Need some options for a 29er!

PB Forum :: 29ers
Need some options for a 29er!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 1, 2014 at 17:06 Quote
Hey Guys!
I'm new here to the pinkbike forum, but it seemed that this was the best place to ask this question: What is the best bang for the buck 29er that you guys can recommend? My budget is about 700$ (i can stretch to 800 at most). Looking for something to take out on trails along with recreational riding. Not looking for anything too high end, might upgrade some components in the future, but nothing immediate.

The two main bikes that stand out to me right now are:

GT Timberline 1.0 Mech ($499.99)
GT Karakom ($599.99)
Specialized Hardrock Sport 29 ($ ???)

If you guys could point out some pros and cons of these bikes or add your own opinion, that'd be much appreciated! Thanks

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 20:50 Quote
Djmonize13...

The bikes that you are looking at are not a bad "bang for the buck"... However, given your budget, I think that you might be limiting yourself with those choices, unless your budget really caps out at $700.

I, like yourself, am new to Pinkbike and the 29er community, but I've been riding a long time and spent a ton of time and energy researching "great" bikes within my price range ($750-$850). I ended up purchasing a 2013 model Scott Scale 970 earlier this year (total out the door was $839; for a bike that retailed for $1100+ in 2013). Don't sell yourself short... the previous year model bikes are phenomenal deals and you might still be able to find some if you call around. Year model to year model, most manufacturers only change a few things; you end up getting a better bike at a greatly reduced price.

Just my two cents... Take a look at a few bikes you would love to own (that meet your needs and riding style), then call around to a few dealers and see if they have any of the previous year models left that they still haven't sold.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 23:01 Quote
Newbie here as well, I was shopping around for a while looking for something around that range as well, found this deal and thought it was perfect, and you might think so also. With the money left over you can do some upgrades. But overall it's a great bike for the price. I do agree with Shane you can get previous year models that are just as good. Found a good local deal on craigslist so I didn't end up getting this one like I planned but I would have !

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1138985_-1_400327__400327

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.056301
Mobile Version of Website