Non-slip Northshore

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Non-slip Northshore
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jul 6, 2014 at 9:04 Quote
Gonna build a northshore in some woods, i noticed in the skopestyle at les-2-alpes they used a red paint.

Does anybody know what it is or have any suggestions apart from chicken wire how to make it less slippy in the wet

Cheers

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 8:51 Quote
I'm not sure how durable it would be but what about the shed roofing felt stuff?

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 12:30 Quote
Building Northshore in the UK is a massive pain in the anus. Up at hamilton hill, my local spot (the guys up there built all the northshore for forest pines too) they have just ripped out tonnes of it and left only a couple of drops as it was such a liability in the wet. They did use chicken wire but forestry don't like that. If your building straight drops and stuff, you should be fine with rough cut wood (don't ride in the wet however) but with jacobs ladders and stuff, it really isn't worth it, just dig in some berms.

These are the huge wallrides up at hamilton hill, great in the dry but lethal in the wet, been like that since day one.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/525349_379518392088719_745657755_n.jpg

FL
Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 4:59 Quote
Thanks Fella's

It may be easier just building a dirt track then

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 18:43 Quote
The trend here has been to dirt top the ladders. Its more work but if done right they last and don;t get slick in the wet.

FL
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 4:06 Quote
Thanks, what does 'dirt top' mean and how do you do it?

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 7:08 Quote
Build out of wood and then cover with 6 inches or so of dirt, cant help but feel the UK climate would be a bit too varied for making this work long term. Perhaps worth a punt it you close your gaps between boards and slightly shutter the edges but that's not speaking from experience.

FL
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:28 Quote
What effect do you think the varied climate would have?

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 3:25 Quote
We dirt top all the drops down at steyning and it seems to work though there is nothing longer than a 10 foot but the dirt doesn't seem to wash away to much as there is tarps running between the mud and the wooden part

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 12:06 Quote
I found an epoxy product, Chemsol that I am going to try. I have some old bridges that are quite slick, so I'm going to clean them off and then apply this material. They want me to sand the old bridges down, but that' not going to happen in the middle of the woods, so I may loose on long term durability. It's worth the try.

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 12:06 Quote
I found an epoxy product, Chemsol that I am going to try. I have some old bridges that are quite slick, so I'm going to clean them off and then apply this material. They want me to sand the old bridges down, but that' not going to happen in the middle of the woods, so I may loose on long term durability. It's worth the try.

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 6:27 Quote
i took the top layer of soil off and covered the top of this drop i made, just cut it about 3" thick so it was like bits of turf.

photo

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 8:54 Quote
Don't recommend putting chemical based products on a trail. Good way to give anti bikers leverage to have the trail torn down. Environmental hazards and such. Keep in mind it rains 90% of the year in BC and the dirt top bridges have been holding.

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 12:04 Quote
I was thinking about the constant wet and dry of our climate. Seems like a few of the more experienced builders on here have it sorted, the polythene membrane is a good idea.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 16:38 Quote
Chicken wire it, it's the standard solution and works great, as long as your not on slicks your golden. I find the hexagonal stuff works best. For ultra grip, grab some fence paint and mix it with sand and roller it on. Jobs a Goodun

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016690
Mobile Version of Website