DH V's XC

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH V's XC
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 8:18 Quote
Forgive me, im a noob!
My mates have been getting into mountain biking so I thought id join them, I bought a DH bike (coz DH is where its at right!) but they tell me I should have bought a XC bike. So im just wondering what's involved with changing my DH bike into a XC bike? Surely the DH guys still need to go up the hill or am I just being totally naïve?

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 10:54 Quote
DH guys walk up or take shuttles or chairlifts.

If you do alot of pedaling a DH bike is going to be hard. So much of the effort you exert into each pedal stroke will get lost in the suspension travel.
To convert it from DH to xc sell it and buy an xc bike

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 12:26 Quote
what bike did you buy?

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 22:25 Quote
I bought a commencal meta 5.40

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 1:47 Quote
Jimijinx wrote:
I bought a commencal meta 5.40

That's not a downhill bike; ~150mm travel is widely considered all-mountain (200mm+ is downhill). It should climb OK, and on the downhill, you'll be able to thump your mates. What bikes have they got?

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:04 Quote
That's music to my ears Mike, not sure what all my mates bikes are, but a cannondale prophet, whyte T29 and some kinda specialized are amongst them. Smile

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:10 Quote
depends where/what kind of stuff you ride and if you are racing, but you got a nice all rounder

FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:06 Quote
Jimijinx wrote:
That's music to my ears Mike, not sure what all my mates bikes are, but a cannondale prophet, whyte T29 and some kinda specialized are amongst them. Smile

Sounds like they are more xc focused dude, your bike will batter em on the downs (although prophets are pretty quick) but be a bit more effort on the climbs and mile munchin side of things, depends on your riding style and previous experience really

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 22:29 Quote
I have a commencal meta 6, i quite enjoy it for all mountain type riding. I have a santa cruz v-10 as my dedicated dh bike, so my meta sees all of my non downhill specific riding and I feel it does everything pretty well!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011885
Mobile Version of Website