First DH trail build progress & discussion!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
First DH trail build progress & discussion!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 22:56 Quote
Hey guys, found a nice patch of land not too far away from my house and me and a couple buds have started building. So far weve only built one small jump and shaped a natural drop, so before we get too far into it i have a few questions for you guys that have done this before. First off, tehcnically the area is part of a provincial park but theres already some bike trails that run through it and the area we chose has almost no foot traffic, but still do you think this could end up being a problem?
And second, In some parts is very rocky with not much dirt, so building up berms i could see being a huge issue in the future, right now we just have to take those corners slow haha

Im probably gunna go up tomorrow and take some pictures. Its pretty cool up there because theres already tons of natural rock drops and terrain, and a large area that could be utilized. Theoretically if this first build goes well i could probably make a whole bunch of trails or atleast different options for lines, because there is ALOT of potential spots.

Anyways, just wondering if you guys would be interested in following a build blog, and more importantly do you think its a good idea building a trail up there / do u have any ideas for building up the corners when dirt is not readily available.

Thanks!Smile

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 23:39 Quote
I've been building a DH trail for the last 18 months. Nearly all of the trail is rocky. On the berms i build them with rocks and slowly fill the gaps with dirt. IT takes ages but is worth it in the end.

Posted: Jun 13, 2014 at 16:50 Quote
I would try to use the rocks and natural terrain to make some natural features, not looking man made. Try not to make it look too groomed. If you go in with a mattock (pickaxe looking tool) you can probably get to the dirt level, and if you have to, utilize the rocks into the berms to save precious dirt.

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2014 at 23:14 Quote
Redbull21 wrote:
I would try to use the rocks and natural terrain to make some natural features, not looking man made. Try not to make it look too groomed. If you go in with a mattock (pickaxe looking tool) you can probably get to the dirt level, and if you have to, utilize the rocks into the berms to save precious dirt.

Yea so far the first berm were making has enough dirt, and most of the features were looking to build will probably be natural, although we did build a little wooden ladder down. Ill post pics when I get off mobile!

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2014 at 15:55 Quote
So this is what we have so far:
photo
after this little jump it leads on to a small rideover/drop
photo
And then after this we made a ladder ride down
3 hours of work
And then into the berm which is still under progress!
Berm wooden ladder

Hopefully gunna finish the berm and start on some features after it today & tomorrow

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 at 4:11 Quote
Just be glad you actually have some downhill potential in your area :/

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 at 5:36 Quote
I would maybe make a gradual little lip at the drop so it sends you and then try to make a really nice berm to carry your speed but nice work so far!

Also, if you havent test rode it yet i suggest you do so if for some reason it doesnt work out the way you want it to you can change it at the baby stages.

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2014 at 17:32 Quote
Redbull21 wrote:
I would maybe make a gradual little lip at the drop so it sends you and then try to make a really nice berm to carry your speed but nice work so far!

Also, if you havent test rode it yet i suggest you do so if for some reason it doesnt work out the way you want it to you can change it at the baby stages.
yea ive tested it, it works pretty good but thanks for the advice on the drop, definitely gunna try that out!

Posted: Jul 8, 2014 at 13:21 Quote
looks like a sick zone, any progress?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.128889
Mobile Version of Website