How to improve my acceleration

PB Forum :: Beginners
How to improve my acceleration
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2014 at 5:39 Quote
Hi

I am looking for a way to increase my acceleration at the start and mid runs. This can be trail or DH. The issue I have is that I am a small guy at 5’ 3”, I don’t have a particularly fast cadence or a massive amount of leg power. I am currently run 1x10. 38x11-36.

I am looking at two options to begin with other than training which I am doing. 1. Change my crank from 175mm to 165mm which will be better for my inside leg length at 28”, I am thinking although it will reduce leverage it may make the pedalling easier in general. 2. Drop to a 36t, will this really make much difference to the acceleration and I know I will lose some top end. The ratios seem close.

I am after some opinions around the 2 options and which would give me the better return as a first step. I am sure ultimately the only way to really know is to try it but I would like to clarify my thoughts and hear other opinions.

Cheers.

Posted: May 7, 2014 at 10:17 Quote
Pumping the trail can in most cases give you far more speed than pedaling will without exerting the energy required to pedal, I ride an agressive hardtail, so when I try to crank on a rough or wild trail I bounce about, so I have perfected my pumping and I work all trails I ride for more speed best advice!

Posted: May 7, 2014 at 18:18 Quote
Pumping is key to going fast.

I practice pumping at BMX tracks on the pump section or pump tracks to get my speed notched and teach yourself manuling so you can get those rollers really dialed...

Posted: May 8, 2014 at 0:46 Quote
Where you mentioned a shorter crank will make it easier due to less leverage, im afraid your wrong. It will require more effort as you have less leverage on the BB and chain ring.

Otherwise main thing for speed is learn to pump and corner! Cornering is where races are won! and practice riding different lines, not just those everyone else takes, you may find a quicker smoother line choice!

Also if its for acceleration, get interval training doing sprints etc, and other fitness related exercise for the legs. you want to increase your speed and strength to put the power down.

So improve your skills and fitness and it will come, and just shred your bike! More you ride the better you will get!

Posted: May 8, 2014 at 3:54 Quote
Andydtk238 wrote:
Where you mentioned a shorter crank will make it easier due to less leverage, im afraid your wrong. It will require more effort as you have less leverage on the BB and chain ring.

Otherwise main thing for speed is learn to pump and corner! Cornering is where races are won! and practice riding different lines, not just those everyone else takes, you may find a quicker smoother line choice!

Also if its for acceleration, get interval training doing sprints etc, and other fitness related exercise for the legs. you want to increase your speed and strength to put the power down.

So improve your skills and fitness and it will come, and just shred your bike! More you ride the better you will get!

Thanks. I did say it would reduce leverage but make it easier to peddle as the pedal rotation will be smaller for my size. As you say ultimately leg fitness and strength is the key, I was just wondered if there was anything I could do to ease the process. Almost everybody I see is running a 36t, track riders use a shorter crank to gain acceleration also.

Posted: May 8, 2014 at 22:43 Quote
How to build leg mass jog and run everyday take your downhill bike for a good half hour to an hour spin on the hardest gear around town may get funny looks but who cares because those people usually suck anyways...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008984
Mobile Version of Website