Creaky cranks?

• Previous Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 21:53 Quote
My cranks creak like hell when I pedal and it's annoying as hell. I have a cult bmx chain that I just bought, and a brand new bottom bracket so I know it's neither of the 2. Wtf is it?

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 6:38 Quote
check all your other bearings on your bike, a headset will creak when you pedal if it has gone too. Check your pedals too.

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 7:56 Quote
gnarcotic wrote:
check all your other bearings on your bike, a headset will creak when you pedal if it has gone too. Check your pedals too.
ok sweet. I will thanks man

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 9:07 Quote
Creaking doesn't necessarily mean damage or defect. It can just mean that someone didn't use enough grease when assembling the drivetrain. Threads of bottom bracket should have grease; the spindle your cranks sit on should have grease; the bolts holding the crank arms, the pedal threads. Pretty much everything.

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 10:14 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
Creaking doesn't necessarily mean damage or defect. It can just mean that someone didn't use enough grease when assembling the drivetrain. Threads of bottom bracket should have grease; the spindle your cranks sit on should have grease; the bolts holding the crank arms, the pedal threads. Pretty much everything.
so maybe just have the bb regreased?

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 11:12 Quote
nickTHEBEARcardone wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:

Yeah, well if you have the right tools, you could probably do it yourself, too.

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
nickTHEBEARcardone wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:

Yeah, well if you have the right tools, you could probably do it yourself, too.
I wish I did. I hate having to go to the shop every time something even minor goes wrong. I literally have a couple screw drivers, rubber mallet, pliers, and a multi tool with a chain breaker and a bunch of Allen keys

Posted: Apr 4, 2014 at 14:56 Quote
Pedal my guess,when I get the creaks, 90% of the time its the pedals,the other 10% off to the doctor I go...

Posted: Apr 5, 2014 at 2:35 Quote
Totally agree with cmc4130, grease will stop creaking and regular greasing will also save you a lot of money on parts in the long run, especially if you ride in the wet or keep your bike out of the house.

It sounds like you have most of the tools you need already, so only a couple more to get. Long term you will save money on learning to do it yourself, or getting a mate to show you.

Posted: Apr 5, 2014 at 3:08 Quote
semi-loose crank arms (where the pinch bolt or spindle bolt aren't fully tightened) will definitely cause that. seen it many times.

things to check:

- the bearings are fully greased
- ALL other metal to metal parts have a film of grease before assembly
- all bolts tightened down properly.

i have never seen creaky cranks happen if those things are done.

Posted: Apr 5, 2014 at 5:54 Quote
Euro BB?

Mine split the cup on the drive side (common with internal euro BB)

Creeked like mad till I replaced it

Posted: Apr 5, 2014 at 8:02 Quote
Like Aaronz25RS said, can be the bb if it cracked. If you grease up the splines during installation creaking shouldn't occur, make sure you tighten the bolts into the spindle evenly before the pinchbolts if you have pinchbolts. I've had and seen cheaper cranks where the splines get stretched/worn from abuse that will creak due to bad spline engagement, worst comes to worst you can justify some new running gear Salute

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 10:03 Quote
jmtbr wrote:
Like Aaronz25RS said, can be the bb if it cracked. If you grease up the splines during installation creaking shouldn't occur, make sure you tighten the bolts into the spindle evenly before the pinchbolts if you have pinchbolts. I've had and seen cheaper cranks where the splines get stretched/worn from abuse that will creak due to bad spline engagement, worst comes to worst you can justify some new running gear Salute
I've had the cranks for a good few years.. That could be it. We'll see.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 10:04 Quote
gnarcotic wrote:
Totally agree with cmc4130, grease will stop creaking and regular greasing will also save you a lot of money on parts in the long run, especially if you ride in the wet or keep your bike out of the house.

It sounds like you have most of the tools you need already, so only a couple more to get. Long term you will save money on learning to do it yourself, or getting a mate to show you.
I don't ride in the wet, but maybe riding in ultra dry is just as bad? Socal doesn't get much rain

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012857
Mobile Version of Website