29er $2400 (after 15%)
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2013/sjfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp29

The list price was higher but these 2013 models come with a discount, so its hard to fine a better bike (component wise) for the same price. I have to say, I was oblivious to the wheel size war that's been going on for some years now. But reading up on the pros/cons, I think I would like to try a 29er. The benefits (speed, traction, roll) all seem to line up with my preferences and beginner style. The big draw to a 26er is for technical rides and responsiveness. I don't think I need that because I'm not all that good. Maybe in a few years. So this is my first crossroads.

Next, the giant is spec'd to the nines with high-end shimano everything and fox suspension but its a 26 rim. The stumpy has great specs too (equivalent SRAM components) but has Avid brakes. I've read too many posts already talking about these brakes squealing like a banshee and the durability issues. So are bad brakes a deal breaker? What are my options? I don't think the bike shop will cut me too much of a deal since I'm already getting a discount on the 2013 model.

I still have to give these a test drive (in the parking lot mind you) so I will get a feel for the comfort of the ride then. But on paper, its hard to deny the Reign has the Stumpy beat. But the wheel size looms in my mind. I think if it weren't for the Avid breaks, I would be all over the stumpy! FYI - I like the look of the stumpy better (more of a sleeper look).

Please help, I don't want to wrestle with this decision for too long before these 2013 models are snapped up!

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 3:26 Quote
Try asking the bike shop to swap over the Avids to a Shimano equivalent. Or buy it, take the Avids off and fit Shimano then sell the Avids (like I've done with my Nukeproof).

Just to confuse you even more have you thought about 27.5 wheels?

Posted: Feb 23, 2014 at 8:03 Quote
Check this out: http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bikes/Trail/Wicked-650B-Pro Amazing bikes!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010207
Mobile Version of Website