Getting into DH..What kind of bike is for me?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Getting into DH..What kind of bike is for me?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 25, 2014 at 17:25 Quote
Hey im just getting into DH and in need of a bike. Im abt 5' 10'' 140lbs a skinner f*cker so what type of bike and size of bike would yall recommend for me just starting out? The type of riding I want to do is going to be DH at Mountain Creek Bike Park in Vernon, NJ and also trail riding in Six Mile Run State Park. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: May 10, 2014 at 16:36 Quote
if you're new then get whatever bike you can.. knowing a budget would help suggestions also.

take learning Dh slowly, and KNOW the run before you launch yourself, bad things happen quickly in dh, good things do too though.

Salute

Posted: May 10, 2014 at 17:04 Quote
I ended up going w a 2012 specialized status for $1400. Altho I just brought it to a shop today mainly bc of the front wheel making noises n the wheels not spinning as free as it should be somethings too tight jn there isk if its the pads or if somethings off or what. You hve any ideas of what it might be? The guys at the shop were talking about w few dif parts of the front brake that it might be which is mostly foregin to me since im new to dh n have never had a bike w hydro disk brakes. Im praying its a simple fix and nothing major. Of course when I was at the mans house looking at the bike the wheel spun as free as possible n nothing was tight at all of course w my luck it happens when i get home lol what do u think it could be?

Posted: May 10, 2014 at 23:33 Quote
the status is a good ride... could be the brake is not properly centered. or a hub issue.

take the brake caliper off, does the wheel spin good ?

no > its the hub
yes> bingo, your brake is not centered or has pistons off, or maybe a bent rotor.

hub could be blown or just simply need grease. Id bet on the brake though.. what kind of brake ?

also you should know that in DH you end up braking lots of stuff sometimes.. sometimes its expensive.

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 13:49 Quote
I ended up bringing it to a local bike shop n had them take a look theyre not sure yet but said it could be the brakes as well. I looked up the specs for the front break and here it is: Avid Elixir 1, hydraulic disc, tool-less reach adj., metallic pad, HS-1 rotor, 200mm rotor. The guy at the shop said something about a recall on one of the parts of the break or maybe the whole thong bc he said if its covered ill get a lever, cable and rotor for free I think which would be nice if not itll be abt a 110 dollar fix. N yeah I kno abt the having to replace parts frequently with dh n yeah it sucks but its way too much fun to have just that discourage me from doing it u kno. Just gonna try to prolong it as much as I can n hope for the best but prepare for the worse lol

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 18:52 Quote
well, honestly I cannot say enough shit about avid for their brakes. I have some pretty bad injuries from a brake failure, but also have friends who have their brakes and have had no issues (( I got a bad batch ) all that aside, you will needc to learn how to do hydraulic bleeds on avid brakes cause they need em often, there is a good video on youtube.... learn how, you will need to know how.

OR

save money and get some more reliable brakes.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010243
Mobile Version of Website