Riding older DH bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Riding older DH bikes
O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 14:38 Quote
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with riding an older Bike. You just have to make sure it is safe. Old bikes depending on how abused they are might have weld cracks or stress fractures. Karpiels, Intense used to have issues at the welds and Santa Cruz Super 8's broke the rear swing arm at the dropout. I have a 1998 Foes DHS Slammer tube with a 2001 Monster-T 3" Gazzi conversion. Fork has 6.5" rear a solid 8" travel. It was my old race rig and one of the fastest on the east coast back in 2001.
1998 Foes DHS Slammer Crack Frame Lower gusset of Head Tube weld crack
1998 Foes DHS Slammer Crack Frame Bottom bracket right weld crack
1998 Foes DHS Slammer Crack Frame Bottom bracket left weld crack

I went to rebuild it this year after taking a 12 year leave of the DH scene due to injury and noticed 3 weld cracks after i removed the paint. One along the bottom gusset of the head tube and two at the upper welds of the bottom bracket housing. If it can be rewelded professionally I will rebuild it. But I don't think I will be dropping 10+ foot drops on it. I'll just use it for flowwy stuff. If it can't be fixed it will be great wall art.

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 7:19 Quote
Ah man sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get it fixed.

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 at 11:38 Quote
PMPN8EZ wrote:
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with riding an older Bike. You just have to make sure it is safe. Old bikes depending on how abused they are might have weld cracks or stress fractures. Karpiels, Intense used to have issues at the welds and Santa Cruz Super 8's broke the rear swing arm at the dropout. I have a 1998 Foes DHS Slammer tube with a 2001 Monster-T 3" Gazzi conversion. Fork has 6.5" rear a solid 8" travel. It was my old race rig and one of the fastest on the east coast back in 2001.

photo

photo

photo

I went to rebuild it this year after taking a 12 year leave of the DH scene due to injury and noticed 3 weld cracks after i removed the paint. One along the bottom gusset of the head tube and two at the upper welds of the bottom bracket housing. If it can be rewelded professionally I will rebuild it. But I don't think I will be dropping 10+ foot drops on it. I'll just use it for flowwy stuff. If it can't be fixed it will be great wall art.

Get 'er welded man, it'll live again as long as you get it annealed and age hardened post welding (and you get a proper job done of it)

Hit up Brent Foes, he might even offer to do it for you...

Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 15:45 Quote
Not mine, but saw this beast a while ago and it has to be the best old school huck bike I have ever seen. I look at this and think of the insane segments of Josh Bender from the early NWD videos.

Norco with 12 inch Marzocchi

Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 15:47 Quote
Anyone remember this awesome contraption? Would love to get my hands on one of these.

photo

Posted: Oct 25, 2015 at 7:41 Quote
bowenjaykb wrote:
Not mine, but saw this beast a while ago and it has to be the best old school huck bike I have ever seen. I look at this and think of the insane segments of Josh Bender from the early NWD videos.

Wow supermonster and grimeca system 18s on hope rotors on a 2005 norco vps aline .

Definitley huck worthy

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2015 at 7:46 Quote
f*ck-thepolice wrote:
bowenjaykb wrote:

Wow supermonster and grimeca system 18s on hope rotors on a 2005 norco vps aline .

Definitley huck worthy
Am I the only one who is noticing the shimano airlines system? How bad ass is that!

Posted: Oct 25, 2015 at 7:55 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
f*ck-thepolice wrote:
bowenjaykb wrote:

Definitley huck worthy
Am I the only one who is noticing the shimano airlines system? How bad ass is that!

Definitley noticed just forgot to mention it because I can't look at the photo when I type lol.

Bad ass for sure

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 0:17 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
I ride a 2005 Trek Session 7 all stock except for Azonic Outlaws, Rock shox Totem, Elixer 5's, and Nevegal 2.5r/2.7fBig Grin . Love it and not planning on getting rid of it. I spent 500$ on it total.

Heres a pic
photo

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 16:04 Quote
That's a sweet ride man

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 10:38 Quote
I rode a 2005 stinky up until this spring. Now upgraded to an 09 turner dhr. Just cant see dropping 3k + on a bike, that wont do anything better than my 900 dollar 6 year old bike.

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 12:40 Quote
mfrdhracer wrote:
I rode a 2005 stinky up until this spring. Now upgraded to an 09 turner dhr. Just cant see dropping 3k + on a bike, that wont do anything better than my 900 dollar 6 year old bike.

Well said.

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 18:31 Quote
mfrdhracer wrote:
Very sick bike those turner dhr's. I almost bought an 09' also. It was $900 with a 2010 boxxer team, dhx 5.0, code brakes, xo shifter & derailleur and outlaw wheels. But instead, I got a 2010 demo 8 for $1500 two and a half years ago. Crappier spec, except for the wheels. I'm more than happy with the demo now that I've changed all the components to what I wanted. I have maybe $2500 total into it. Every part I got brand new, except for the frame and fork. I just can't justify spending three times or more that much for a new bike that I'll still spend money on changing half of the components anyway.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022114
Mobile Version of Website