Opinion on first road bike

PB Forum :: 29ers
Opinion on first road bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 16:47 Quote
Hey Guy's,

I'm in the market for my first road bike. I'm looking at the following makes Cannondale, Giant, Trekk. I'm leaning towards either the Cannondale CAAD8 5 105 or Giant Defy Composite 3. Would you recommend going to a full carbon as my first road ? Or stick with Aluminium.

The CAAD8 retails for $1410 where the Defy is $1649. Is the added $250 worth for the sacrifice in component but full carbon frame ? I think that the Giant would be something I could grow into by upgrading components later on where the the CAAD8 I'm sort of stuck purchasing a new bike if I want to step up the next level.

Thoughts ?

I'm open to any other suggestions as well, I've just started looking around and plan on going to test ride this weekend.

Posted: Apr 25, 2014 at 21:02 Quote
Hey! I personally sell Giant at the local shop i work at, and ive got to admit that the Defy Comp 3 is a crazy bike! If you plan on taking your cycling seriously and not only use it as a commuter, go the extra few bucks and you'll save money in the long run. I highly suggest trying them both out (i dont know where youre buying it from but id ask them for a test ride) every client that has come in looking for a roadie with only an alu frame budget will fall in love after riding a Composite Technology bike. Go out, ride them both for a good five minutes. and im sure you'll be convinced. The ride is much smoother and is quite different in my opinion. Where are you buying it from if you don mind me asking? i noticed you were from the ottawa region. Any ways, hope i was of a bit of help. Good luck! great riding!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006797
Mobile Version of Website