Fast, flowy berms

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Fast, flowy berms
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 18:54 Quote
Does anybody know how to make these? I can make a decent berm but they aren't nearly as flowy or fast as those at bike parks.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2014 at 22:13 Quote
If it isn't flowy it's probably the wrong radius. If it feels like you slam into the wall of the berm when you enter it's too short. If you feel like you are barely connected to the ground, or you aren't "sticking" to the berm (it's a hard to describe feeling), it is too long. If it feels like a little bit of both the berm is probably oblong, which can be fun if it's done right, but usually isn't.

If it isn't fast it probably needs to get steeper and taller. If you mean it isn't fast because you have to brake in it or before it and you are afraid you'll fly out, it needs to be taller. This means you can get higher on the wall and lean farther over. The berm might also be to short in this case as well.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 12:23 Quote
From my experience, it takes more effort to make a good berm than it does to make a good jump.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 20:00 Quote
very true, and if not more effort, at the very least more time.

Posted: Mar 21, 2014 at 4:26 Quote
Yup berms take ages but they do make a good trail great, when im diggin i usually bring a bike and ride the corner first.
The radius of the tyre marks give a good idea of where the berm footprint will be and then build on top of that.

I know flat cornering is different but it has worked to give me an accurate radius, and after that what dirt-farmer said about height and steepness is bang on the money

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 10:41 Quote
I think the most important part about berms is the radius. The arc has to be just right for the speed, and it has to be free of any flat spots or changes in the arc.

Start by identifying your beginning and end points:
you want the beginning of the berm to line up with the outside edge of the feature before it, and the end of the berm to line up with the outside edge of the feature after it. this will ensure that its easy to enter, and spits you out where you want to go.

then work on connecting the two:
you wan the berm to have a nice deep bowl to it. a lot of berms I see are too shallow and don't allow you to gain speed or corner with confidence. A good berm should allow you to GAIN speed on top of getting you through the corner.

Next, Build it!:
as you work make sure you continually check your work to make sure you're pointed in the right direction. Stop and walk over to the feature before the berm, then walk through it to where you want to exit. now look back from the exit and make sure everything looks good. This has saved me many times from building an incorrect arc and will help you to keep everything lined up and flowing.

sadly its one of those things that comes with practice but hopefully that helps!
heres a pic of my yard, but see how the berm has a nice deep arc and lines up with the outside edges of the feature before and after?

shot marsh riding my new yard set up tonight despite the terrible light

Posted: May 3, 2014 at 5:34 Quote
great tips here

Posted: May 3, 2014 at 11:25 Quote
Holy shit that berm is amazing

Posted: May 29, 2014 at 7:33 Quote
I agree, this is the best berm i have ever see.

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 21:14 Quote
That Berm is beautiful! Eek

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 15:50 Quote
rmx1 wrote:
I think the most important part about berms is the radius. The arc has to be just right for the speed, and it has to be free of any flat spots or changes in the arc.

Start by identifying your beginning and end points:
you want the beginning of the berm to line up with the outside edge of the feature before it, and the end of the berm to line up with the outside edge of the feature after it. this will ensure that its easy to enter, and spits you out where you want to go.

then work on connecting the two:
you wan the berm to have a nice deep bowl to it. a lot of berms I see are too shallow and don't allow you to gain speed or corner with confidence. A good berm should allow you to GAIN speed on top of getting you through the corner.

Next, Build it!:
as you work make sure you continually check your work to make sure you're pointed in the right direction. Stop and walk over to the feature before the berm, then walk through it to where you want to exit. now look back from the exit and make sure everything looks good. This has saved me many times from building an incorrect arc and will help you to keep everything lined up and flowing.

sadly its one of those things that comes with practice but hopefully that helps!
heres a pic of my yard, but see how the berm has a nice deep arc and lines up with the outside edges of the feature before and after?

shot marsh riding my new yard set up tonight despite the terrible light
would love to ride that .

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014919
Mobile Version of Website