What tire setup is most popular? how wide is wide enough?

PB Forum :: Beginners
What tire setup is most popular? how wide is wide enough?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 8:51 Quote
I just bought a 08 Reign and was wondering what type of tires are best for AM riding? Now im not talking 26,27.5,29 I mean 2.1 2.35 ...... As I am just getting into owning a real bike I have heard using different sizes front and back skinnier or fat can make a big difference. Any preferences of brand would also be helpful. As a note looking for a tire to use all year in Vancouver Island trail conditions, no parks.

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 9:23 Quote
Tried various combos over the years,have settled on Maxxis 2.25 advantage on the rear,and 2.5 exo minion dhf front,fast,light assured set up either tubless or tubes

Posted: Feb 22, 2014 at 12:42 Quote
Whats the advantage if the wider tire on the front?

Posted: Feb 22, 2014 at 14:09 Quote
aircooled wrote:
advantage is a big volume tyre just slightly smaller than the 2.5 minion,advantage is a low resistance roller and the minion is very predicable front tyre

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2014 at 10:41 Quote
On my trail bike, I rode 2.25 maxxis ardent on the front and 2.25 crossmark on the rear for years. I ride the shore, squam and whistler. The crossmark is a super fast roller for the back and the ardent gives you the grip you need up front.

I built a new bike in the fall and decided to give Schwalbe tires a go. I ride 2.35 Hans Dampf in the front and 2.35 Nobby Nic in the rear. I have been exceptionally happy with this combo. They don't roll quite as fast as the crossmark, but the traction and feel of the tires are no comparison.

Minions are great tires. I have always ridden 2.5 minions on my DH bike. For what you're riding, I think you'll find it overkill, though.

Posted: Feb 23, 2014 at 10:52 Quote
DoubleDog wrote:
On my trail bike, I rode 2.25 maxxis ardent on the front and 2.25 crossmark on the rear for years. I ride the shore, squam and whistler. The crossmark is a super fast roller for the back and the ardent gives you the grip you need up front.

I built a new bike in the fall and decided to give Schwalbe tires a go. I ride 2.35 Hans Dampf in the front and 2.35 Nobby Nic in the rear. I have been exceptionally happy with this combo. They don't roll quite as fast as the crossmark, but the traction and feel of the tires are no comparison.

Minions are great tires. I have always ridden 2.5 minions on my DH bike. For what you're riding, I think you'll find it overkill, though.
I've run minions before,they are the best i find for the rocks and roots I ride,not into sculptured bike parks and trail centres,schwalbes just get torn to bits unless you run dual ply,which are two heavy,tyres are personal choice I suppose,the ardent is about the same size as the 2.5 minion,ardent blows up large and the minions quite small I find

Posted: Apr 3, 2014 at 3:45 Quote
aircooled wrote:

Higher (wider = higher) volume being run at low pressure acts as its own suspension, eating up little bumps and taking some bite out of the big ones.

Wider does much better on loose stuff and small obstacles on the trail. More grip area = better chance of one of the nobs touching a stable surface.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015174
Mobile Version of Website