DJ / All Around Mountain Bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
DJ / All Around Mountain Bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 16, 2014 at 23:19 Quote
Hello, Im looking at my first dirt jumper, but I have requirements. I am about 5'9" i believe and weigh 135 lbs.

It MUST have gears. like rear deriualler and front deriualler.

I do alot of trail riding and some minor downhill, but want a bike that i can do some real jumping and drops on.

I want front and rear disk brakes, because i like to some trails type riding as well. i could build a bike if somehow i could do it for cheaper.

gotta be pretty durable because i dont have much experience jumping yet.

Preferebly under $900 total...

i dont mind a used bike either.

sooo what are my options?

i really like the transition vagrant, kona shred, santa cruz jackal, and giant stp. also looked at the specialized p.street bikes but theyre not so trail friendly i dont think.

Posted: Apr 17, 2014 at 11:23 Quote
dillis wrote:
Hello, Im looking at my first dirt jumper, but I have requirements. I am about 5'9" i believe and weigh 135 lbs.

It MUST have gears. like rear deriualler and front deriualler.

I do alot of trail riding and some minor downhill, but want a bike that i can do some real jumping and drops on.

I want front and rear disk brakes, because i like to some trails type riding as well. i could build a bike if somehow i could do it for cheaper.

gotta be pretty durable because i dont have much experience jumping yet.

Preferebly under $900 total...

i dont mind a used bike either.

sooo what are my options?

i really like the transition vagrant, kona shred, santa cruz jackal, and giant stp. also looked at the specialized p.street bikes but theyre not so trail friendly i dont think.

Do you think you could do 1X9 ? I personally think it's plenty for most trails.

The main issue for the recurring question of a bike for both xc trail and jumping is whether you can raise the seat high enough for your preference, yet also get it low enough to jump with. Some people make trade offs and it works fine. Other people decide they need two separate bikes.

Posted: Apr 18, 2014 at 6:36 Quote
I have similar requirements but run 1x9. I ride a kona bass (single speed now). And an SE, Filth in 1x9. Both straight up dirt jumpers, both can be had for 900 or under if you look around, both can run gears... the big one, both have enough seat post to be ridden either way.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:37 Quote
Welll... Could live with a 1-9. I would have to rethink my wheelies but I could make it work. So are there any bikes that like come stock 1-9 or would I be better off with just buy a kona shred?

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 6:36 Quote
dillis wrote:
Welll... Could live with a 1-9. I would have to rethink my wheelies but I could make it work. So are there any bikes that like come stock 1-9 or would I be better off with just buy a kona shred?

http://www.ns-bikes.com/clash-1,50,pl.htm

Most 4x (4-cross) bikes have 1X9 or similar:
Scroll through this thread:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=18325&pagenum=932

Sit down sit-and-spin wheelies? You don't need em! Try learn to manual!! ; )

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 14:56 Quote
hey guys, I'm back again. I am looking to build a bike with used components but a new frame. I came across the Spank Puff on chainreactioncycles.com and was wondering if this bike is okay to dirtjump? No huge airs or tricks but I don't want to break it casing a jump or something. I will also probably learn to 180 on this bike and also do manuals but I wont be going huge or anything.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 15:19 Quote
ns surge. its crossed between a dirt jump & all mountain. i know of a guy who rides just dj on a size M frame. bombproof jump frame but will take longer forks so can ride PROPER GNARLY terrain if you so wish. fcuking love mine - ride the local bmx track on it, jump very well but also taken it around scottish /welsh trail centres & it handles extremely well at high speed!!

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
a recent pic of my surge.
my ns surge M. white industries eno cranks.hope 35mm stem.hope grips.aka bars.sdg circuit saddle.thomson masterpiece post.stans flow ex on switch evo.zee short cage with xtr.blackspire trail x chainguide.

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 16:30 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
ns surge. its crossed between a dirt jump & all mountain. i know of a guy who rides just dj on a size M frame. bombproof jump frame but will take longer forks so can ride PROPER GNARLY terrain if you so wish. fcuking love mine - ride the local bmx track on it, jump very well but also taken it around scottish /welsh trail centres & it handles extremely well at high speed!!

Hmm It looks freaking nice... I am 5'10" now so would I need a large

Also, is it realllllyyyyyy bomb proof? I don't wanna break or crack it learning 180s and small tricks like that. I'm sorta gonna try to do a budget build. I think my for sure plans are gonna be a manitou circus expert/comp? Fork. I dunno weather I should get the comp or go for the expert. Both are pretty expensive

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 20:43 Quote
Bump.

This bike I want to build is for all around, so some xc/commuting, light downhill, dirt jumping, and some street stuff.

I don't know what fork to put on a frame for a little of everything...
I was thinking 130mm manitou circus expert...

.... But you guys know more than me so help me choose stuff.

EDIT:

How about this?

Frame: NS Surge Evo (powder coated rootbeer brown by my uncle)
Fork: Manitou Circus Expert 130mm black
Wheelset: Azonic Outlaw black 36h
Grips:ODI Ruffian black

I think this is my plan... I don't know what parts for bottom bracket/cranks etc

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 10:00 Quote
You better get vanilla ice cream colored grips to go with root beer frame. ; /

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 10:03 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
You better get vanilla ice cream colored grips to go with root beer frame. ; /

Lol made my morning! Should I get white tires to go along with that Wink

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 10:11 Quote
dillis wrote:
a-d-e wrote:

Also, is it realllllyyyyyy bomb proof? I don't wanna break or crack it learning 180s and small tricks like that. I'm sorta gonna try to do a budget build. I think my for sure plans are gonna be a manitou circus expert/comp? Fork. I dunno weather I should get the comp or go for the expert. Both are pretty expensive
ns bikes are well regarded for their dirt jump frames & slopestyle frames & the surge is built to jump & take a hammering. if you plan to mostly jump/street trick this bike go size M absolutely, the top tube is real long, for you i'd say size M with a 50mm stem, i had to fit a 35mm stem to get it riding playful & i'm 5'7". great thing about these frames you can drop the saddle right down low for jumping & can set it up to run singlespeed.

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 18:05 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
dillis wrote:
a-d-e wrote:

ns bikes are well regarded for their dirt jump frames & slopestyle frames & the surge is built to jump & take a hammering. if you plan to mostly jump/street trick this bike go size M absolutely, the top tube is real long, for you i'd say size M with a 50mm stem, i had to fit a 35mm stem to get it riding playful & i'm 5'7". great thing about these frames you can drop the saddle right down low for jumping & can set it up to run singlespeed.

Hmm you really think a medium? I feel like I may grow a little more. I don't think any local bike shops carry any ns stuff. Can go and sit on one. If I were to order from chain reaction cycles can I sen it back if it feels too small?

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 20:34 Quote
photo
hammerschmidt makes 18 speed. Longest thompson post lets me go ride on trails

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013817
Mobile Version of Website